Clydes 72 2.5ST recreation project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clydes 72 2.5ST recreation project

I have agreed with Classic Road and Track to undertake a faithfull recreation of a 1972 2.5ST.

It will be based around a 1972 shell that Classic Road and Track currently have and will be finished in its original colour of Viper Green.

We will do all in our power to make this chassis indistingushable from one leaving the factory in 1972 (all 20 odd of them that did) and then do our best to make the engine bay look correct as sourcing NOS mechanical parts such as high butterfly throttle bodies, NOS twin plug distributor , twin oil cooler and cross over lines or correct MFI pump for such a build is next to nigh impossible or way out of my budget.

I cannot hope to emulate Johns great "do it yourself thread" but what I will do is give another side to the restoration process one where the owner is useless and good for manual labour only and is guided by people with far more expertise.

Its meant to be a view in to how most people like me, without great skills, might go about a restoration where a panel shop is involved and hopefully how the owner can get involved still and feel productive in the process.

I will post some pics soon as Dave has allready stripped much of the car and started to attend to a few rust issues before I became involved in the project.

My first job is to remove all the body deadener, should be a blast.

In an unexpected turn of events I have sold my 69S to embark on this project, so looks like I will finish up with 2 x 72 cars if the T/E doesn't sell, one with a hot rod engine and minor body mods and not much else changed and the 72 2.5ST recreation. That can't be all that bad but quite a departure from my "must be factory original" days.
    Last edited by Terminator; 17-05-11, 06:09 PM.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Brilliant idea, Clyde. Can't wait to see it develop...
    Damian Royce
    TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

So is Group N on the cards too?
      I look forward to the progress
      MichaelJapp
      71E
      Typ901 #065
      EarlyS #798

Comment

Nuh racing is not the motivation.

I just want to do a concourse hot rod, simple as that.

What better choice could I have than a 72ST and I happen to have always wanted to own a Viper Green car it is without doubt my favourite early porsche colour.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

Nice Clyde... looking forward!

"We don't need no stinkin' factory originals"

PS - You're gunna love removing that underbody schutz.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Very nice project Clyde, thought this might have been on the cards given your thread on early S seeking wheels. Is the plan to use your latest purchase from the states as the basis to power it?
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke
            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

That probably depends on the answers I get to some enquiries I have made to the likes of Edmond Harris etc

At this atge that engine will go to the silver 72 car as planned and I will try to get the ST to look period correct at least with twin plug etc. I have access to a nice motor on a 7R case with 46 IDA and a close ratio 915 which might fit the bill with some further mods but no rush at the moment.

I am fearful of the cost of some of the answers to the questions I have asked.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                Nice Clyde... looking forward!

"We don't need no stinkin' factory originals"

PS - You're gunna love removing that underbody schutz.
                yep heat gun and lots of time start in about 3 weeks I think
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

Why not soda blast it ? I used a guy to do my boat hull and he could take off just a layeer of paint or get right down into teh fibreglass - he had such control of the process.
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I bet you had to fight off Dave to do the underbody schutz !

I like green, good for a hot rod. All you need is some dice....

Comment

Wow Clyde,
                      sounds like the st replica will be a real educational process, when both cars are finished it will be interesting to see which one is faster !
                      Will you use the 2.4 engine from the t/e as the base for the st ?
                      look forward to this thread !

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                        Why not soda blast it ? I used a guy to do my boat hull and he could take off just a layeer of paint or get right down into teh fibreglass - he had such control of the process.
                        Not even sharp garnet removes that stuff! It really is a case of manual removal to get it right

Clyde, if the schutz is the earlier stuff (bitumen based) like mine, I found a great-yet-messy method is to use cheap paint stripper, a wire brush and steel wool. It comes of really easily and then you just spray and wipe the surface with wax and grease remover (prepsol) to neutralise and remove the remaining residue. This works well for hard to reach and "curvy" areas. Heat gun and a scraper is good on large flat areas, and a really aggressive wire wheel on a grinder gets just about everything else.
                        Last edited by Fishcop; 18-05-11, 10:37 AM.
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

clyde - you're mad... but in a good way!!!!
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Clyde,

You wanted A hot rod so you will do 2 at the same time instead.
                            I love your attitude.
                            GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Phil...I think its manual removal only as John has indicated plus I am doing it to save money!!

Chris...2.4T/E motor and 915 box will be for sale in the future

John..I re read your posts on how you got the deadening off and thanks for the advice which I will heed

Andrew...Dave was dissapointed he didn't get a gig for this...

Rich and Hung...mad/stupid/crazy take your pic but I will only do one at a time..I think
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X