No announcement yet.

Clydes 72 2.5ST recreation project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for shaping metal I'm sure thats right but not currently mostly removing it and replacing it with fibreglass or fibreglass and balsa wood in the case of the bonnet!!!

Alloy door skins, attached with large head rivets as per factory, are happening.

Yes he should burn that rubbish your right I will get it removed.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Garvs View Post
      they can shape steel down there. why not aluminum doors like the yellow car?! would save at least 1.75kgs....

can you talk to Dave about that flag on his western wall?
      Have a look at the centre of the Porsche badge
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

OK I give up what Porsche badge??
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
          Jeff was referring to the flag of a prancing horse on Dave's wall...
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

alum doors, nice.

i saw dave working on the yellow car after bowe got t-boned (from memory) and its impressive craftsmanship. out of interest, how much weight do alum doors actually save?

badge, i was way off. noted.

i should note, I am not 'anti-prancing italian' - am getting dave to work on a 'little' ferrari project for me........
            Attached Files
            Jeff Garvey
            1971 911s (needs resto)

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
              This one Clyde.

As I said, its a symbol relating to Stuttgart that goes way back. Here is a brief explanation of the origins of the horses on both the Ferrari badge and the Porsche crest:

" The prancing horse featured on the Ferrari logo was the emblem of Italian WWI flying ace Fancesco Baracca, whose parents persuaded Enzo Ferrari to use the symbol of their late son for his Alfa Romeo race cars. When Ferrari later started his own car company, he continued use of this logo. Note that the logo shown here is technically the logo of the racing team, Scuderia Ferrari, though you will see it appear on the front fenders of many modern road-going Ferraris. The official company logo is the rectangular version encompasing the same prancing horse.

The Porsche badge is the coat of arms of the city of Stuttgart (where the cars are built). The city was built on the site of a stud farm, which explains the horse in the coat of arms; the antlers and red and black stripes are part of the arms of the Kingdom of Wurttemberg. ""

Everybody happy ?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by e72phil; 24-05-11, 10:39 PM.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

More Porsche badge trivia:

"Laid over this is the simpler Stuttgart
                coat of arms, with the city's name above it. The word comes from
                Stout garten - stud garden or, in modern parlance, stud farm. Horses
                had been bred in that area for around 1,000 years and that's why the
                crest shows a rampant horse at its center, There is, apparently, an
                heraldic link between this horse and the famous (and remarkably
                similar) 'prancing horse' which adorns Ferraris and was once the
                coat of arms of Francesco Baracca, a First World War pilot, curved
                right across the top of the badge is the word 'Porsche' in bold capitals."

Prior to the badge being used on Porsches, the company had to get
                approval by the relevant city and state authorities. Once such approval
                was obtained, the badge appeared on the 356s in 1953. At this time,
                however, the badge was placed only on the steering wheel hub as the
                bonnet continued to have the 'Porsche' lettering. The next year,
                the badge was placed proudly on the chrome grab handle located on
                the bonnet (hood).

When the 911 arrived in 1963, the enameled badge was put on the new
                car's bonnet where it has remained ever since. The badge has undergone
                some minor tweaking over the years. In 1995 the 'Porsche' lettering
                was made thinner and it was made black to better stand out from the gold
                background (previously the 'Porsche' lettering was gold on the gold
                background). Additionally, the badge was slightly tweaked to give it
                a more modern appearance.

From the beginning, 911s have had the Porsche crest on the steering
                wheel hub. However, this proud symbol was lost in 1984 when the
                3.2 Carrera received a four-spoke steering wheel with the word
                'Porsche' stamped across it. Happily, the badge returned to the
                steering wheel with the 993 model in 1993. The 996's three spoke
                steering wheel gained a full color gold and red badge - an attractive
                feature that continues on the most recent 997 cars.

So the next time you happen to see the 'Porsche' badge, you know its
                full bodied story that is over 50 years old. It is another of Ferry Porsche's
                designs that proudly has stood the test of time!
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

happy. you had me at stuttgart, but awesome detail all the same.

back on thread - one more clyde, have I missed it / dare I ask; whats the target 'on road date?'
                  Jeff Garvey
                  1971 911s (needs resto)

Comment

Doh ....I get it now thansk for the lesson Phil

Garvs....Aiming for 356 day in November but I suspect my uncertainty about which way to go with the engine (MFI v carbs and then all the chasing of the right bits depending on the decision) and my desire to replicate exactly how a 72ST would have looked will probably mean its still a freddie flinstone car at that stage and probably until well into the next year as well but you never know.

Still good to have an aim at least!!!
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Jeff, that little pedal car is fantastic! I've been looking for one for my little bloke. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

Not much to update this week except I found one of the 72 only front oil coolers I need for the project.

The had a larger fitting (30mm) than either before or after.....great!!!

LHS ones are like rocking horse poop so have to find another RHS one and convert the attaching tabs to make it a LHD one then comes the horrid task of making/copying all the hard lines and short flexible lines to join both coolers into the loop.
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

A bit has been going on in the last 2 weeks

Found a pair of 7" rims to match the 9's I had and they hae been sent to harvey for refinishing in correct RSR style finish

Found a steering wheel, 380mm, that arguably is a correct RS wheel.

I have read a lengthy debate on this subject some time ago on Early S and while both RS cars I have owned had wheels with 806 10 codes it is argued that many came with 805 10 codes. This wheel is an 805 10 code.

In any event it has the correct 911 cancelling ring and I have the horn push button courtesy of deal with Chris Heal and its been redone in the thicker style with correct stitching.
                          Attached Files
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President

Comment

Car has made some progress also.

The corners of the front windscreen area have been repeired so too has an area in the luggage compartment.

Temporary bonnet was fitted to check gaps on front guards and doors with the fibreglass front guards in place.

Dave is reshaping Turbo flares to ST style using all the old methods including metal shrinking so will be great to watch the progress.

The shape for the alloy door skins has been cut as you can see in the pics
                            Attached Files
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

and more
                              Attached Files
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President

Comment

My part of the deal started last Thursday 6.5 hrs solid of stripping body deadner off the underneath of the floor pan with heat gun, wire brush, scraper and a little paint stripper (thanks John)

Dave took photos for proof but hasn't sent them to me yet.

Despite the look of the rest of the car the floor pan is remarkable straight and rust free, sills even look spot on hardly a mark on the metal

More work tomorrow or Tuesday now my arm has recovered!!!
                                Clyde Boyer
                                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X