Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes

On a couple of recent spirited drives I’ve found the brakes a little wanting at times. They are stock T setup and consumables (incl rubber lines) were refreshed as part of recent restore. Any suggestions to improve the stock setup? I’m never going to track the car so don’t need/want to go overboard.
    '97 993 - new toy
    '95 993 - on the chopping block
    '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Sierra Madre are selling PMB brake line sets now I see... I am considering some for the Carrera 3.0.

I would look at putting racing brake fluid in - that improved the performance and pedal feel in my swb on the few occasions I ran it in supersprints / regularity.

In addition (depending upon what front struts you have) its possible to put 911SC style discs and calipers on. An SC would be 100-150 kgs heavier, so brakes are bigger / better .

All of the above combined may help?

Or you go crazy and fit Boxter monobloc type brakes. Quite a few vendors developed kits for early cars some years ago.

Justin

Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Hmm, I didn't see those PMB lines when I placed my last SMC order a week or so back. Bugger. Good tip on the higher spec fluid though - that's an easy one. I'm still running the stock front struts and I'd consider moving to the SC setup a bridge too far.. ditto with the Boxster setup.

Were the brakes on the S from '70 any different? I think I read somewhere they were alloy, so lighter yes, but were they an improvement in other ways?
      '97 993 - new toy

Comment

What bolt hole spacing do you have where your calipers mount to strut, 3 or 31/2 inch ?
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

3" bolt spacing.
          '97 993 - new toy

Comment

I am running one of Stan's Boxster kits , nice but too efficient.

They heat the 3.2 Carrera discs too much resulting in warpage.

I have even tried the standard pads but same problem as with the Pagid RS 4's

Some one suggested I need a floating disc kit ?

Comment

Originally posted by pocketscience View Post
              3" bolt spacing.
              These might be a good option.

Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks, will take a look. Maybe I should just initially go with SS lines, performance pads and fluid and see if that improves things - and if not, look at other options..
                '97 993 - new toy

Comment

Craig
                  12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                  1972 2.4E Targa project
                  1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

I'm going to keep my current calipers, and just refresh everything. I see two options for refresh kits for the M calipers - with or without "Disc Wobble Compensation". I understand the pistons are different depending if you have that or not- but any way to tell which I have without first pulling the calipers apart?
                    '97 993 - new toy

Comment

Working...
                    X