yobit eobot wp fastest cache wp super cache
TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barn find "T" but no paperwork or VIN plate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Barn find "T" but no paperwork or VIN plate

    Gentlemen,
    I've been offered a 71T targa that has been in storage for 18 years. The gentlemen who owns it never had it licensed and has no paperwork for it. There is no VIN or compliance plate affixed to the car and the only identification is the VIN stamped into the front suspension carrier near the ruled tank and the engine number.

    My concern is if I take on this project, is it going to licensable in the end?
    Can anyone tell what happens when a car is presented for licensing without formal documentation or VIN plates?

    #2
    Is it an Aussie delivered car Jeff? If so, then it won't be a big issue.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

    Comment


      #3
      Hi John,
      If it was Australian delivered or not is unclear. With no paperwork, I have nothing firm to go on. All that is known is the VIN, which is 9111112223 and Engine number, which is 6112426.
      I am no sure how you find out. Any suggestions?

      Comment


        #4
        Hopefully Hugh may have a record of that VIN. Is it RHD?

        You can still buy blank VIN plates - at the end of the day it's all about the number stamped on chassis.
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

        Comment


          #5
          I cant help on registration but it is not aust delivered.
          a 71 targa would be born LHD - they did not make RHD until calendar year 1973 (ie january73)

          IF it has a legible chassis number stamped in, and a production number still on the dash, that should establish its identity. Porsche can help and can also tell you if the engine is original to the car and where it was delivered.
          I would have thought that, plus probably an engineers certificate (If it has been modified fro LHD and I suspect from your comments it has) as well as a roadworthy SHOULD be enough to register it. However you should check with registration people first.

          That said there are some strange cars in the early records - or i should say strange numbers. There was one 1971 sporto T with a targa number (not yours but 9111111483) in the records but the order code said it was a coupe so probably a typo somewhere.
          also there were 3 1970 targa T's on the records - 1 4 sp and 2 5 sp. they had targa order codes as well. I suspect that they were either evaluation cars of some sort or maybe ordered on some type of tourist delivery to be reexported out of the country or used in the northern territory which i think was the only place you could register a LHD car at the time. So anything is possible.

          Originally posted by jedwards View Post
          Hi John,
          If it was Australian delivered or not is unclear. With no paperwork, I have nothing firm to go on. All that is known is the VIN, which is 9111112223 and Engine number, which is 6112426.
          I am no sure how you find out. Any suggestions?
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
          Early 911S Register #776

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by jedwards View Post
            Gentlemen,
            I've been offered a 71T targa that has been in storage for 18 years. The gentlemen who owns it never had it licensed and has no paperwork for it. There is no VIN or compliance plate affixed to the car and the only identification is the VIN stamped into the front suspension carrier near the ruled tank and the engine number.

            My concern is if I take on this project, is it going to licensable in the end?
            Can anyone tell what happens when a car is presented for licensing without formal documentation or VIN plates?
            Why on earth would you want to take on that project, makes no sense to me at all
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294
            R Gruppe Member #366

            Assorted 911's
            1 BMW

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Terminator View Post
              Why on earth would you want to take on that project, makes no sense to me at all

              eh? trying to apply logic to our disease are you?

              oh... and do i hear calls of a green RSR shaped pot calling the kettle names??
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

              Comment


                #8
                Do a REVS (or whatever it's called now) search with chassis and engine numbers - if it doesn't come up as stolen or encumbered then there's very little chance you will struggle with rego. I think there's an app you can use now, not sure what it's called. The rules were so random and lax up until the late 80's that rego authorities typically don't ask questions. I doubt you will need engineer for LHD to RHD if that has been done - who at a rego station wd know considering that to tell (unless it has been horribly, horribly done) you have to search the chassis number etc.

                Not saying there's no risk around but if it's been in one set of hands for so long you would be one unlucky punter to have problems. And targas are apparently trending with the release of the 991 targa.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Bremith View Post
                  And targas are apparently "trending" with the release of the 991 targa.

                  You young people?

                  Hansel...he's so hot right now!
                  https://www.typ901.org/forum/forum/t...oration-thread
                  KG Lowlight project https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/15...-karmann-ghia/

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                    Why on earth would you want to take on that project, makes no sense to me at all
                    Maybe it is cheap?

                    If it isn't on a stolen register it shouldn't be a problem at all to get it registered. At least in VIC on a club permit you don't even need to get the car inspected by VicRoads.
                    I recently registered a car that is a grey market import from Japan and was never registered in Oz before with no worries. Got a RWC and a letter from the pres and you are good to go for 90 days a year...

                    By the way, just because someone has something in the shed for 18 years doesn't mean anything in terms of ownership. I think we discussed the E Type Jag that was returned to its rightful owner 46 years after it was stolen:

                    http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/23/autos/stolen-jaguar/

                    If it was stolen in the US a CarFax could help. Although I am not sure about cars that old and with no 17 digit VIN?
                    Some members on Rennlist are registered and can do a search for you or you can pay for a one off certificate online. Thats what I have done with the 911 I brought over from Hawaii.

                    http://www.carfax.com/car-facts
                    Last edited by KDF; 27-12-14, 12:04 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I can provide an update to this thread, as provided by the current owner, which will take any guess work out of the history of this car in Australia.

                      The car had been fully registered in Victoria for a number of years before making its way to WA where it had been put in storage for many years and is now restored and back fully registered on Victorian plates.

                      A great result.

                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President
                      Early S Register Member #294
                      R Gruppe Member #366

                      Assorted 911's
                      1 BMW

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                        I can provide an update to this thread, as provided by the current owner, which will take any guess work out of the history of this car in Australia.

                        The car had been fully registered in Victoria for a number of years before making its way to WA where it had been put in storage for many years and is now restored and back fully registered on Victorian plates.

                        A great result.
                        So, are you pleased with it?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Not mine Mr Carl.
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294
                          R Gruppe Member #366

                          Assorted 911's
                          1 BMW

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                            I can provide an update to this thread, as provided by the current owner, which will take any guess work out of the history of this car in Australia.

                            The car had been fully registered in Victoria for a number of years before making its way to WA where it had been put in storage for many years and is now restored and back fully registered on Victorian plates.

                            A great result.
                            Let’s hear the details then… some pics would be good too
                            Mickc

                            Mostly AC

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X