Carsales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carsales

Hi all- I've been admiring the marque for a while, and am keen to do something about it!

It looks like I've missed some great cars on the forum- and was wondering if you can share your views on 2 of the 911's on car sales; particularly the yellow 911s, and the red 911T

Thanks in advance

Colin

just to clarify... assume it's the yellow 69S targa you're referring to?

and there are a couple of red 911Ts...

(suspect it's the first one!)
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Welcome on board, Colin! You will find the forum a wealth of useful information, no doubt...certainly a great way to spend a few days just trawling though older forum posts to get a "feel" for the cars, the market & the pitfalls!

Perhaps you can give us an indication of what you're looking for in regards to your first early 911? Do you plan on getting a car you can do some resto work on yourself, or are you after a good driver straight out? RHD vs LHD conversion (or LHD in general)? T, E or S? Targa or hardtop?The variations are endless, and all combinations of the above generate their own conversation!

Perhaps it would be good for you to have a good look at a few members cars, have a chat to everyone - the Federation Square display coming up soon would be a great opportunity for that.
      Mark Munro
      '69 911T (sold)
      '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
      '69 MG Midget Group S car
      TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Hey thanks Richard- yes, right on both counts!

Thanks Mark- that's a great idea. I'll keep an eye out for opportunities to get along and see some cars in the flesh. As for what I'm looking for; well, a 911s in RHD- that doesn't need paint or body work. Interiors and engine work is ok if the price is right. I've got a 356b and learnt the hard way about rust and paint....

Colin I am confused you say your looking for a 911S but asking us for views on a 911T so is it S or your up for T E or S if the paint and body stack up
        Last edited by Terminator; 08-07-14, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Hi Colin,

welcome to our club.

re the 3 cars Richard has shown links for above:

1. yellow 911S has completely wrong seats and rear tail lights are for a 911R type conversion. More correct seats and lights are easily available to make the car closer to looking original and unmolested.

The tacho redlines too low for it to be from a real "S" instrument . Not sure what happened here ?

I havent seen the car personally, only what was obvious in the pics online.

2. Red 911T - thsi car has been advertised for some time now and this usually speaks something about "issues" it may have. Would need to eb inspected thoroughly.

3. other red 911T which has updated-to-G series body kit. Asking price is high considering a lot of work needed to get back to original body shape.

As Mark suggests, you really need to get along to Federation Square on Sun 20 July to see about 30 members cars and speak to the largest gathering of knowledgeable members in the one place. This will certainly assist you to hone in on exactly what you want spec.-wise and price-wise for an early car.

Do you have a realistic budget in mind ? This is your obvious starting point as it will dictate what possible cars you can consider buying.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
            Hi Colin,

welcome to our club.

re the 3 cars Richard has shown links for above:

1. yellow 911S has completely wrong seats and rear tail lights are for a 911R type conversion. More correct seats and lights are easily available to make the car closer to looking original and unmolested.

The tacho redlines too low for it to be from a real "S" instrument . Not sure what happened here ?

I havent seen the car personally, only what was obvious in the pics online.

2. Red 911T - thsi car has been advertised for some time now and this usually speaks something about "issues" it may have. Would need to eb inspected thoroughly.

3. other red 911T which has updated-to-G series body kit. Asking price is high considering a lot of work needed to get back to original body shape.

As Mark suggests, you really need to get along to Federation Square on Sun 20 July to see about 30 members cars and speak to the largest gathering of knowledgeable members in the one place. This will certainly assist you to hone in on exactly what you want spec.-wise and price-wise for an early car.

Do you have a realistic budget in mind ? This is your obvious starting point as it will dictate what possible cars you can consider buying.
            69S is a conversion from memory done well but a conversion non the less.
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

wow - thanks so much for all of that.

I'll work to get there on the 20th! As for the specifics - I've got $75k(+/-) to spend, increases subject to approval from the domestic treasurer ;-)

Thanks Terminator for the question; yes it is a "T" - I'm looking for an "S", but am keen to learn as much about buying these as possible - as I understand it, the difference is in the engine, so views on the rest of a car would be very much appreciated to help me figure out how to approach a purchase.
              Last edited by Pieboy; 08-07-14, 10:19 PM.

Comment

You will need a massive increase from the Tresurer if you really want an S

Differences are not just the engine, its also in suspension, body trim and options.

Rough guides in the condition you define (RHD, great body and paint).

S models the rarest and most desirable so we all know what that means for pricing

69 150 ish
                70 150 ish
                71 165 ish
                72 190 ish
                73 220 ish
                Last edited by Terminator; 08-07-14, 10:06 PM.
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President
                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                  69S is a conversion from memory done well but a conversion non the less.

.. with a 2.2E engine
                  Craig Sedgman
                  914/6 GT Clone Project
                  996 C2.1

Comment

Sorry for the thread hijack but does anyone happen to know the engine number of this 2.2E engine?
                    Cam Arnott
                    Looking for engine #6208151
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
                      Sorry for the thread hijack but does anyone happen to know the engine number of this 2.2E engine?
                      Call Peter- he restored Kane's 911 and am sure he would tell you.
                      Craig Sedgman
                      914/6 GT Clone Project
                      996 C2.1

Comment

Yes the 69S is Peter Hardts car. He has been on the search for original engine for some time to complete the package, but no leads. He is selling car to finish other projects.
                        Kane Kennedy
                        Typ 901 Register #204
                        71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Welcome Colin, my advice is get an S if you want to race, buy a T for a reliable ,comfortable and easy to drive road car. Ts have low down torque, Ss need 5000 rpm to get going. There are many magazine reports that extol the T as the better road car, as Porsche intended or go for an E in the mid range for your money. Good Luck and don't wait too long as the prices are escalating world wide at the moment.

Paul M

Comment

Yes agreed, you are aiming way high wanting a 911S and as Clyde says, they will cost you plenty.

You need to be aware of just how few of these cars are around and those who have them, aren't likely to be selling soon unless offered plenty of money.

Suggest you aim a little lower to widen your prospects and look at T's and E's. I agree the 911T is by far the easier car to drive daily. An I have one of each so can attest to a significant difference in each model and how they drive.

What made you decide on a 911S ? Hope it wasnt Mr Morgans book ?
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                            Early 911-S Registry # 690
                            R-Gruppe # 367
                            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                            X