Sportamatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sportamatic

l am looking for a person (mechanic) who knows how to sort out my LHD 1970 T Sportamatic troubles?
    would appreciate any response . l live in Elsternwick, but will drive anywhere
    thanks ETPete

Might be something simple.... What is (or isn't) it doing?
    Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Hi Bill, 3rd to 4th & 4th to 3rd , no problems,
      but 2nd to 3rd & 3rd to 2nd, not so good
      and reverse is half and half , otherwise it’s okay, and l am no mechanic, any ideas?

Comment

gears are not engaging , when changing from neutral to 2nd, not all the time its intermit , and the same from 3rd to 2nd

Comment

Was it working before? If the vacuum servo isn't pulling in the clutch fully, it can lead to erratic changes. Pity you're not in Brisbane, I could have a quick look.
          Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Could also be the contact sender on the base of the gear lever. If the main problem is 2nd gear not engaging the contact on the left bottom side may need a minor tweak so as the contact releases and then engages so as to active the clutch.
            Does 2nd to first still operate?

Comment

Just following up my last post. In simple terms the sender has 4 contacts. One for each gear matching the shift pattern. If the clutch operates on all other gears except 2nd I would check the operation of the bottom left contact. To check it remove gear knob. Lift rubber boot and you will see the sender unit. Lift plastic lid and you will see the 4 contacts. Only a minor adjustment is required. Move gear shift through the gears and you will see the contacts opening and closing.
              I have had this problem in the past. I mucked up the adjustment and simply went to Porsche and bought a replacement sender. It is a simple job to replace. This was sometime ago and I have heard that replacement senders are now hard to come by but things may have changed.
              This may be not your problem but it is worth checking.
              Good luck. Always good to see a sporto still going.

Comment

Back again. Reverse gear also uses the bottom left contact. You did mention reverse was also a problem as well as 2nd.

Comment

Thank you for everybody’s input, l will have a look over the easter weekend, and see if l can get a result. Hope to see other club members at the flinders meet this sunday, as being a new member l haven’t been able to make any meets
                  May just tempt fate , and limp my way down to flinders

Comment

ET Pete you can always temporarily adjust be your driving style by bypassing 2nd gear. First to 3rd then 4th.
                    Should get you Flinders and back smoothly.

Comment

Hello ET Pete

Sorry I’m no mechanic so can’t help you with the issue but I do have a few sporto’s if you find yourself needing any parts.

Comment

thanks quackery, l have order a new replacement sender , and associated bushes needed in the shift mechanism, (will get in about 3weeks) so will see if that helps me out. so if l have no luck , l may still contact you Thanks

Comment

E T Pete,

Great idea to replace shifting bushes. They are inexpensive and will take the slop out of the gear change. If your old bushes have not been changed in the past you will notice an immediate difference. I did.
                          It may be that may have been a contributing problem. You will know when you see how worn the old bushing might be. Did you also order the 2 bushes for the linkage at the rear end of the gear change shaft as well as the 2 at the base of the gear lever. A total of 4.
                          ​​​​​​​Hope that these replacements solves the issues.

Comment

Agree, shifter bushings make a massive difference. Also making sure the microswitch on the gear stick is clean and facing the right direction. Finally the adjustment of the coupling is very fine, requires a lot of trial and error. Once it's sorted though, shifting is effortless and no clunks.

Comment

Working...
                            X