Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72 911T Targa coming up for sale

Hi guys,

I thought I would post about this upcoming sale of my 72 T 2.4 Targa as we are still in the stages of cleaning it and replacing a lot of bits in readiness for sale.

For those looking for an extremely rust free car. now is a good time to inspect this particular vehicle whilst its virtually fully disassembled. Currently the car is painted in Light Yellow but originally was Aubergine and after a full hot wash of the car, areas of the original paint can easily be seen.

Should a prospective buyer wish to have the car painted in its original colour, now is the time to put your hand up as its relatively easy to remove the glass and front guards and paint the car. Once we reassemble it, there will be hours of work to strip it down again should a new buyer then decide to take it back to original colour. This is now an extremely collectable and rare colour .

Details of the car are as follows:

1972 911T, originally an MFI car and LHD (US delivery). Now its RHD.
    Matching engine and gearbox numbers as delivered.
    Engine now running carburettors and driving very well.
    LHD to RHD conversion appears to have been done very well (circa 2002).
    2.4L engine and 5 spd 915 box.
    15' x 6" Fuchs wheel (4) 1 5.5 x 6 spare (steel)

What I plan to do now:

Complete clean and strip down of suspension and underside of car.
    Fit all new suspension bushes and rubbers. New shockers. Brake Calipers checked and rebuilt as required. Discs machined and painted.
    Many nuts, bolts & parts replated back to original specs.
    New indicator lenses as required. All light housing cleaned and refurbished. All wiring tidied up back to factory specs.
    Engine completely serviced with new filters, plugs, ignition wiring, engine shroud repainted, all tinware powdercoated. New main seal and camshaft seal. New oil return pipe seals.
    New clutch, pressure plate, thrust bearing. New clutch cable.
    Heat exchanges and muffler painted in VHT grey.
    New front gearbox seal to resolve visible oil leak.
    Pedal assembly re-bushed and gearbox linkages rebushed.
    Targa top completely rebuilt with new side rubbers. All new windscreen rubber seal for targa top, bonnet, door and rear rubber seals as required.
    New carpet set for interior and trunk. New door cards. Original steering wheel and gearshift knob fitted.

Price is $71,500 once its all finished but paint will remain in Light Yellow unless sold prior and new owner wants repaint to Aubergine. I can assist with this but paint and prep. will be at buyers expense.

This is an extremely rust free example and I invite serious buyers to look at the car now where any and all blemishes are completely exposed. There are no secrets hidden here as can easily be the case with other cars being offered for sale complete.

Feel free to PM me but only seriously interested buyers please. car is offered to TYP901 members first before going on to CarSales once its finished.

Please note, I have posted pics of some of the outstanding areas of this 42 yr old car that have survived amazingly well. Those of you who have seen some poor examples of early 911's will appreciate how well preserved this car is. As they say, this car has " very good bones".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by e72phil; 13-11-14, 05:35 PM.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Good luck with the sale Phil.

It screams to be returned to Aubergine!
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
      Good luck with the sale Phil.

It screams to be returned to Aubergine!
      Really John? Wouldn't you convert it to RHD and paint it silver

Comment

Excellent value Phil.

Comment

Phil this may help your sale I have a full 72 MFI set up for this car if someone wants to buy it and return it to MFI. Won't cost you too much LOL
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Well its not too hard to add the MFI setup as all the tinware etc is still there to suit an MFI car.

It still runs great on carbys and I drove it all last summer and it was very driveable as "T's" are.

Today was spent hot washing many more parts in readiness for powder coating and paint. We are at the stage where its still possible for someone who wants to go the whole hog and replace many items to bring this up to concours standard.

It would be nice to go back to original paint but since I am not keeping the car, there is a limit to how much you spend vs. what I can expect to sell the car for.

I believe the asking price is very realistic given the exceptional condition of this car and with all the Aubergine paint showing thru on many sections of the car, its clear its had no major work on any of its 4 corners. Its also showing no signs of rust in all the real problem areas because its been in dry climates all its life.

As I said, interested parties should step up for a closer look now, before we have all the bits painted, plated and back on the car.

The aim is to have it done in the next 2-3 weeks. This is not a long winded project car as there is no major work to be done. It was all running a week ago and will be again very soon, but this time all tight and new looking.
            Last edited by e72phil; 04-08-14, 06:46 PM.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

All the best with the sale, I hope it's simple & someone is enjoying driving it real soon.

Comment

Some more info on teh car courtesy of Porsche Classic in Zuffenhausen:

The VIN - 9112111475
                Engine - 6123460 - T
                transmission - 328532 - 5 gears
                delivered - 01.05.1972 - US
                colour - aubergine - 4010

wheels - 6 x 15
                sportseets le/ri
                Comfort version
                tinted screens
                frontspoiler

It still has everything except the Sports seats (rats) which have been replaced by some BF Torino Nurburgring R seats (not by me).

The S style front spoiler is steel and original because you can see the Aubergine paint behind it. Original FUCHS wheels are still on the car too.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Hi Phil,

Good luck with the sale! Looks to be a beauty, it should be snapped up!

Cheers,

Harry.
                  Last edited by Harry; 07-08-14, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Harry, I had an interested member come and view it yesterday and he appreciated seeing the car stripped bare. No better way to understand how original and rust free it is than to see it in this state.

We are still contemplating painting it back to original Aubergine but am a little concerned this may limit buyers as its such a striking colour and maybe not to everyones taste.

What do others think ?
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Phil, there are more than enough yellow cars around and available

Aubergine is a classic and classy colour for the period. To my mind it's preferable to yellow, and that fact that it's original and correct to the car makes it a no-brainer. Setting aside the not inconsiderable expense of repainting - as you say, now is the perfect and 'cheapest' time to do it.

John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Phil
                        i concur with John, as the owner of a 73 ex US T/E Targa I find a lot of the early colours to be in your face. even my Bahia Red is loud!! Looking at the article John loaded go the Aubergine looks stunning!!
                        I am sure Gus will agree!
                        Neville

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                          Thanks Harry, I had an interested member come and view it yesterday and he appreciated seeing the car stripped bare. No better way to understand how original and rust free it is than to see it in this state.

We are still contemplating painting it back to original Aubergine but am a little concerned this may limit buyers as its such a striking colour and maybe not to everyones taste.

What do others think ?

Phil, I'd definitely go Aubergine. People will always have an opinion on colours but I think originality wins the argument hands down. IMHO.
                          Damian Royce
                          TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                            What do others think ?

Aubergine is COOL!!!!
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I am with Richard having admired Kents car many times however what is the point, you of all people should know you will get less money back than it costs to strip paint and put back together.

By the way how is the powder blue Targa going....case in point.
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X