• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That should be easy to find.
    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

'Elevenparts' has a used one for sale at Euro 9,700
      I think I use my 100m speedo together with my current tacho's mechanism and a new bespoke made dial to create one myself. I'm sure I can build an electronic one that works (and leaves the lights for the indicators in) for way less. Should be an interesting side project.
      1973 911T Coupe
      1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Well you DID choose to go down the RSR path............
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

That's true, and more importantly, I didn't want to build 'just another replica' so these things will come up.
          But then again, isn't that part of the fun?
          1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Sanding (240 grid) of the epoxy layer is finally all done; that was a tedious and very slow job. Glad that Jason works Saturday's every once-in-a-while, otherwise this would have taken even longer. Talking about Jason, he has fitted all body parts now, has placed the rubber hood straps and is working his magic on the panel gaps.
            A bit more work there and to smoothen the external body, all prepping it for primer in a few week's time.

I've also been getting my head around the various gauges, as it's not just the tacho that is different.
            I sourced the correct fuel/oil combo gauge (left, 80mm, 911.641.206.xx) with "OEL" as it needs to be the Euro version.
            The R6 car has this dial turned 90 degrees to the left, a black sticker to cover the silver dot, and has two dyno labels on the center: "OELTANK" and "BENZINTANK".

I also manage to find the VDO combined oil temp & pressure gauge, 911.641.103.00, 100mm diameter, euro version with "DRUCK" on the right, not "PRESSURE", with oil dipstick logo on top. That should be delivered in a week or two hopefully as well.
            R6 had again a square black sticker to remove the glare/reflection of the silver central dot.

I'm still looking though for the VDO speedometer, 300kph, 100mm, 911.641.503.00, with silver dot, with red lines indicating the zone between 50 & 60kph.
            It's quite incredible how many of these dials can be found on Ebay, but most not correct or what they claim to be.
            Most tachos and speedo's advertised for 914-6GT or RSR are modified and either have the wrong item code, have the wrong dial, or both.

I'm still looking for a correct 300kph speedometer with a silver dot (911.641.503.00), so if you have one lying around in the basement or the attic, please let me know!

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

Jason initially followed what all other RSRs seem to have: the rubber hood straps in line with the verticals flanking the central oil cooler.
            However, as period pictures show, the R6 in 1973 had these straps more to the center of the car, something even the guys restoring the original R6 got wrong

IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG
            1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Nice work Patrick, you might sleep easier at night though, if you didn't look at any of the variations as being "wrong", someone will always pull out an old photograph from somewhere and out correct you.

Comment

True, but i try to be that annoying person myself.
                To date I have been quite lucky as I spent a lot of time investigating and most of the finds were fortunately by me or Jason

He did put the straps in the right place, although that may not have been all that clear from the first picture above, as it is in an angle:

IMG_4079.jpg
                1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Patrick, the OCD is paying off !

Good progress
                  '71 911 T 2.7
                  TYP 901 Register #16
                  Early 911S Register #2460
                  Looking for engine # 6112862

Comment

Loving the progress, keep it up!
                    Tom Laube
                    Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
                    VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Time for a quick update.

Another interesting topic I've been getting into recently is: Instruments or Gauges.
                      I already mentioned the tacho, which turned out to be a unit coming out of the 910 and 917 racers. but the other instruments are interesting too, as there's a couple of neat details that are easily missed.

I believe, based on pictures, PET manual, slidevalve911rsrs at pbase and a lot of reading, that the RSRs in 1973 model year had the following 4 dials (with the clock omitted) from left to right:

* VDO combined fuel/oil gauge, 80mm diameter, 911.461.206.xx, euro version for a 100L fueltank with "OEL" on the dial.
                      The R6 car has this dial turned 90 degrees to the left, a black sticker to cover the silver dot, and has two dyno labels on the center: "OELTANK" and "BENZINTANK".

* VDO combined oil temp & pressure gauge, 911.641.103.00, 100mm diameter, euro version with "DRUCK" on the right, not "PRESSURE", with oil dipstick logo on top.
                      R6 had again a square black sticker to remove the glare/reflection of the silver central dot.

* VDO 10K tacho, 115mm, 911.641.304.00, 30,000imp, but R6 as we know now had a 100mm tacho as per 917 in a metal ring to make it fit.

* VDO speedometer, 300kph, 100mm, 911.641.503.00, silver dot, with red lines indicating the zone between 50 & 60kph.
                      Also here R6 has a black sticker to cover the dot.

With all the RSRs being delivered as a Germany delivered model, code 100, I believe they should all have been equipped with the Euro dials, with the German text.
                      The restoration pictures of R6 also show these above dials and details, and because these are normally not changed during a racing lifetime (like seats, engine or body parts would have been), I trust that the restoration by Maxted-Page just put back what was in there, and is as it was as it raced in 1973.

The old museum car (911.360.0020/R2 with #8 before it got changed to the correct #9 it wore during the Targa Florio) however had a 250km/h speedometer, but I'm pretty sure that the 588 car (R6) had a 300pm/h sppedo as all the other RSRs had whereas the museum car was initially a 1972 modelyear car that was upgraded (prototype).

Interesting also is how many of these 300km/h dials can be found on Ebay but are either not correct or not at all what they claim to be.
                      Most tachos and speedo's advertised for 914-6GT or RSR are modified and either have the wrong item code, have the wrong dial, or both.

Anyway, I managed to find 3 of the 4 correct dials, including a 300kmh speedometer.
                      I still need to work out a pragmatic solution for the 917/910 tacho, but it's progress nonetheless.
                      first picture is of my dials,the second of the R6 car after its recent restoration.

IMG_4175.jpg

42.JPG

I did buy a cheapo Dymo embossing label maker a few years ago, but it turns out that the spacing is not as per original.
                      And as luck will have it, I only noticed the original historic picture shows "Zündung" with an umlaut after I bought a 1970s Dymo machine with the correct spacing....but no german letters.
                      I'll fix that up with some black paint i think

What else, I received the missing rear left bumper to body seal from Aase in the US, and Jason fixed the rollbar in place, replicating the slightly sloppy welding the Werks 1 crew did back in the day. (I just love those kind of details) and I think we're getting close to getting the car primed.

IMG_4182.JPG
                      1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Fantastic stuff

Comment

Patrick it is all in the detail!

Comment

OK, so a few things have happened since the last update; Jason (Chequered Flag Restorations) is not impacted by the COVID pandemic and is busy as ever.
                            So he's finalised work on panel gaps, filling irregularities and is now in the process of priming the car.

In the mean time I have ordered the various wiring harnesses from 'Kroon' in the Netherlands. They're not cheap (and the tanking dollar and GST doesn't help either), but they can do custom stuff, which is important in a project like this. Think twinplug (so two CDI wiring looms), fuel-pumps in the front and not in the back, and a few other different bits and pieces.
                            There's been a bit of a search again if the regulator/alternator combo is Bosch or SEV Marshal, (which mattered for the wiring loom) and checking 6 different RSR engine bays, they're 50/50 on the option. Even the PET manual has both so I'm not sure what is correct. However, my 1973 911T has a SEV Marshal regulator, so I went that way, even though Maxted Page used the Bosch for the R6 restoration. Then again, they've made more mistakes so who knows?
                            The shipment was delivered last Wednesday, and it turned out Kroon forgot to pack a few things and I forgot to order the 2nd fuel pump loom. Great customer support though, so those missing rear light looms & the 2nd fuel pump one should be here soon too.

News from 'Zuffenhaus', finally, too: They're pressure testing the 917 brake calipers now, so they should be on their way soon. It has only been 14 months since ordering.....
                            Talking about being patient. I'm still in talks with Kevin Jeanette (Gunnar Racing) on making me that fuelcell. He's now got another 914GT he's working on that jumped the queue, butat least I found he does respond on Instagram better than he does on emails. I'm working no a plan B though, as time is running out fast on this.

Anyway, things are still moving and here's a few recent pictures:
                            IMG_4260.jpg
                            IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG
                            1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by patrick911 View Post
                              OK, so a few things have happened since the last update; Jason (Chequered Flag Restorations) is not impacted by the COVID pandemic and is busy as ever.
                              So he's finalised work on panel gaps, filling irregularities and is now in the process of priming the car.
                              Of course ! - Jason is definitely an "essential service".
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                              Early 911-S Registry # 690
                              R-Gruppe # 367
                              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Now that I am done Patrick I hand the torch over to you and your wallet
                                Clyde Boyer
                                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                                President
                                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                                X