• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really nice work Chris

Comment

Great stuff

Comment

As a bit of an update, come cautionary tale.
        All the progress that I had made recently, with epoxy primer, and then Textured undercoat and 2 pack satin black. All of this had to be removed due to an adhesion issue between my epoxy primer and the surface coating left on the metal by Picklex 20.
        Apparently most of the time it isn't an issue, but it certainly was for me.
        Four weeks of sanding, scraping and media blasting and I am now back to the point where I can do it all again. It could have been much worse had I not discovered it at this stage.

Comment

Oh sh*t. So why did this happen Chris? Are you redoing the shell with Picklex or using another method?

Comment

Jock I have spoken to some professionals and done a lot of internet based research now and a lot of feedback is to avoid any of the "metal prep" products under Epoxy, and to apply Epoxy straight over freshly sanded or blasted metal using only a propriatory solvent based cleaner. I have done quite a few test sprayouts now and I am happy with my new "process"

Comment

I have added some pics from an earlier post to keep things in one place for reference.

Saving some 1965 front fenders
              Hopefully this might interest some people, I have spent the last few weeks repairing the front fenders from my '65. Both were in similar condition and it has involved cutting off and replacing the complete attaching lip, using a donor pair of guards.
              The double skinned section of both was also rusty and was replaced with a graft also.
              The turn signal buckets were also too far gone and I replaced these with genuine Porsche items after drilling out the spot welds and unpicking the old ones. Both guards had a couple of sections towards the front that needed replacing also.
              Finally one guard had a sharp dent on its leading edge where the metal had actually folded in on itself, this had been poorly repaired with bondo, so again I was able to cut a similar section from the later guard and graft it in.
              It probably looks like a lot of work especially since I did buy a pair of genuine Porsche brand new ones just in case things didn't go so well. Time is something I have plenty of and so for me it was definitely worth saving the originals.

Comment

And these

Comment

New photos of, back to the beginning after the bungle.

Comment

lastly

Comment

That's a bugger Chris, sorry to hear. I took the advice of pro early on and used the Picklex to seal the metal whilst I wasn't working on that area, but scuffed with a red pad followed by prepsol prior to laying epoxy. I read that adhesion had been an issue for some people depending on brands being used.

Glad you found it early...
                      John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Bugger.....I didn't have any problems with Picklex and adhesion of my epoxy either......hummmmm

Comment

is that one of those extremely rare rust detector dogs ?
                          Craig
                          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                          1972 2.4E Targa project
                          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
                            is that one of those extremely rare rust detector dogs ?
                            Someone must have had bacon in the car in the last 49 years

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                              Someone must have had bacon in the car in the last 49 years
                              our two are like divining rods for BBQ chicken - no bones of course !
                              Craig
                              12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                              1972 2.4E Targa project
                              1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

I have now finished the underside of the roof turret.
                                I used a product called Lizardskin which is a two part heat and sound reducing product. It was easy to use and the finish is just like any other stone chip/sprayable finish and I have painted over with body colour. Only a before shot included.

I also had some repairs to do around the Rear Anti Roll Bar Consoles.
                                Which were just pieces of angle iron with nuts welded on.
                                I cut these off and replaced sheet metal as required.
                                I then mounted the rear crossmember and roll bar to check for clearances before fitting up and welding in the new consoles. I chose to strengthen them slightly by welding in a small brace also.

Last edited by 9er; 12-01-15, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X