Intro - wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro - wanted

Hi everyone, I'm new to the register but have been watching from the sidelines for a while. I was intending to join once I found a car but am getting frustrated in my search so would appreciate help in finding an appropriatte car. The long term goal ( I tend to keep vehicles for ages) is to end up with a hot rod with no flares, wings etc but performance mods, light interior etc. It will be used on road with a view to tarmac rallies and track days. I am a qualified mechanic (no longer hands on but in a consumer advocacy role) and would like to get involved in the rebuilding/modification. As such I am not looking for a restored car or something in good original condition but rather prefer a sound body with all other bits open to consideration. Prefer RHD but am considering LHD so any tips or comments welcome. With my technical background I'm also looking forward to contributing to various issues.
    Jeff
    Jeff Eelkema
    TYP 901 #132
    S-Reg #1431
    69E (project)
    various bevel Ducatis
    60s Vespa

Hi Jeff

Welcome aboard!

I spied a 912 in Unique cars this month for $8,000 in LHD.

At that price if was reasonably rust free it might be a good basis for a project...

This board is a great help for advice and finding stuff for your car. Please keep us posted as you go along.

Cheers

Cam
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Thanks Cam

I have thought of 912s but would prefer to start with a 911. At least if I did have to sell, a modified 911 will always bring more money and the time, effort and cost in the build are the same. Seems to me you only save in the short term. I am not sure, but I suspect it might be an issue with eligability in some competion events as well, still looking into regs for car events, I am more familiar with historic regs for bikes.

Cheers
      Jeff
      Jeff Eelkema
      TYP 901 #132
      S-Reg #1431
      69E (project)
      various bevel Ducatis
      60s Vespa

Comment

Welcome to the board Jeff. Glad to you signed up!

Heaps of good stuff here.
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Welcom Jeff

You've just described what I've spent the last 7 years building myself

My only advice is get a sound shell from the beginning - you could even consider a late 70's shell as it will be galvanised and has the narrow body. From there you can pretty much build your heart's desire...

LHD will get you in cheaper, but RHD is nicer if you're going to drive regularly on the road like I do.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Welcome Jeff!

enjoy your stay. I joined up only recently but have already enjoyed the benifits of membership, technicaly and socially(sunday fangs etc.) You'll find the members most helpful and entertaining.

BTW which part of the country are you in?

Comment

Thanks John (both)

I'm in Brisbane and yes I have considered a post 73 model but it starts to bring in issues with ADR compliance with engine mods so it's easier to keep a car legal with the early cars.

Cheers
              Jeff
              Jeff Eelkema
              TYP 901 #132
              S-Reg #1431
              69E (project)
              various bevel Ducatis
              60s Vespa

Comment

I don't imagine you'd be allowed to run mfi on anything post '76?

someone?.......

Comment

hi jeff

welcome. a few of us (including me) regularly compete in tarmac rallies, historic circuit racing and other competition events. sadly, the eligibility rules vary greatly. don't hesitate to ask any eligibility questions for the events you have in mind.

Comment

Hi Jeff

I'm in Briz also, you're welcome to check my car and see if it gives you any ideas. I've personally gone for an ST interpretation which has no tails or spoilers, but does have a slightly wider footprint.

Pretty sure you don't have to worry too much about ADR issues in Qld - So long as it's 'roadworthy' and given that we don't have yearly inspections you can get away with a fair bit. I recall that when I was copper, ADR infringements were seldom hunted... they were more of a 'fall back' for recidivist problems.

I'm sure you've worked out that good early cars are becoming harder to find and more expensive to purchase. And the really good ones you just wouldn't dream of modifying...

If you need a hand or want an extra set of eyes to look at a car, I'm happy to help.
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Thanks Guys

Re the ADR issue, I'm an authorised RWC inspector and the regs refer back to ADR's and I understand the "flexibility" in the system.

John, I saw your car at the recent PCQ show and it provided a bit more inspiration - nice. I appreciate the cost issues and hence the consideration of a LHD car.

Thanks for all tips and offers of help and given I'm stuck at a desk all day, I'm likely to chime in regularly.

Jeff
                      Jeff Eelkema
                      TYP 901 #132
                      S-Reg #1431
                      69E (project)
                      various bevel Ducatis
                      60s Vespa

Comment

I better not tell you who I work for then... think Quebec Tango I definitely respect that you've got professional obligations.

There is a 72T currently for sale in the Queensland Porsche Club's magazine... I actually looked at it 7 years ago (and nearly bought it). It hasn't changed since then either. I think he's asking somewhere in the 40s

Hope you find what you're after soon!
                        Last edited by Fishcop; 04-10-07, 08:22 PM.
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

Someone's put a bit of work into this one......

I think it came up on the board a while ago

Cam Arnott
                          Looking for engine #6208151
                          1970 911E (Sold)
                          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                          2 x Split Screen Kombis
                          TYP 901 Register # 78
                          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Hi Ryan

I note your 69E race has number plates, how is it as a road car? I would expect a bit noisy and not great at low revs, but does it cope in traffic? Given it is CAMS logbooked, would it be eligable in events like Classic Adelaide, even if it's not that competative with narrow tryes and 2 litre engine?

John and Cam

Thanks for tips, the 72T is too tidy and original to start modifying and I'd have to do a colour change as I'm not into red cars - fickle I know, but it starts to make it an expensive car. I understand he's looking at low $50k. I'm not in a mad rush and I'm sure the right car will turn up.

Cheers
                            Jeff
                            Jeff Eelkema
                            TYP 901 #132
                            S-Reg #1431
                            69E (project)
                            various bevel Ducatis
                            60s Vespa

Comment

>I note your 69E race has number plates, how is it as a road car?

pretty nice actually. Grp S requires an interior and i put the floor carpets back in between events. i designed the door bars in my cage to be removable and i have a more comfortable seat that i can easily swap in for the race seat (leather etc, matches the pass seat)

>I would expect a bit noisy and not great at low revs, but does it cope in traffic?

yep, its pretty noisy, shoots the odd flame, pops and whistles etc. traffic is fine, the motor is very tractable from idle to about 5000rpm, stumbles onto the cam a little around 5500/6000, then revs like a rocket from 6000 onwards. you can still scoot along very rapidly below 5000 without getting it on cam.

> Given it is CAMS logbooked, would it be eligable in events like Classic Adelaide,

yes, it can run in C2 (the old limited modified LMS class), possibly even C1 (standard SS class).

> even if it's not that competative with narrow tryes and 2 litre engine?

it would not be very competitive as a outright entry. however, i think it would be very competitive as a handicap entry. i could also fit bigger wheels and 225 tyres under tarmac rally rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X