Gearbox Noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox Noise...

Over the past year or more I've noticing an increasing chattering noise from the gearbox when accelerating from low revs. Chattering may not be the best description, but it sort of sounds like the whine in a racing box (sorry to those straight cut box owners - it sounds awesome in YOUR cars ).

It's particularly noticable in the higher gears, and it always happens when slowing down in 4th to about 2000rpm, and then reaccelerating (when I'm being lazy and not shifting into third).
    I have the noise in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and it's faintly noticeable in 1st and 2nd.

I'm not really familiar with gearboxes, but the fact that it's happening in all gears, makes me think its perhaps the diff.

Any thoughts?

We both need dr evil scotty - I've got an issue not that dissimilar - though as the gearbox was rebuilt less than 8000 Km's I'd hope not catastrophic

Comment

Originally posted by SM911 View Post
      Any thoughts?

what comes to mind is the same thought that i have whenever i hear some sound which doesn't quite seem right...

"ouch that's going to be $$$"

or... as Phil Hearn always tells me - stop worrying and just drive it!!!
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Scotty, if the noise is increasing then something is wearing and will eventually break or wear out. I'd be getting some professional advice.
        At the very least you would drop the gearbox oil out and examine it for filings.
        A stitch in time saves nine ??
        Cheers
        Paul M

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
          drop the gearbox oil out and examine it for filings.
          Fresh Swepco was put in a few months ago, but I didn't think to ask about checking the old oil...

Comment

Working...
          X