Patrick's 1973 Martini RSR recreation Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick's 1973 Martini RSR recreation Project

I have finally started my RSR recreation project and triggered by the replica for sale on carsales at the moment, I thought it may be a good time to start sharing some information about the project.

First, what am I going to build?
    My dream is to build an as close as possible copy of the #8 1973 Martini liveried 2.8RSR that Muller and van Lennep drove to first place overall in the very last Targa Florio. No doubt the insane prices of some of the parts I need will require me to make some changes, but countrary to most of the copies out there (that use either glasfibre flares or later turbo ones to name one example), I want to get as close as possible to the real thing.

Why the #8? As a kid I had a poster of that car in my bedroom, and since Van Lennep is also Dutch, it had to be the number 8 and not the #9 or #107.

As some of you may remember, I did buy a donor-car last year. I was initially looking for a 1973 car, but with the prices where they currently are, I had to change my search for a impact-bumper car instead. It had to be left hand drive, as the original RSR was LHD too, so when this purple coloured, aftermarket spoilered LHD 1976 911S coupe came up for sale at the Goldcoast, I was happy to take a look at this unloved car.

The car has been sitting in the carcoon for over a year whilst I continued renovating the house and building my garage, but now work has finally started.

So that's the first deviation; its a 1976 car, not a 1973, but I just couldn't justify using my yellow T as a donor. I also thought I would enjoy the project much more if I would still have a car to drive in the meantime.

It will be a proper recreation though, with a twin spark 2.8L engine with MFI, fat metal flares to accommodate 9" front and 11" wide 15 inch tires, RSR suspension, roll cage, reversed wipers and the correct stickers - not those of the museum car everyone seems to use.

I intend to finish the project in 2020, not because I think i need that much time, but because I know that parts will be very, very expensive.

The plan is to do as much myself as possible, even part of the engine build, but even after 2 welding courses I may have to let real experts do the welding of the flares; They're a bit too expensive to warp or otherwise screw up myself... ;-)

I have started a blog where I keep track of progress, and will post here from time to time, if people are interested.

This is what the car looked like when I bought it last year, and how it looks today:

1973 911T Coupe
    1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Plans sound great Patrick, will look forward to progress updates.

Cheers
    Tom
    Tom Laube
    Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
    VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Up up and away goes the budget

Hopefully I get mine finished before you and maybe I can share some info with you where to locate some of your parts likea perfect repro distributor or engine rear oil filter etc etc etc
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Check carsales. Looks like someone beat you to it!

Based on rhd 88. 3.2

Comment

sorry just realised you referred to that one above

Comment

Not to mention the one on DDK. Which is an absolute cracker.

Comment

Central mount oil cooler query

Hi guys,

I'm interested in the central oil cooler (Setrab) that Elephant racing offer, but I'm wondering what dimension I would need to have it fit snug in the RSR front bumper. I haven't bought a front spoiler yet, so would anyone here maybe have the dimensions of the oil cooler cut out in the RS spoiler?

Anyone got experience with their equipment?
              DP-motorspot and Patrick Motorsports also have oil coolers, not sure which one looks most like the Behr oil cooler fitted on the RS, RSR and 914-6, so haven't yet made up my mind.
              1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Try EB Motorsport in the UK too Patrick
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President
                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Not much to report really,
                  I'm still receiving (and searching the web for) cool and ultra-expensive parts and I'm still in the process of taking the 76S apart.

I did like this picture though, so that's where I am at at the moment:
                  Bumpers gone, interior stripped, cables out and about to start taking the fueltank, engine and wheels off.

Gotta love the welding-handy work the previous owner did on the exhaust
                  1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by patrick911 View Post
                    Hi guys,

I'm interested in the central oil cooler (Setrab) that Elephant racing offer, but I'm wondering what dimension I would need to have it fit snug in the RSR front bumper. I haven't bought a front spoiler yet, so would anyone here maybe have the dimensions of the oil cooler cut out in the RS spoiler?

Anyone got experience with their equipment?
                    DP-motorspot and Patrick Motorsports also have oil coolers, not sure which one looks most like the Behr oil cooler fitted on the RS, RSR and 914-6, so haven't yet made up my mind.
                    Patrick the dimensions of the mouth on my front bar is 105mm x 505mm.
                    Im going to see if I can get a cooler from PWR. Some of the IROC race series guys seem to be running them.
                    Last edited by Paul Ford; 21-05-16, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Paul, I will have a look at their site too.
                      1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Hi guys,

Has one of you handy-people ever backdated a 1974 car? More specifically, used these parts to backdate a 1974+ car front fender?

I already reluctantly accepted I had to fork out a small fortune to buy new 1969-1973 left & right front fenders, but as the 1976 ones on the car are in good shape (no damage, no rust) I figured this may be the budget option.

Any ideas/experience?
                        1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Or swap you good guards for a pair of converted ones.

Zags in Sydney do a lot of them .... either for backdates or for longhoods where the owners dont want to go to the expense of new guards ex Porsche

JR
                          Justin Reed
                          aka Reedminor
                          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                          1961 356B #114700
                          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I started to run out of storage space, with the stripping not even half way complete! A garage clean was required, and it may not look that great, but with stuff hanging from the ceiling and the walls, I can move around again.

Oh, and a mate brought over his fridge, which nicely fits under the work-bench. Can't wait for the weekend!

1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Next order finally placed, this time with 'Aase' in Ohio for the RSR project.
                              Part of the fun is tracking what exactly I need, finding the cheapest, best place that sells these specific parts, then trying to bundle them so I don't spend an absolute fortune on just shipping.
                              Unfortunately the shorter RSR trailing arms have to be ordered next time as they didn't have any in stock, but at least the following big parts are now on its way:
                              - Steel RSR wheelarches
                              - parcel shelf (the only part in the car that was rusted and needs replacement)
                              - pre-1973 fronmt latch panel (as my car is an impact bumper - it just wouldn't be correct)
                              - front & rear tie downs
                              - 2x Master cut off switches
                              - RSR reinforcement parts (tunnel reinforcement & rear axis arm)

So it's time now that I figure out how to get my car onto the dolly, get the engine out and start the tedious job of removing the protection from the body. That will be fun...
                              1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X