3 spoke wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 spoke wheel

Looking for a top quality black 3 spoke wheel to suit Australian delivered 1979 930 Turbo. Should be same as IB Carrera pre1986.
    As I will be travelling thru England any leads greatly appreciated.

Very hard to get the correct wheel Nev.
    You will need to read a few threads to pick up the differences between the many variations of the 3 spoke wheel, as it was used on 944 and 928 also.
    You want he one that has the rim concentric with the centre hub, which is distinguished, visually, by the bottom spoke being the same length as the side spokes,(hard to pick until you compare it to another where the bottom spoke is slightly shorter)

I'm sure if you are willing to pay you will get one, but I would expect $750 plus.

This happens to most, and replacement is not available
    Attached Files

Comment

Hmm
      That one looks nice Chris

Comment

Nev, you could buy this one, which is rubber, like the picture above.

and I could get it correctly leather covered for you for AUD$200 and it would be perfect.

Comment

I will see what comes up if anything. It seems to get a bit confusing. Mine should be black leather. Currently sporting similar wheel to our 86 Carrera (rectangular). Any leads on who I can talk to in the UK as we will be doing Isle of Man races and Goodwood Revival as well as Ireland and Scotland.

Comment

I was too slow chasing up the wheel that Chris saw on Pelican Parts. Any leads or ideas eagerly sought; I have tried David Janz and aPorschaPart any leads apparently the correct 930 wheel has 3 identical length spokes as opposed to the standard 3 spoke as fittedto the more common S and SC and Carrera's but I am no expert.

Comment

If you're heading to the UK, I'd jump on the DDK site and see what's about. Alan Canford, Francis Tuthill, and Phil Hinley all run vintage 911 outfits over there.
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

It might also be worthwhile asking on this site http://www.impactbumpers.com/

Comment

Here are a few pics. 1st pic: One of these is off a 76 turbo, the other is identical to it (not sure what model it came from). The next picture shows the difference between the early thick grip center hub and the later models (borrowed from the net). Last pic just to confuse is the one that I have on my C3.o.
                  The turbo ones are the same thickness as the one on the Carrera but are narrower than the thick grip early.
                  Attached Files
                  Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks I can see differences but I am really struggling to work out what the easy to describe differences are. And then some are moulded rubber and others stitched leather. Do you know of any that are or could be available? I emailed some of the IB guys in the UK but no luck yet. Starting to think that apart from a concours judge 99% of people would think the leather bound Carrera wheel is correct.
                    Nev

Comment

...there is one other element to look out for on these wheels. Note the rings of small vents on the 3-spoke backing cover of mrar's Carrera 3.0 wheel (the interior / dash image).
                      Last edited by damianroyce; 24-08-15, 06:14 PM.
                      Damian Royce
                      TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Originally posted by klasikcis View Post
                        Thanks I can see differences but I am really struggling to work out what the easy to describe differences are. And then some are moulded rubber and others stitched leather. Do you know of any that are or could be available? I emailed some of the IB guys in the UK but no luck yet. Starting to think that apart from a concours judge 99% of people would think the leather bound Carrera wheel is correct.
                        Nev
                        I believe the rubber is what's behind the stitched leather. If you see one like this it means the leather is missing.
                        Damian Royce
                        TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Ok to sum up I need the one on the left in the second lot of images ( sourced from the net) that shows the location of the boss to be in the absolute centre of the outer rim of the wheel so the wheel rotates circurlarly not orbital to the steering shaft. Additionally it needs the ventilated or strengthening ribs on the inside of the backing cover. The only other thing that I think I have lost in the translation is the thick early wheel compared to the thinner later wheel!!!

Comment

Originally posted by klasikcis View Post
                            Ok to sum up I need the one on the left in the second lot of images ( sourced from the net) that shows the location of the boss to be in the absolute centre of the outer rim of the wheel so the wheel rotates circurlarly not orbital to the steering shaft. Additionally it needs the ventilated or strengthening ribs on the inside of the backing cover. The only other thing that I think I have lost in the translation is the thick early wheel compared to the thinner later wheel!!!
                            Nev,
                            you need to find the wheel type in the first picture (same as the right hand wheel in 2nd pic).
                            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their comments and leads. Have just spent 30 minutes at aPorschaPart who has shown me a selection of wheels and his parts index. Bottom line is I have widened the search so that I am looking for an ex 78/84 911 black 3 spoked leather stitched wheel with a VW stamp inside the wheel near the hub. Happy to have the wheel recovered.

Comment

Working...
                              X