• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work Chris.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
      I don't miss that stage, not one little bit.......

How many mm are you allowing for paint in your gaps?

Tony, hinges have not been removed so I'm trying to keep the gaps consistent with the original door opening gaps.
      I remember that you removed yours?

Merv, they are plug welds which offer the enjoyment of grinding after welding

Comment

Some progress Picture heavy

Things moving along albeit slowly.
        I put the pictures up as a bit of a reference for anyone doing similar jobs.

Showing the epoxy coating inside the rear wheel arches followed by Gravitex and then Satin black top coat

Same deal for the underside of the car.

Comment

More of the process

Comment

Some of the front sheet metal needed work.
            mainly the lower part of the inner fenders and also the lateral fuel tank supports on both sides.
            At some point both the upper fuel tank support and the lower suspension pan had been replaced, however whilst they were solid the parts mentioned above were in poor condition.
            This meant removing the upper fuel tank support to get to them.

Comment

I have bought a new tool which I can use to punch the plug weld holes rather than drilling.

SWB cars have the headlight support tube which adds an extra layer of difficulty, I used the stainless rod to get them basically parallel and perpendicular to the cars axis.

Comment

Did you hand beat those bits and pieces Chris? Or are they available and from where?

Thanks for showing us all how to do it properly.

Comment

There is only one way to do things and that is Chris's way. Well done mate. Too work!

Comment

That's one big and I am sure, messy job, at times Chris. Another car saved thanks to your skills.

Comment

Looking good......

You'll be very happy with the Satin Black over the Stoneguard, I know I am.

I will be demanding a look next time I'm down..........The wife saw our text regarding your Cooper, and has invited herself to Adelaide.

Comment

Chris i remember it when I saw it in April 2014 Clipsal weekend (The V8's). Boy has it changed since then; I was really wondering if you would realize your ambition as it was needing some serious work.
                        Dad was a production engineer in charge of body build at Ford Motor Co so I have seen the odd body shell in a jig and understand the critical detail and patience required to mirror the original form and spotwelding. Fantastic work and on the job skill training.
                        Nev

Comment

Originally posted by jock69t View Post
                          Did you hand beat those bits and pieces Chris? Or are they available and from where?

Jock, most pieces are available, however it never works out that you can get everything at one location, the favourites for me are Restoration Designs and Stoddard, almost all of the pieces you buy need to be reworked to get the radius corners etc up to original standard, but it is far better than starting from a flat sheet of steel.

Comment

Five weeks holiday coming up, hoping to make some serious progress.

Comment

That's looking the goods Chris, very nice........I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Comment

Picture heavy but may be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X