Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanted engine upgrade for my 2.2 T - EOI

A broad question I know...

considering an engine upgrade to my 2.2T, and while I have been looking at the 'simpler' end of the spectrum disorder - cams, head work etc and or possible larger P&C''s and or...

Though before I pull apart a good engine would like to know if anyone has or know of any interesting plug n play engines lurking. As I have grown to enjoy the driveability of the T not necessarily after 'massive' HP gains.

At the moment willing to consider all scenarios though probably leaning to a Carbied solution over Inj. Though an E derivation or similar would be tempting.

( interested in the comments about Reg Morts 2.2-2.8 upgrade...)

happy to be schooled publicly

PM me if you have any offer or a lead.

cheers

Michel

What do you actually want the motor to do? How do you drive? Do you want a 'mileage' motor or an 'hours' motor? What is your budget? Must you use the current engine as a base? Are you prepared to machine the case and render it unable to be returned to stock?
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John preference is to keep the existing engine stock or at least able to be made stock. Having said that the engine in the car is not the matched case. That is sitting in the shed.

So push comes to shove - happy to do machine work to the case .

I have been using the car as a semi daily but less so recently. Susp is been set up for competent road with some ability to enjoy a club event.

Car is a 71 so would like to keep a lot of the driving characteristic of the T some HP gain welcome , though additional torque more so.

As before enjoy the driving experience of the T as is just wanting a little more.

There was a 2.4e engine complete with ssi exhaust on gumtree last week missed it by minutes 9k .

Budget would be 8-15 k whether I fiddled with my motor, or found a replacement. Might be optimistic

Comment

Obvious answer is increase capacity and compression... I would look at P&Cs from EBC (JPs), and a set of DC40 cams - compression could be set at 10:1 comfortably. You could go to around 2.5l without boring the spigots of the case - if you mill the spigots you could go to a 2.7 or 2.8l configuration. Webers/PMOs set up to suit.

Costs for these parts would easily meet your budget ($5k), however the cost grows as you rebuild as "whilst you're there" you may as well do the heads up ($1200), reface and harden rockers, new chains and ramps, you'll need a full gasket kit, and a bunch of sundries that add up. If you were to do the majority of the build yourself I reckon you'll get change from $10k and have a brand-new zero-Km engine.

BUT, $10k gets you a nice (very nice) 3.2 engine or any number of engine combos already on the market offering instant Hp and torque without the drama of rebuilding. And someone is always sitting on an engine when you ask around...
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Same page John

Hence my questions either looking for a plug n play option, or will start collecting the parts..

So at this stage a broad church and happy to look at whats out there.

So PM if you have or know of an interesting engine option and or parts

Edit: could this get moved to the relevant section Thx
          Last edited by Michel; 19-08-14, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Find Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission ads in Ipswich 4305, QLD. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.

Any interest?

Comment

Adam thx for the heads up. Saw it minutes after posting, though It's the same engine typ I'm currently running.

bit of a wonky worded add, knows the value, won't state a price disassembled...could yield a few bits n bobs

Comment

Hi Michel, I recommend that you read Wayne Dempsey's How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 engines 1965-1989 as he has charts for his Top Engine Picks, which give a variety of combinations for our engines.
                Cheers
                Paul M

Comment

Thx paul - got the books, seen the threads...

Just wanting to see what if any built engine options are out there

Pm's gratefully received

Comment

Berbump

Comment

Does Andre still have his high butterfly motor?

Comment

he would die first

Comment

Working...
                        X