Interesting Clutch Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Clutch Problem

I thought I'd pass on a recent experience we had with the clutch on the orange beast.

After taking the car for a vigorous run through the Adelaide hills after Christmas I noticed that the clutch was not working as it should and it was getting harder to engage gears, particularly when the car was stopped.

After climbing underneath and adjusting the clutch cable I took it for a test drive around the block which started well, the clutch felt fine again.

After about two minutes things got bad again and then the clutch pedal went straight to the floor. Lucky it happened close to home and once again I tried adjusting the clutch but it just wouldn't adjust up again.

Anyway we trucked it into Buik Motorwerks in Adelaide where they diagnosed the steel plate at the rear of the chassis where the cables etc exit from, had cracked and was flexing with the operation of the clutch. The cable is apparently fixed / mounted at this point and with years of force it had cracked and was flexing.

Anyway it has now been welded and another plate added for additional strength so hopefully all will be ok for the future.

Not sure if this was caused by the extra force required by the race clutch or the combination of 2.4 engine with 901 gearbox??

Cheers
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076
Working...
X