Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mickc
    replied
    Car arrived last week. Its very original, runs really well, just needs a lot of TLC and some rust removed from floor pans. Conversion was done well back in 1981, guessing all original parts. Tackling the rust could be a slippery slope, so i will sit on it for a bit until i decide which path to take

Leave a comment:

• mickc
    replied
    Turns out this is a members car? I see TYP901 on the club permit.
    Feel free to PM, as I would love to know a bit more about the car

Leave a comment:

• Terminator
    replied
    Good one Mick

Leave a comment:

• mickc
    replied
    Originally posted by generalsmirnov View Post
    Smyrna green original colour right? Love it, definitely should go back to that!
    Yellow is actually its original colour.

I just learnt the car is well traveled, as it was delivered in Germany, then spent some time in the US, then travelled to the Uk (where it was converted in 1981) then off to NZ for a while before finding its way to Melbourne.

I can’t wait to have a read through the books and history file

Leave a comment:

• generalsmirnov
    replied
    Smyrna green original colour right? Love it, definitely should go back to that!

Leave a comment:

• generalsmirnov
    replied
    Great buy, well done!

Leave a comment:

• mickc
    replied
    Originally posted by e72phil View Post
    That front apron is possibly a steel "S" spoiler and very valuable. It may well have been an option on the original car. It could also be a fibreglass repro but you will see when you get the car. I am surprised it sold for a relatively low price given the interest in long hood 911's these days. I agree with Sean that the description and pics were very honest. I am also sure you will be able to contact the mechanic who did a lot of the recent work as their name was on one of the receipts that was in the pics. I looked them up and they are in or around the Frankston area.

Not sure if you will sell this Targa for 3 times what you paid but it could well be worth at least twice your cost. Looking forward to hearing more about the car once you get it home.
    I believe the front apron is fibreglass.

Also I wasn’t implying this car will be worth 3x, simply making the point that I think I’ll be happy with it either way given the low entry cost.

I have always wanted an Irish green targa hot rod and given this car will never be praised by purists, it’s probably the car to do it too!

Leave a comment:

• e72phil
    replied
    That front apron is possibly a steel "S" spoiler and very valuable. It may well have been an option on the original car. It could also be a fibreglass repro but you will see when you get the car. I am surprised it sold for a relatively low price given the interest in long hood 911's these days. I agree with Sean that the description and pics were very honest. I am also sure you will be able to contact the mechanic who did a lot of the recent work as their name was on one of the receipts that was in the pics. I looked them up and they are in or around the Frankston area.

Not sure if you will sell this Targa for 3 times what you paid but it could well be worth at least twice your cost. Looking forward to hearing more about the car once you get it home.

Leave a comment:

• mickc
    replied
    Originally posted by e72phil View Post
    So Mick, you did end up actually buying this car ? Bid history says you are located in Proserpine, Qld. Is that right ? Car needs to be collected in Dandenong, VIC. Do you have someone local helping you organise the shipping ?

Will be interesting to her your comments on the car once you get hold of it and drive it. Also keen to hear how good the conversion looks and if it was done properly with factory parts.
    Yes I bought it. I only saw it for sale due to Mrar’s post last night, 1hr before it ended.
    I sold my last Targa for 3 times what I paid for this , so I’m happy with the risk I’ve taken!
    Hopefully the car carrier can collect from Grays depot, if not, I may sing out for help. Will update this thread once I get it home

Also…First thing I need to do is change that front apron back to original, so if anyone has one please let me know
    Last edited by mickc; 30-06-21, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrar
    replied
    Originally posted by mickc View Post
    Thanks for your replys Phil and Pete. I didn’t see any issues with the VIN either, but when I woke up this morning and saw my winning bid and Pete’s concerns, my heart skipped a beat…
    Anyway, looks like I have added another old car to the garage so I can feel guilty about not driving it
    Good work mickc.
    Honest description in the listing,
    hopefully you scored a good deal on a longhood.

Leave a comment:

• e72phil
    replied
    So Mick, you did end up actually buying this car ? Bid history says you are located in Proserpine, Qld. Is that right ? Car needs to be collected in Dandenong, VIC. Do you have someone local helping you organise the shipping ?

Will be interesting to her your comments on the car once you get hold of it and drive it. Also keen to hear how good the conversion looks and if it was done properly with factory parts.

Leave a comment:

• mickc
    replied
    Thanks for your replys Phil and Pete. I didn’t see any issues with the VIN either, but when I woke up this morning and saw my winning bid and Pete’s concerns, my heart skipped a beat…
    Anyway, looks like I have added another old car to the garage so I can feel guilty about not driving it
    Last edited by mickc; 30-06-21, 05:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• e72phil
    replied
    Mick, I didnt see a problem with the VIN as both the stamp in the trunk area and the aluminium plate on the front shut panel . both look original.
    I didnt look up the VIN number records to verify it was a Euro delivery but all other clues seem to confirm it was a LHD german car. One of the receipts also showed a VIN and Engine number and the engine number looked correct for a 71.
    Overall I think it looked like a reasonable car with many original bits. It did have a door armrest with a pull handle fitted to the passengers door as this would have originally had a plain armrest being a LHD build. Wipers also parked on the LHS and had not been "converted" to park on RHS. I am also assuming that if the car was converted in the UK around 1981, then parts such as RHD dash were still available as were other RHD conversion bits.

All that said, it would still be nice to inspect it in the metal and up on a hoist as I have owned several Targas and know the areas to look closely at and what's required to get them back in good shape. When Sean posted the link to the auction, I did for a minute, consider buying it at around the $50K mark but dont really need a new project and downsizing my home means I lose my 4-car garage soon.

Anyway, what did you think the issue was with the VIN ?

Leave a comment:

• PD Targa
    replied
    I take that back Mick, it’s a 71 targa. I shouldn’t post when I’m half asleep late at night.
    Last edited by PD Targa; 30-06-21, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mickc
    replied
    What’s your thoughts on the VIN Phil?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X