Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you adjust the balance?

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I wondered whether you could change the brake balance while driving.
      '71 911 T 2.7
      TYP 901 Register #16
      Early 911S Register #2460
      Looking for engine # 6112862

Comment

No, not while driving, and I think you'll need to turn the pin coming out of the cylinder to change how far it gets pushed when pressing the brake pedal.
        1973 911T Coupe
        1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Few updates.
          I pretty much finished the tedious job of removing the 'schutz' (underside protection) in January, and had Jason (from our sponsor Chequered Flag Restoration) pick up the car. This is what it looked like at that stage, sort of like a magic gumball, in its purple, white, yellow, black and green colours.
          IMG_2740.JPG
          IMG_2736.JPG
          1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Jason then started working on the differences between this G-series car and the F-series M491 it needs to become, so holes in dashboard were filled, aircon holes, brackets were removed and the front F-series wheel arch panels, as well as the oil cooler duct and front latch panel were all put in, to see how they would fit.

IMG_1043 - small.jpeg
            IMG_1047 - small.jpeg
            IMG_1075 - Copy.jpeg
            1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Oil cooler duct needs to ensure that the central oil-cooler actually does cool the air by having an airflow.
              It also means that the brand new front latch panel (Dansk) will need to be cut...
              (Duct purchased from elephant Racing in the US; apparently based on the original duct used in the RSRs - should clear the original cooler + leave sufficient space for the 110L fuel tank.)

IMG_1076 - Copy.jpeg
              IMG_1111 - Copy.jpeg
              1973 911T Coupe

Comment

In the mean time I ordered the glassfibre panels (front flares, hood, front & rear bumpers) from Mike Tankard in Melbourne.
                He took approx. 4 weeks to make 'm and was very pleasant to work with.
                Also good to mention is that I based my budget on these parts being bought overseas and this has - to date - been the only items that came in under budget

Jason tried fitting these items, as he will need to fabricate the brackets and make everything fit and align.
                The good news was that the parts were in good shape, but none of them obviously fit right away; neither did the metal RSR rear flares.

IMG_2836.JPG
                IMG_2829 - Copy.JPG
                1973 911T Coupe

Comment

IMG_1170 - Copy.jpeg OK, final one for now. Over the last few weeks, Jason has welded some of the reinforcement and F-series panels in, and focussed on getting the fibreglass parts all lining up nicely.
                  I have provided the doors, rear lid with ducktail in order for him to line stuff up.
                  It's getting there, but there's just so many things that have to be done to get a G-series 911S into a 1973 works RSR so it'll keep him busy for a while

IMG_1174 - Copy.jpeg
                  IMG_1183 - Copy.jpeg
                  1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Nice progress

Comment

Great to see this progressing - will be well worth it in the end
                      '71 911 T 2.7
                      TYP 901 Register #16
                      Early 911S Register #2460
                      Looking for engine # 6112862

Comment

Hats off, big project but it looks like you are moving forward at a great rate and it is in good hands.

Comment

Setrab Oil cooler finally ordered (from Patrick Motorsport) and received.
                          I held off on that because i wanted it to fit exactly like the original (NLA) Behr oil cooler did and needed to have data on dimensions once the duct and bumper was pre-fitted.
                          (note for future searches: the box in the RSR bumper is 60cm wide and the Setrab cooler is closest to the original Behr cooler, measuring: 54,6cm W x 10.8 H x 4.8cm D (Behr: 53cm W x 10.16cm H x 10cm D))

Setrab1.JPG

I also received the metal indicator housings and bumper brackets (Sierra Madre) which all were dropped off at Jason's workshop last week.
                          He's now welding the flares on and this is the first picture he shared. There's still some hammering and sanding to do, but you get the idea.

IMG_2877 - Copy.JPG

Searching for the 110L fuel tank now, and it looks as if Carpoint in Germany has one based on the original mould.
                          Yes, the works martini RSR had a fuel cell, but once i finally found someone (Kevin jeanette) who could make one, it quickly became too expensive and cumbersome to go down that path.

Finally, we had some trouble finding pictures that showed how the works RSRs had the battery boxes cut off; ST-Classic in NZ has block off plates for sale, which i purchased a few years back, but its not a great fit and we struggled to find examples of how they should be. Worse, seeing pictures on pbase I noticed there's some M491/RSRs that only have the passenger (Right hand side) box blocked off, whilst the Martini cars and the Brumos cars seem to have both blocked off. Again, there's no good or wrong in the replication of a racing car under development.

Anyway, In my search I ran across this page, that show restoration pictures of R6, the real #588 Martini RSR when it recently was brought back to the way it looked at the targa.
                          What a treasure trove!

Funnily enough, even though they got a trophy for the work done, I did notice they made a few errors when restoring.... How nerdy is that eh?
                          (for who wants to know, the RSR was delivered early in the year and did not have a 10,000rpm rev counter at the Targa Florio. The car also had the Heinzmann firebottle in the rear and not in the front. It was also fitted with a thinner rear view mirror (from the 914-6). Looks as though they left some of the changes they made through the years it raced in place.
                          Nice details though are the ducktail extensions, stickers and even the "R6" scribbled on the inside of the engine lid. Love that!

1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Great to read about the new work and the detail on the original cars. It’s always great to find one of those areas deep in recesses of the internet where the old photos are.

Comment

A quick update on bodywork progress of the Martini RSR rep project .
                              Jason has been busy over the last few months; The flares are welded on now and this month the following things have completed:
                              - oil cooler duct welded in, front latch panel cut;
                              - reinforcement for anti-roll bar kit fixed;
                              - mounting points for the harness on parcel tray welded on;
                              - tunnel reinforcement done;
                              - oil cooler mounted and positioned to fit in bumper

IMG_3008.JPGIMG_3009.JPG
                              IMG_3010.JPGIMG_3012.JPGIMG_3013.JPGIMG_3014.JPG
                              1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Looking Good. The steel flares look great.

Comment

Working...
                                X