1965 912 for sale at Autohaus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1965 912 for sale at Autohaus

At Autohaus Hamilton we are car fanatics - Porsche fanatics to be precise. We understand that Porsche ignites a special connection with people.

Not mine.

VIN: 351279 (originally a UK car)
    $115,000

Known as the Type 902, the 912 was announced in April of 1965 as a replacement for the 356 that would cease production in September of that year and as a more affordable option at the time to the brand new type 901 ( 911 ).
    Since the 912 shared the aerodynamic chassis of the 911 and the reliable engine from the 356, it made for a very sporty little car. The 4 cylinder engine had some great attributes, firstly it was proven, having come from the 356, secondly it gave better for / aft weight distribution than the 911 and lastly it was lighter by some 250 pounds and could achieve 30 mpg on the free way.
    All of the above culminated in a car that outsold the 911 in 1966 by two to one.

This particular car was first delivered in the UK as a factory RHD 1966 year model car.

It was a very early build 912 and would have likely been completed in October 1965. It still retains its original matching numbers format as confirmed by Porsche Cars Australia.

The car was imported to Australia some time in the late 1970's and has been with the same owner since approx 1982 right up until this year.
    The original colour was light Ivory with red leatherette interior, it currently finds itself in VW alpine white which is slightly more white than Ivory and the interior was changed to black using all period correct trim purchased from Stoddard's. It was changed purely due to the previous owner preferring this colour scheme to the original and it has been done extremely well and looks superb.
    We have spent the last few months going through the car from front to rear carrying out remedial work wherever required. Of note the carburettors and most of the fuel system has been completely overhauled, resulting in a car that now runs beautifully. Steering bushings, pedal bushings, throttle bushings etc... were also all replaced which give the car a lovely tight and crisp feel.

Being a UK car, one of our first concerns was chassis and general underbody rust, and we are happy to say that following a very thorough inspection, we can not find any. This is likely a result of the previous owner having always garaged the car with his other classics.

It comes complete with toolkit, spare wheel ( correct date stamp from 1964 ) and correct jack.
    No original service book as such, but a huge number of receipts and the owners manual are present.
    It is eligible for full registration without restriction in all states. No plates currently fitted as it was on historic plates which are not transferable. Either put It back on historics or we can supply the car registered in NSW.
    Last edited by npvpositive; 16-12-15, 06:25 PM.

Looks nice and original inside and those motors are sweet running and easy to tune. Looks a solid prospect.

Comment

Nice but a lot of coin for a 912 with a few incorrect bits...e.g.later moder guards (all 4) wrong tail lights, etc..
      Last edited by Adamz; 16-12-15, 10:32 PM.

Comment

True Adam. I hadn't noticed those 'guards, got lost in all the white. That is a big factor in originality.

Comment

And I agree on the lights too. A hasty preparation perhaps ?
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I know the car and the owner.... it won a concours or 2 back in the day. Late 80's early 90's

Basically the things you have pointed out were not available when this car was refurbished (mid to late 80's) - swb's and 912's were being chopped up, or having monster motors put into them and or becoming rally cars when this car was being done.

Now they are these things could be easily fixed- repro swb indicator lenses are easily sourced, even guards. Porsche do excellent ones. The car is an excellent base to work off.

I wish them well with the sale....
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I like it a lot. Price is ok as well.
              Like a few people have said these cars were a candidate for a 6 cyl install so you never know. These may even become on par with the 911’s!!!!!
              I will go out on a limb and say say in a few years they will be.

Comment

Very true Justin. History is the key here.

Comment

Hi gents are you saying the rear/ front guards on this 912 are not original? i.e. wider than normal? I can't tell. But I can spot the issue with rear tail light.

Comment

John the guards are LWB not SWB. Flared slightly versus the flat profile of the earlier guards
                    Cam Arnott
                    Looking for engine #6208151
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Thanks Cam��

Comment

Working...
                      X