• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carsales: 1973 Porsche 911 F E

No affiliation...but loove the interior

Ad reads,

Australian delivered Right Hand Drive
    One of five RHD 1973 E coupes known to exist.
    This one has the sunroof.

Has 2.7EFI engine in car 6273912

Garage find in Brisbane

Original 2.4E MFI engine complete ground up build available 6229186
    18,000 spent on original factory spare period correct engine.
    Providence with engine alone.

This is rocking horse **** .. rare
    It is also exceptionally affordable collectable and appreciating drivable classic motoring at cash and carry price.

Attached Files
    Last edited by douglas; 18-07-14, 12:28 PM. Reason: add link to ad
    Doug
    IG: @porschepicto

One of Aussie delivered five RHD 73E coupes known to exist? That doesn't sound right . . . maybe five with sunroof?

Comment

And the "Original 2.4E MFI engine" is "available"?????
      Doug
      IG: @porschepicto

Comment

Has a Spyder Automobiles sticker on rear window so best we got onto Mike and ask him what he knows about it. Wonder how long its been in Brisbane ?

Also has incorrect electronic speedo and silver turn signals - should be black for a '73 model.

Hugh will no doubt chime in about the VIN and engine numbers to see if its on his database of Aussie delivered cars.

Its history will no doubt emerge. I seem to remember a silver 911 with a red interior some years back for sale in Melbourne. Perhaps its buried somewhere in old threads ?

Cant hide too much from us TYP901 guys.....
        Last edited by Terminator; 19-07-14, 09:45 AM.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I'm guessing the gearbox is wrong - incorrect speedo is electronic, so it's a post 76 box... Ex-sporto perhaps?

Doesn't mean it's not a great car of course, if I can help anyone out looking at the car let me know.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I will look at the numbers when I get home tonight ..... BUT I am a bit surprised that an aust delivered car would have a full size spare. My car and the other E's that I have seen have the 85 liter tank and space savers
            The "original" engine that is mentioned in the ad is for a 72E sporto car (6229xxxx) 2 for 72 and for E and 9 for sporto while the car is obviously a 73 (apart from all the non 73 items like horn grills, front side lights, rear lights, badging at and engine grill? Etc). I think I would be checking the production number :-( although it is hard to tell from those photos. If this one is worth $100k I hate to think what mine would be worth :-)
            Last edited by HughH; 18-07-14, 02:02 PM.
            Hugh Hodges
            1973 E
            Australian TYP 901 Register #005
            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hmm.... keen to understand from the assembled knowledge what its really worth and, should I see if he'll entertain an offer?

Comment

Originally posted by Pieboy View Post
                Hmm.... keen to understand from the assembled knowledge what its really worth and, should I see if he'll entertain an offer?
                As you read above there is instant doubt that the car is 'as advertised' (you get this instant anorak critique as part of your membership ). So you really need to go and visually assess a car like this to be absolutely sure of what you have BEFORE you throw around numbers...

By all means offer a deposit dependant on inspection and verification of numbers.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

All right, I feel like critiquing - the more I read it the more cranky it makes me At the risk of this being read and insulting the seller - here goes...

Australian delivered Right Hand Drive
                  One of five RHD 1973 E coupes known to exist.
                  This one has the sunroof. I think this is doubtful...

Has 2.7EFI engine in car 6273912 This means it has bog-stock incorrect 2.7CIS

Garage find in Brisbane It's clearly parked under a high-set house where it's probably been hanging around - hardly a surprise find

Original 2.4E MFI engine complete ground up build available 6229186
                  18,000 spent on original factory spare period correct engine.
                  Providence with engine alone. WTF? I think this means a series compatible motor is available for an extra cost but the ORIGINAL engine is lost.

This is rocking horse **** .. rare No it's not - it would be closer to the truth if the car was actually original
                  It is also exceptionally affordable collectable and appreciating drivable classic motoring at cash and carry price. You are clearly a car-dealer

Is it still a nice car? Possibly/probably, but that's no excuse for sloppy ad writing... I'm sure it'll turn out to be a 73E and probably Aussie delivered RHD - great! Colour and particularly interior are desirable (despite my silver stir-up in another thread). Someone has changed out the original sporto engine and box for an engine from a G series 2.7 on CIS (not a special engine in any way). I bet the gearbox belongs to that same CIS engine as it has an electronic speedometer setup.

To my mind, if it is solid and corrosion free with a clean and unmolested interior, it is comfortably a $60+k car. If the original series engine is thrown into the deal it's probably an $80k car. Find it's original engine and sporto, and up she goes... Not a $100k car on face value based on the ad.
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

Nicely put John.
                    Its an early "Backdate" 73 with 70 finishes. Zag's 1st go perhaps.LOL
                    Moto

Comment

Nice wrap up Fishcop!!!
                      What's with the bizarre photography?

Nice car though. Looks clean.
                      Price is always how much someone wants to pay.

Comment

I decided to call Mike Jacobsen at Spyder and he knows a fair bit about this car having worked on it as late as 12 months ago when it was down here. So its not exactly a 'barn find'.

Current engine in is is a 2.7 CIS that actually came out of Mike's old Blue car for those that remember it.

there is a very long and convoluted story that Mike can fill you in on if you are seriously interested in the car. He also knows about the 2.4 engine which is NOT its original engine but he did help the current owner source it.

Mike says the car is basically sound but has some small issues that need addressing. Anyone keen to get a numbers matching original car wont find it in this one and will need a lot of luck hunting down the original engine and gearbox.

Mike' s number can be found via the Spyder Autos link above as he is a Forum sponsor. he sounded happy to help anyone seriously looking to buy the car.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Good intel Phil. I just can't get my head around $100k for a non-matching car that still has "small issues" . . . but, the market will decide, not me!! It has been amazing watching how quickly Autohaus Hamilton is selling cars at the moment . . . they put a white 964 on their site a few days ago and it sold in hours.
                          Last edited by npvpositive; 18-07-14, 05:47 PM.

Comment

OK time for some facts

It is an Australian delivered 1973 E. It was originally light ivory and a sporto - one of 15 E sportos (there were another 15 E manuals.)

When I first came across it in the early 2000's it was for sale at Shannons auctions and still was light ivory but had a non original engine number listed against it (6318954) but that is not only a non original number but one that (i think) does not exist). At that time it had received a brand new "Blackmans" leather interior. It was originally a Sydney car delivered to a doctor there in 1973.

I saw it a bit over the past few years - some may remember it at the 356 day in 2012 and I think 2011. (i am sure there will be a photo on the site here somewhere) At that stage it was registered RYD402 i think

On the rarity of these cars, apart from this one, I am aware of about 14 of the 30 such cars delivered here... not quite prolific but not rare

Also I am not sure if the "spare" engine is not 6229182, rather than the 6229186 mentioned in the ad, given that was the engine number quoted last time the car that used to have that engine in it was advertised for sale. (it was not original to that car either)

this is what it looked like in the early 2000's
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by HughH; 18-07-14, 08:08 PM.
                            Hugh Hodges
                            1973 E
                            Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by npvpositive View Post
                              Good intel Phil. I just can't get my head around $100k for a non-matching car that still has "small issues" . . . but, the market will decide, not me!! It has been amazing watching how quickly Autohaus Hamilton is selling cars at the moment . . . they put a white 964 on their site a few days ago and it sold in hours.
                              There's been at least 3 or 4 cars that have sold in less than a day at Autohaus in the past few weeks. An SC, a 3.2 Carrera and this week, a 964 manual C2. Everything seems to be on the way up, not just the 901's.
                              Damian Royce
                              TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Working...
                              X