No announcement yet.

Build thread: 69 911S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I know. Well mrar got me some swing arms so I need to drop the engine next and might get in there with a paintbrush then... best forum post I read on this said the right technique is "to do as the factory did. Have a beer at lunch, lean your beer gut over the back with a black paint brush, and slap it around the obvious areas". Ensures you miss all the crevices that indicate a period correct job

Comment

Quick update:
      • Attended the PCNSW Concourse at Fagan Park - just unjudged Treffen category. Needed more 901's out there!
      • Changed rear deco trim from narrow to wide - will be selling original narrow trim shortly if anyone wants it
      • Sourced original Durant large mirror
      • Now have date matching Deep6 Fuchs all round including spare - need reanodising
      • Sourced original comfort front seats
      • Sourced 1969 decklid and lights
      • Changed airbox snorkel from cutoff to full length
      • Jack restored - thanks D Miller - now I just need to understand if it's painted blue on the end. I believe Sea Blue model paint works.
      • MFI is working well - Need to wire in the microswitch and stop solenoid as it backfires occasionally off acceleration (while engine braking etc)
      It's a real pleasure to drive given the engine appears to have been bored out to about 2.3L and race MFI cams added. The next step should be a full body respray in the original burgandy, but I struggle because 1) I prefer yellow and the current paint is in good condition and 2) I can drive it without worrying about stone chips.

PXL_20221207_214916655.jpg
      PXL_20221120_015852487.jpg

Comment

While the MFI sound and acceleration are excellent, on deceleration it sounded like gunfire. After talking with others, I realised the stop solenoid and microswitch were not connected. I also wanted to change my old and red spark leads for a new set. So it was time for some electrical work.

I bought the Stoddard replica spark leads from SMC (https://sierramadrecollection.com/pr...6-69-89-p24362), however the plugs are a bit shorter than the original and don't really fit. See new on left and original (with red wire) on right:
        ​​
        WhatsApp Image 2023-03-19 at 3.03.54 PM.jpg

Pulling the wire out, it's a woodscrew type setup, which made the connectors pretty easy to carefully swap over.

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-25 at 6.14.47 PM.jpg

Then there was the problem of the RPM transducer. Unfortunately a diode and a transistor had both shorted out and needed to be replaced. Luckily there are some great threads out there:

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-30 at 11.59.54 AM.jpg

All fixed and the frequencies are reading correctly. Now to adjust the microswitch once the rain stops...

Comment

Amazing work on the RPM transducer
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
          X