1965 911(912) Restoration Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!

Nice steering wheel collection you have there btw Chris!
    Mark Munro
    '69 911T (sold)
    '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
    '69 MG Midget Group S car
    TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Great work Chris. Can you fill me in on the shrinking a little more and the stick welds with the slide hammer please.

Thanks

Tim

Comment

Chris,

Hi, I've had a conversation about the Polo Motors as well....below is a recent email from Dean

"Hello Julian

The motors I have are great for the 911 912's . The thing that holds many back of coarse is the cost. I you are a Porsche person and realize that the cost is in the parts and the engineering it helps. Porsche built these motors to go wide open for 24 hrs at lemans; So when one would compare them to anything else they shouldn't because the 911 is in a class of its own.

This being said, I sell the four parts group; crankcase, crankshaft, camshafts and oil pump drive for 14,995.00 dollars. With these parts you would find the additional parts to finish and build it yourself.

You mentioned 2.2ltrs. I build motors from 1500cc to 2.8 ltrs. the common motor than uses most of the standard parts is the 2.4ltr.

The motors vary in cost depending on size and options. Motors, Finished, are between 32,000.00 and 38,000.00 dollars.

If you have a large budget and would like to have a 4 cylinder 911 I would Love to build it for you,

Let me know if I can help and if you any questions at all give me a ring back,

Thank you,

Dean Polopolus"

Cheers

Julian

Comment

Good work Chris

Certainly looks different from last time I saw it

I am sure getting the other guy to strip will be much better for your lungs!

Comment

Tim, you can borrow my stud welder if you need it. Best thing for pulling dents.

Comment

Chris,

Great work, the Shrinker will be nice.

If I'd had my way I would have had a Shrinker, stretcher, brake and an English wheel in the garage now.

Comment

The trouble with these big really jobs is that we usually do them once. Well most do if our wives have much say, and there is always a balance between the gear we want and the gear we think we might actually use again. I would really like a big blast cupboard, larger lathe, a decent spot welder, corner weighting set up, and so on.

Very impressive work there Chris. You are building a great car there.

Comment

Tony, That would be awesome. I don't need it for a wile, but I will need it on the doors, and one rear guard where I buggered it up getting it off.

Comment

Sure thing it's just sitting in a cupboard, I can bring it up when I pick up the jack stands.

Comment

I have ruled out a Polo motor too many $
                      Would love one though.
                      Tim seems Tony has stepped up regarding the stud welder, good one.
                      Regarding the metal shrinking that I was talking about, that is for panel work, particularly handy if you have butt welds on body panels.
                      Panel beaters have always done it, and have used oxy to heat an area and then quickly cool it causing the metal to shrink.
                      My dummies version is a specially made smooth stainless disc that you fit to your 9" grinder and when you have established your high spots its just a process of running it on that area to heat it up and then cool it quickly with water. The Idea is that the disc will obviously find the high spots anyway.
                      If that doesnt make sense there are definitely some quick demos on youtube.

Comment

Metal shrinking demo.
                        Demonstration of using a http://www.wolfesmetalfabrication.com shrinking disc to bring the surface back to proper level after popping out a dent or similar. ...

Comment

That is amazing.....learnt something new today! Thanks Chris.

How long did it take to get the hang of it?

Comment

It works exactly as shown.
                            I had to swap from my sander/polisher @ 8" and buy a dedicated 9" grinder just to get the revs I needed.
                            Only negative for me is that those suckers are heavy with plenty of torque reaction.

Comment

Much easier then oxy! I went old school on my doors when I re skinned them, there is an art to it, the Shrinker looks the goods Chris. Next time

Comment

hangin onto a grinder

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                                It works exactly as shown.
                                I had to swap from my sander/polisher @ 8" and buy a dedicated 9" grinder just to get the revs I needed.
                                Only negative for me is that those suckers are heavy with plenty of torque reaction.
                                chris there are a few ways to offset the weight and bulk of the larger grinders, more so if you are working at a 'station'

simple image illustrates an approach
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X