No announcement yet.

Then and Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robin wins it for the ugliest car so far. Holey hell, a guards red long nose big bumper 72! It doesn't get much more f%^*ed up than that!
    Great work turning something so diabolical into something beautiful Robin.

Comment

Very nice Craig
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

You have a short memory Scotty, the 73 Targa you bought from me has to be a candidate, and the finished product was amazing

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
          You have a short memory Scotty, the 73 Targa you bought from me has to be a candidate, and the finished product was amazing
          Yes absolutely mate - I'm just digging up the photos for it. I'll be adding a couple of doozies to this list.

Comment

Okay, here's a couple of my horror to heaven stories.

This one was an Aussie 73.5 T targa that I bought off Chris. Man it was horrendous to look at, but the factory spec was amazing, and the engine - by virtue of a complete fluke - was bone dry down the centre seam and the gearbox was perfect. Chris and I had a very, um, interesting test drive in that car. Clutch was shot, wipers were intermittent and the rain was pouring down

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_0742.jpg
            And here was the finished product - this is now in Melbourne and was a ripper of a car to drive. The fully rebuilt CIS and strong 2.4 motor (mated to the original 4-speed!) meant that it felt as powerful as a well sorted 2.7.

IMG_1372.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post

Very nice Craig
              Thanks Clyde, it'd be nice to use it a little more but COVID just cancelled the rest of the HSRCA calendar for 2021 ...

Did you buy the '72T because it was a'72 and green, can't have bought it for the condition of it's body
              Craig
              12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
              1972 2.4E Targa project
              1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by SM911 View Post
                Okay, here's a couple of my horror to heaven stories.

This one was an Aussie 73.5 T targa that I bought off Chris. Man it was horrendous to look at, but the factory spec was amazing, and the engine - by virtue of a complete fluke - was bone dry down the centre seam and the gearbox was perfect. Chris and I had a very, um, interesting test drive in that car. Clutch was shot, wipers were intermittent and the rain was pouring down

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_0742.jpg
                And here was the finished product - this is now in Melbourne and was a ripper of a car to drive. The fully rebuilt CIS and strong 2.4 motor (mated to the original 4-speed!) meant that it felt as powerful as a well sorted 2.7.

IMG_1372.jpg
                Stunning before and after
                Craig
                12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                1972 2.4E Targa project
                1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

For an update on one of the early 911s, owned by Robin Fowler, Nick wright and Andrew Farmer... fabulously looked after I must add!
                  it is on its way back to original authenticity!
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by bjc911 View Post
                    For an update on one of the early 911s, owned by Robin Fowler, Nick wright and Andrew Farmer... fabulously looked after I must add!
                    it is on its way back to original authenticity!
                    Pretty cool.
                    Original sporto?
                    Ask the guys to check the engine lid for vin 419 stamped into it. Dr. B. states vin 11800379 in his latest book as change over from early center bar lid to later version with three bar grille/ lid mid-November.
                    Look forward to more updates on this one.
                    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Yeah have been emailing Dr B on it as it has the ambient temp gauge, and we have had conversations if factory or dealer ( hamiltons) cut in. Turns out they appear dealer cut out, a bit rough.
                      He, like you and me are waiting to see, as it was a Nov 67 build and chances are its an out of whack chassis number for the lid ( been quite a few comments they become hybrid 67/68 from factory ( it has original elephant hide door cards etc. simply it is a sporto and either the 419 will be there or/and it should have a sporto script holes. Weirdly it was originally ivory white, and it appears 100% panel correct, including ivory white under the black on the engine lid in a scratch off area.
                      I have photos from Andrew Farmer back in the early 90s and its been black for a long long time... so that mystery will likely unravel with the paint strip.
                      Will update when and what paint stripping tells us.

Comment

Quick update on the 68 S
                        The stripping has begun and its looks like a Jack mishap (menacing jack points) is as bad as it gets. Pin hole rust in 1 rear tail lights and panels are fantastic! Lucky I know
                        As always it just makes it more intriguing.

So I am calling on all old timers/historians on this one. This was the originally Ivory White Kahlbetzer car.

I have been fortunate enough to speak to all owners back to Andrew Farmer who owned it in the early 80's and used it as they should be used.. see the photo.

So it was bare metal when it went from White to Black and it appears the use of lead. I am thinking late 70's, which means someone loved the car as the value was not in it for a repaint in those days, for know reason but you can?
                        My Guess is it was a Kahlbetzer choice to change colour and the workman ship was exceptional. Its no scret they could afford it.

If anyone has a clue when and who painted it from white to Black, that would ease a curious mind?
                        This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

20220119_173820.jpg Good bones bjc911.
                          Got to be happy with that!
                          Somebody must of loved it as you say.
                          I owned a 71 xj6 swb Jaguar 4.2 lt manual back in mid 80's. Did a bare metal paint job on that before and after work.
                          Bribed the tradesman with beers to teach me how to lead wipe/metal finish. This car was worth bugger all back then but I liked it and it taught me plenty, actually may have made a small $ profit when selling.
                          Last edited by mrar; 21-01-22, 08:06 PM. Reason: Found pics
                          Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Here's my 2.4s which I bought in 1997, it's really still a work in progress that's going nowhere because I haven't really lived in Oz for the last 10 year's and not even been back since covid.
                            Anyway it's lovely to own and something to look forward to when I get back.
                            Some parts of the work I did myself in TAFE but had the final finishing and painting done professionally and was done as a rolling restoration.
                            This gallery has 24 photos.

Comment

It's not finished but still, quite a difference already:

before (2014)

Now:
                              1973 911T Coupe
                              1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Originally posted by shanet View Post
                                Here's my 2.4s which I bought in 1997, it's really still a work in progress that's going nowhere because I haven't really lived in Oz for the last 10 year's and not even been back since covid.
                                Anyway it's lovely to own and something to look forward to when I get back.
                                Some parts of the work I did myself in TAFE but had the final finishing and painting done professionally and was done as a rolling restoration.
                                Good to hear from you Shane, 72S is certainly a nice thing to have in your back posket
                                Clyde Boyer
                                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                                President
                                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                                X