Your doing well Patrick, coming up to your 6 year anniversary
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Looks amazing, great work!

Comment

On the home stretch now?? Looks wonderful - can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Its paint and assembly then?

JR
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Thanks guys,
          Yes, it's paint in Grand prix white all around first, then silver for the outside only and then the fun starts with the Martini striping and logos.
          Then it will be building back up. I've got most of the suspension, brake and wiring items sorted, but the engine is yet to be started on, so I reckon we're still just over a year away from having it ready. Fingers crossed
          1973 911T Coupe
          1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

1973 911T Coupe

Comment

how far away do you think it is Patrick?

6 months? 12? Less than both?

And be honest....

Looking awesome - I love the purity of 2.8 RSR's..... youre going to put 15 inch wheels on it arent you? Not 17's like many people do.

JR

Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1961 356B #114700

Comment

Hi Justin,
                I really can't answer the first question. Effort-wise the body should be ready before the end of this year, but it's timeshare both on my end as it is for Jason at Chequered flag so who knows. I haven't started work on the engine yet, so that may actually become the critical path pushing this into 2023.

And yes, it will get 15 inch wheels, but replica Fuchs as I can't justify the 12 to 15K for a set of real wheels that may actually break once you hit something as they're so old.
                1973 911T Coupe

Comment

As long as they are 15s Patrick …. No need to apologise for fitting replicas… are they braid wheels? A friend in Sydney is doing a 2.8 replica too and was adamant (thankfully) that he was going to fit 15s

jr
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1961 356B #114700

Comment

Originally posted by patrick911 View Post
                    Hi Justin,
                    I really can't answer the first question. Effort-wise the body should be ready before the end of this year, but it's timeshare both on my end as it is for Jason at Chequered flag so who knows. I haven't started work on the engine yet, so that may actually become the critical path pushing this into 2023.

And yes, it will get 15 inch wheels, but replica Fuchs as I can't justify the 12 to 15K for a set of real wheels that may actually break once you hit something as they're so old.
                    stick with it Patrick
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
                      Asare they braid wheels?
                      Yes, they are. Bought them years ago (Classic Wheels Australia - Andrew I believe?) before there were other replica options that don't have the outer lip.
                      Concern for the longevity of the real wheels seems to be a common thing as I've recently have seen 2 real RSRs for sale that had Braid wheels on.
                      Here's the French one (9113600960) for example:

1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Really admire your determination Patrick…. Keep it up.

jr
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1961 356B #114700

Comment

OK, it's been a while since i last posted here on the RSR project.
                          So what has happened?

We (I say we, but it has all been Jason's work really) completed the fuel fillers, and in such a way that even though it has the dry-breaks and looks 100% period correct, I can use it at the petrol pump. So the dog-bowls are welded on and in position and the hood has had the two covers fitted too.
                          Last bit is the balsa wood strips, that were put in there to keep the glassfibre hood from warping under speed. The strips are in and are being 'glassed' to make it look as the original.

original R6 hood:

the replica:

We've been preparing for the massive paint job this thing will need, and getting it right was a interesting process of trial and error.
                          The initial samples were not correct, but the second lot seems to be as they should be.
                          The weirdest thing was that we knew the correct silver for the Martini cars was Porsche color 6206, but the sample was waaaay too gunmetal-grey-like.
                          And in theory 5706 should be the same color (57 or 62 was the first year a particular code was introduced I believe), but that one came out exactly as we were expecting.

The dark blue was right first time, but the red was too orangy and the light blue too bright (too much KLM blue):

The second time was much better:

Guess that's one good thing if no-one can give you the exact color codes; you can't really be told you're wrong

As you may remember, the works RSRs had the same (mechanical) rev counters that were used in the 907s and 917s, ad one could identify these 10k tachos by the fact their scale went from 5pm (1k) clockwise to 2pm (10k) and were in a 100mm case rather than the 110 that the 'standard' 10k rev counter in all other RSRs has.
                          I thought I managed to find someone - even locally here in Melbourne - to make me a good replica of that instrument, but after 6 months of trying to keep him interested he indicated that he wouldn't/couldn't. Pretty disappointing, especially about the time wasting, but sometimes these things happen.
                          Anyway, I think I may have found a way to do this myself, as I found web pages where a later Bosch tacho can be adjusted to work with a replicated dial.
                          Watch this space...

Last edited by patrick911; 14-06-22, 11:08 AM.
                          1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Dedication to an urge to create perfection. Cheers Nev

Comment

Great to to see the progress Patrick - nice work
                              '71 911 T 2.7
                              TYP 901 Register #16
                              Early 911S Register #2460
                              Looking for engine # 6112862

Comment

finally something on the project that I've done myself (although under supervision and lots of support from Jason).
                                Whilst we're waiting for a spot in the paint shop, there's quite a number of things we can do in the now finished interior.
                                Jason seam-sealed the front compartment and painted it white the other week, so we could now tackle the fun job of getting the wiring loom and earth-cable through the tunnel.
                                I knew this was going to be tough, as I cut the old harness in half when taking the car apart as it was near impossible to get the thing out without damage, figuring that for a car like this, i didn't want to put 40+ year old wiring back in.
                                Anyway, pretty much took the whole day (as Jason warned me about beforehand) to just get the front-to-aft wiring and the front trunk wiring in place.

AL9nZEU8uk34fKHzav1OU4dN66mDOpz0HbQifw1YKkJ1_KEUfr_RFOxsInsG86WOPYEZNo705Y63Dentxmq2rmPZK--mkCFBWG3dVTd5RYiiDciKyu9nPnbPzCRfB4xIYZ7Qcb1uP2Lj1buCG-0WdbfXJ2Bo=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

AL9nZEVFGfRw7Le-9O2fMjuZW0wONOqvPpxEuFSt04pYj30NFDNiW-0u-CVAupL7wtFwcYPRkSSCOdyguYsi_stZvL6A5S0kUIUzEeS5hkdJbdd70cwJrlufstA4IluKuLPqqbFHpSEWt7KnXCgvdZGwMD3x=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

AL9nZEUgD52LvQme8n5kScCHzFcmiAX60qenYZY9BTG6C_dcT3U1RSMv8uRAYhDOxdCJ6oeE9l5GGgQVGEBUQpJxFj1ySlvkXHJTKyENbNQi9BhZxNy-V1MkYHH33dIQOZtsDdIlTOr2vJF0ZlFBnAcztAEi=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

Extremely happy sofar with the quality and fitment of the Kroon/Kroonwire product; highly recommended, but we do have a make a number of alterations, as the RSR has the (external & internal) cut-offs, has the dual fuel pumps at funky locations, CDI switches and it has the battery moved into the smugglers box.
                                Lot's of other things to do shortly, like brake lines, etc, but I first will have to re-paint the pedal assembly (we scratched the paint when we had to dry-fit it) and put it together.
                                Good that it will be raining over the weekend....

AL9nZEUPxW87Kudnt33-8oL4_TFzRUhthD-GlfAaLvDl4K7nCGfisGtESPpGjDSEi8OSM6wbBGhr9t0wr6Je0KIdfu3_a-LpmPsvWJRXyBWDiBJRCMFY6r3oC5glxhJYws2qE72cXWfQ02ZWASUoJ08ZI41X=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

AL9nZEWqY8EZHRT_S9w7-VF05hKElAPPHW3Ts77_-ViCAxrWspgNEizhbHvthf2geIAp_WX0poCEVVYxVz-D90VUuMXVBnlh845rlCVoI-DszzEAKrd1NJtTasvf-669NzQA04rWnUpbKj1WXdCkEKIlkwSW=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg
                                1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X