Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

latest thoughts on batteries?

hey folks

had to roll start the 911 on a little family outing to the park yesterday... initially thought it was the starter motor, but now actually think the battery is stuffed. probably 8-10 years old now...

anyone have thoughts on what's best out there at the moment? assume 12V lithium isn't value for money yet...

Cheers

Rich

BTW, was the first time we've all been in the 911 together at the same time... and geez the suspension didn't like it much - had to avoid all the speed humps too...
    Attached Files
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Rich, the Odyssey sealed batteries are often used in early 911's as they dont spill acid and hold charge well. I think they will fit in yr battery box area but check dimensions anyway.

Many dealers carry them but here is one link: https://www.rjbatt.com.au/products/brands/odyssey
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
      hey folks

had to roll start the 911 on a little family outing to the park yesterday... initially thought it was the starter motor, but now actually think the battery is stuffed. probably 8-10 years old now...

anyone have thoughts on what's best out there at the moment? assume 12V lithium isn't value for money yet...

Cheers

Rich

BTW, was the first time we've all been in the 911 together at the same time... and geez the suspension didn't like it much - had to avoid all the speed humps too...
      Great family pic Richard...my the blonde bomber has changed!!!
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Yeah, she ain’t so blonde anymore!

so, actually (roughly) measured the battery compartment… never liked how my batteries have always stuck out beyond the box…

L - 22cm
        H - 18cm
        W - min 13, max 16

based on that, only the PC625 or PC535 would actually fit inside the battery box? And not sure the CCA would be up to the task?

what am i missing?!?
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

(Oh, and thx Phil for that link…)
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I'll put in my 2 cents..... The one expensive Odyssey that I tried, many years ago, lasted about a week after the warranty expired. Most modern wet cells are extremely spill resistant and I have had a long succession in my 911E over the last 3o+ years. I have never seen the hint of any liquid from any of them in normal, non-track, use. I doubt that they could sell them in Bunnings if there was a chance of spilt acid.

I'm currently using a modified single Exide Extreme DIN44MF that cost about $125 and has a 42 month warranty. (510CCA) I had to cut off the two plastic base hold down lugs, so that it fit. I keep a spare Delkor DIN 44 in the driver's side compartment as a backup. (Not connected and occasionally topped up.) I chose the DIN44 for the extra CCA. They even come with a flap cover for the positive terminal.....

Very nice family pic. Brings back memories of my family driving down to the Lorne pub in my car.
            Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Rich, it sounds like you didnt leave your car stored wiht a battery (trickle) charger connected hence the battery died. Phil Hearn at Auto Coupe used to supply me with BOND lead-acid batteries that fitted well into my 2 battery boxes on my 72 911E. from memory these fitted just right into these smaller battery boxes and the terminals did clear (incl the plastic covers).

However, these batteries did apprently expel some liquid/acid when constantly left on a (smart) charger which was supposed to maintain them in a "float" charge state. Over time, there was acid getting down into the front cross member and when I went for the bare metal respray at Jasons, he noted bad internal rusing of this important cross member, which we assumed was due to leaking acid, since the car lived inside, under cover the whole time.

Thats why I suggested the Odyssey sealed batteries (or any other high CCA sealed battery). I would not go for a Lithium battery because you need to ahve the corect charging regime set for these and it would require changes to your alternator/charging setup. I know this because I changed out many batteries on my cruising yacht to LiPO4 type and needed to revise all charger settings incl the fixed sore chargers as well as the Alternator controllers.

Whatever you choose, will you plan to leave the car stored on a good, smart charger system when garaged ?
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

So yeah, probably amazing the battery has lasted this long… only occasionally had it hooked up to the ctek mx5.0…. And have driven it even less frequently than that lately.

plan is to put the ctek fixed connector on and leave it trickling whatever the solution (and yeah, no lithium planned at this point).

similarly, i have had acid leaking previously… so going with agm or gel.

determined to find something that actually fits inside the box (or close to it).

Wondering whether something like a Fullriver HC35 would work… have never heard of the brand - so might be a $200 doorstop.
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Found a link for it… 131 wide so should fit (though suspect height is missing the raised terminals)…

https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/s...2729/hc35.html
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I have Fullriver's in my '70. They're OK and seem to hold a charge well. My 993 spends way more time hooked to the Ctek.
                    '97 993 - new toy
                    '95 993 - on the chopping block
                    '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Comment

Hi Rich - I've run the Fullriver batteries, and we use them a bit at work. Much cheaper than Odyssey and they seem to last just as long.

Cheers
                      Cam Arnott
                      Looking for engine #6208151
                      1970 911E (Sold)
                      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                      2 x Split Screen Kombis
                      TYP 901 Register # 78
                      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by CamBiscuit View Post
                        Hi Rich - I've run the Fullriver batteries, and we use them a bit at work. Much cheaper than Odyssey and they seem to last just as long.

Cheers
                        Thanks Cam - do you have a model number by chance?
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Mine are HC28, and Cam may have installed…
                          '97 993 - new toy
                          '95 993 - on the chopping block
                          '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Comment

Yep sounds right!
                            Cam Arnott
                            Looking for engine #6208151
                            1970 911E (Sold)
                            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                            2 x Split Screen Kombis
                            TYP 901 Register # 78
                            Early S Registry # 1076