Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello.... I'm a new member

Hello All

This is post number one, so thankyou for allowing to share such a great resource.

My name is Dean and I live with my family down on the Surfcoast in Victoria. We recently purchased this car in Sydney and spent 4 days driving it back home along the coast. We had a full load of soft luggage in the front, and a 12 and 13 year old in the back "seat". It was important to do at least one trip before the children grow any larger!
    The car ran well, didn't miss a beat and the 5th gear was a bonus.

Cheers
    Dean

Welcome Dean. That’s an epic trip you did, especially with the family, well done mate. Looks like Geoffs old car, it appeared to be very well sorted
    Mickc

65’ 912/6
    70’ 911T coupe
    00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Welcome Dean.

great first post.
      Kids booked in for Physio today ?

hope to meet you on a run or event somewhere soon.

AV
      Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

Good on you Dean, great first adventure in the new to you 912.
        Think you have purchased a winner there.
        Enjoy.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Hi Dean, wilkommen !

Just a hint when posting a photo attachment, if you select the "Large" or "Fullsize" option when uploading an attachment, it will make the image a bit larger and easier to see. The current pics you posted are a bit small to see any detail. Not sure if you sent your post from a mobile or a PC and perhaps on a mobile these image size options arent available (??).

anyway, enjoy the 912 and kudos to your kids for enduring the ride home in those back seats.

sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks for the comments of encouragement, the drive down from Sydney was a great little trip. We stopped at every ocean pool between Wollongong and Eden! Loved every minute of it

Unfortunately though on presenting the car for a Victorian RWC we found rust under sound deadener. So we have a car we cannot register or drive We were assured the car was sound and rust free ... but now the heartache.

I've found a good repairer, and I now need to strip the interior out in preparation for further investigation. At this early stage it appears we need outer sills, kidney bowl panels, sill gusset. Any recommendation on which replacement parts are the best fit or quality would be greatly appreciated. Dansk? Heritage? Pelican? NLA?

Cheers
            Dean
            Last edited by Terminator; 19-05-23, 01:47 PM.

Comment

enjoy the 912... lovely little cars....

Look at this as a bump in the road only.

As far as panels try Porsche Classic - I purchased 2 new front guards for my 68 swb. The repairer said they fit so much better than the Dansk ones.

So what you save in opurchase price, you pay for in your repairers time.

Justin
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

These are old cars, if you look hard enough you will find rust under 30 to 50+yr old body deadener.
                Post some images of the rust areas you have found if you can please?
                Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Two fair comments, these old 911's are a money pit know matter how good there are that's part of then enjoyment

Comment

Actually it has occurred to me I am an idiot and misread/misunderstood your post it was obviously your RWC guy who found the issues and hence why you can't get rego. I have deleted my previous comments.

We all hope you can get the issues sorted out and get on with the joys of experiencing your car further with your family.

Last edited by Terminator; 22-05-23, 02:17 PM.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Welcome along Dean,
                      I look at these rego challenges as opportunities to invest in the car and ultimately you know the work is done for a good cause.
                      ask me how I know....
                      Mark Branson
                      1969 Australian Delivered 911 ST Replica.
                      TYP901 Register # 349

Comment

Welcome Dean.

I see you have posted photos of your sill repairs - moving at a very fast pace.

I also have a 912 so hopefully see you at a future 901 drive day, to swap "notes".

Are you in Melbourne?

cheers
                        mark
                        Mark Evans
                        1966 912 5 gauge
                        1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Hello Mark

We’re ex Melbourne. We’re now living in Aireys Inlet.
                          Its ironic that you have a Pagoda, when we started looking for a car it was toss up between a 912 and a Pagoda.

Is your 912 on the road?

Dean

Comment

Hi Dean.

Yes - on the road & running very well, although she only gets out once a week/fortnight.
                            I bought her 5 years ago from Sean Perkin (mrar above) who had the engine fully rebuilt (and taken out to 1720).
                            Totally different driving experience (and price!) between the two cars.

cheers

Mark Evans
                            1966 912 5 gauge
                            1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Working...
                            X