1965 911(912) Restoration Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1965 911(912) Restoration Thread

Due to the overwhelming requests (all 3) I will detail my restoration here.
    Mainly as a photo essay to show how to do the metal work and then body work and Paint work in a home shed. I also hope to be able to detail an engine build and interior trim.
    Enough talk.
    The front fenders have been detailed previously so rather than double up I will just show where the shell is at currently and show the doors that have returned from "Minus Paint" a non caustic chemical dip process to remove paint and body deadener and leaves the panels in a bare steel state.
    They are able to coat the parts with a water based sealer which gives a few months worth of protection.
    This week has been spent cutting out known and newly discovered rusty sections and getting the floor pan and body seams into near original shape.
    Most of us have seen that over the years these cars have suffered from poor jacking technique and also taken a few hits to the floor pan.
    The plan is for the shell to be dipped also, however that cannot be done until mid January due to a back log at the business.
    That has put me back a bit as I wanted to be full steam ahead in the fine weather for painting etc. but instead I will spend my time getting as much metalwork done on the shell as I can before it goes in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 9er; 30-11-13, 07:14 PM.

How I wish I had the talent to do this sort of stuff keep the pics and story coming Chris now that John is done (yeah right) we need another long thread!!!!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

As you can see there is a fair bit going on , from an oversize hole in the door to accomodate a later latch, to both of the steering rack mounting points being rusted out and requiring replacement (quite expensive genuine replacement items).
      The rear sway bar mounts had also taken a beating, and that needs attention.
      The area in the front wheel arch/front trunk has required 3 sections to be cut out in order to get new steel in place.
      The A pillar repair will be straight forward as I was able to cut and unfold the rusty section to make a pattern.
      Even the lower pan which had already been replaced had taken a big hit and required some work.
      As can be seen my favorite new tool is the stud welder which has helped me get some dents out where I could not get access behind.
      Last edited by 9er; 30-11-13, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Good work mate. You're lucky to have a place that can dip/strip... Nothing nearby for me
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Nice work Chris.

Are you hand forming or do you have an English wheel in the shed?

Comment

Fantastic work Chris. Your shell has less rot than mine, but in similar places. I wish I had your space!

Comment

Excellent Chris. Really looking forward the ongoing updates.

Comment

Chris keep the posts coming. Like the others you got my complete interest.

Comment

Slow progress, taking plenty of metal out but most won't go back in till its back from its dip in the strip tank in late Jan.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great work mate

Comment

What's the engine and gearbox situation Chris?

Comment

Engine choice is still something I am working on, I have a 2.2 and also a 2.7.
                        Choices are rebuild the 2.7 7R case to a 2.8 high spec engine.
                        Or use the 2.7 crankshaft in the 2.2 and build a 2.5L longstroke engine at a much lower budget.
                        I'm still hoping the gearbox rebuild clinic gets up because I have a couple of boxes to strip down.
                        I am currently looking for someone in Sydney who could do me a favour by taking in a set of pistons and barrels currently for sale on eBay to get checked out at a reputable place?

Comment

What about buying Clyde's engine out of his hotrod?

Cheers
                          Craig Sedgman
                          914/6 GT Clone Project
                          996 C2.1

Comment

Originally posted by CS911E View Post
                            What about buying Clyde's engine out of his hotrod?

Cheers
                            The thought crossed my mind when I saw Clydes post, but too much H.P. for this project methinks. 160 to 180 would be nice.

Comment

Remember I don't have headers or the hot cam Randy had and its been built to 2.7 specs on a 67 alloy case just with ti valves and rods and RSR flywheel so 250 ish at the flywheel I think from when I had it dyno'd
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X