SWB in Disguise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWB in Disguise

If anyone is up for a project, this car http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3774059/?Cr=7 would seem to be not as described...

Almost definitely a 68. See gauges, interior doors, front quarter glass, and 1 piece knee pad. It's converted and the engine/box will be long gone, 68 only front guards and most metal isn't going to be easy to find - but glass components can be sourced. I can't see enough to tell if the original rear (SWB) trailing arms are present. It would make a cool lightweight with the 3.0/915

No affiliation, just surfing the net
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Bloody hell. You are good! Do we even need a Vin #

Comment

Nice work Sherlock!

I can see it all except the front guards - what's the giveaway there John?

Comment

The dash, dials and the door inner handles are a start, as John says. Daunting prospect that car.

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
          Nice work Sherlock!

I can see it all except the front guards - what's the giveaway there John?
          The giveaway is the G series hanging panels

If you had to hunt for 68 guards, you have a shallow pool. 1968 saw a the change to 5.5" 'deep' fuchs (from 4.5 and 5") - so the 67 style front guard had the inside lip scalloped to accept the ever so slightly wider rubber without rubbing. 1969 saw a complete change to the 69-73 guard, this makes another MY68 only component. On a car like this you just wouldn't worry and accept a standard swb guard (probably in fibreglass) - most people never notice.

A chassis number will tell you if it's a 911or a 912; and also if it's S, L, or T (no E for another year) and where it was likely delivered. The US "L" is different from the ROW "L".
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Nice sleuthing mate

Comment

It has an upright grab handle on the drivers door ... Does anyone else with a 68 have this?
              I always thought they only had passenger grab handle?

Comment

Just saw your response to Ash in another thread John - answers my question above!

Comment

The upright is a separate piece that can be added or removed.
                  Only came standard on passenger side.

Comment

For 25% premium for the US dollar, plus freight, this could be better value than the expense of restoring the 68?

This is a one owner unmolested 1979 911 Targa. With only 8,036 original miles. Black/black leather sport seats. Comes with Dealer window sticker. OEM sport shocks. Black trim and headlight washers. See window sticker for full details. Selling for a friend and final transaction will be directly with owner. Price is 76,500.00 obo 364966364965364964

Comment

I enquired about this, in case something interesting was hiding as it's not far from me.

It was interesting...it's got the VIN from a 1973 RSR (thanks Hugh) ......

Comment

Yes and that RSR is alive well and very well documented. Currently in the USA. So if anyone thought they may get a cheap RSR ...think again
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
                          I enquired about this, in case something interesting was hiding as it's not far from me.

It was interesting...it's got the VIN from a 1973 RSR (thanks Hugh) ......
                          Ha is that one still about? I inquired on it a few years back as did a few others I think.
                          Cam Arnott
                          Looking for engine #6208151
                          1970 911E (Sold)
                          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                          2 x Split Screen Kombis
                          TYP 901 Register # 78
                          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

If that is the car I am thinking of it used to have a 2 litre engine that David swapped for the 3.0 litre and it actually has a 73RS chassis number but the owner told me it was a 68, when I picked the chassis number he jumped in and shot off real quick....
                            Toby 0415 333 380

27 Lancia Lambda Torpedo
                            61 Karmann Ghia Oz matching #'s
                            68 911S UK matching #'s
                            68 911L UK matching #'s
                            71 911S Oz matching #'s
                            71 RX2 Coupe stock standard
                            74 911 2.7MFI Carrera Oz matching #'s
                            09 AUDI RS6 Sedan Oz matching #'s
                            15 Range Rover Sport

Comment

Working...