TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB - Hella Fog Lights and Cibbie Hood Lights (for 1972 911T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

g’Day Legends

I have a non-original 1972 911T in viper green and I’d like to throw some fog lights on the front to spice it up for a bit for a little “rally” I’m going in next April.

I was thinking that a set of hella fog light (through the horn grills) and / or a set of hood mounted Cibbies would be super fun.

Does anyone have any spare sitting around the shed?

would love to hear from you if so?

would also love to hear from you on any other vintage lighting options you think you might look the part.

Cheers

Jono

Hi Jono,

I have some Cibie "Pallas" hood lights which were sourced from a Citreon wrecker in France years ago. These are original and the real deal. I even have the yellow globe covers which sit inside the lenses to give that real Parisien look for lights of the period.

I will dig up some pics of them and post here soon.

I beleive I have both Cibie and Marchal lenses avaiable depending on what look you are after. Lenses are interchangeable in the hood light housings. I also have several sets of spare lenses available as originals are like hens teeth. I know there are repros around but these are originals.

Prices for original sets on ebay can be high but I will look at the condition of these and price them accordingly.

regds, Phil
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Dont be limited to Hella TTG lights, plenty of options including Cibie, Marchal and Carello.
      Craig
      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
      1972 2.4E Targa project
      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
        Hi Jono,

I have some Cibie "Pallas" hood lights which were sourced from a Citreon wrecker in France years ago. These are original and the real deal. I even have the yellow globe covers which sit inside the lenses to give that real Parisien look for lights of the period.

I will dig up some pics of them and post here soon.

I beleive I have both Cibie and Marchal lenses avaiable depending on what look you are after. Lenses are interchangeable in the hood light housings. I also have several sets of spare lenses available as originals are like hens teeth. I know there are repros around but these are originals.

Prices for original sets on ebay can be high but I will look at the condition of these and price them accordingly.

regds, Phil
        Legend. Thanks, Phil! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
          Dont be limited to Hella TTG lights, plenty of options including Cibie, Marchal and Carello.
          I hadn’t really cast my net wider than the Hellas, but will check out some of those lights from the time. I used to run SEV Marchals on an old full fairing Ducati race bike and always loved them, they look great.

Comment

Sent you an email Jono
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Hi Jono,

sorry this took a while to respond to as I had to dig out the boxes where these were stored.

I have a pair of good CIBIE original hood lights, one of which is complete and assembled complete with mounting adaptor for thru hood mounting, This has the Cibie marked lens wiht teh yellow bulb surround. Its painted in grey primer and the body is in great condition. Pics below.
              The other light has all the parts to assemble it incl body, Cibie lens with yellow bulb cover, chrome ring, and mounting adaptor but with shorter studs than the other. All new screws and plastic grommets to mount lens to body included, as I had these specially made many years ago when a lot of people were restoring these lights and this stud was always rusty and the plastic grommet perished or cracked and didnt hold the lens in place securely.

I also have spare lenses marked both CIBIE and MARCHAL , many with yellow globe covers. These are interchangeable and both fit into the lamp bodies.

If anyone else is interested, I have a pair of spare lamp bodies, plus one chrome ring and plenty of lenses. You would need to find another chrome outer ring to compelte the set plus make up some mounting adaptors or just use bolts and nuts to attach to the hood. Let me know if interested and I can post more pics in a separate thread.

PRICE is $1500.00 for the complete pair delivered by courier and securely packed.

regds,
              Phil

IMG_5441.JPG IMG_5442.JPG IMG_5443.JPG IMG_5444.JPG IMG_5446.JPG IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5438.JPG IMG_5437.JPG
              Attached Files
              sigpicPhil Lack
              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

These are pics of factory mounted Cibie lights mounted to the front guards just below the headlights. With careful placement, there is clearance to open the hood because hood mounting adds extra weight to the hood which some dont like.

Of course you can mount 2 sets as per this factory rally car below.

911E factory mount.jpg 911E factory mount 02.jpg lens covers 05.jpg
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Here is an ad for the lights as an option from Porsche. DM 76.70 was cheap back then.......
                  Cibie hood light advert.jpg
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I should note the lens covers are also readily available as repros on ebay etc. wiht a variety of colours and logos.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Hi Jono,

sorry this took a while to respond to as I had to dig out the boxes where these were stored.

I have a pair of good CIBIE original hood lights, one of which is complete and assembled complete with mounting adaptor for thru hood mounting, This has the Cibie marked lens wiht teh yellow bulb surround. Its painted in grey primer and the body is in great condition. Pics below.
                      The other light has all the parts to assemble it incl body, Cibie lens with yellow bulb cover, chrome ring, and mounting adaptor but with shorter studs than the other. All new screws and plastic grommets to mount lens to body included, as I had these specially made many years ago when a lot of people were restoring these lights and this stud was always rusty and the plastic grommet perished or cracked and didnt hold the lens in place securely.

I also have spare lenses marked both CIBIE and MARCHAL , many with yellow globe covers. These are interchangeable and both fit into the lamp bodies.

If anyone else is interested, I have a pair of spare lamp bodies, plus one chrome ring and plenty of lenses. You would need to find another chrome outer ring to compelte the set plus make up some mounting adaptors or just use bolts and nuts to attach to the hood. Let me know if interested and I can post more pics in a separate thread.

PRICE is $1500.00 for the complete pair delivered by courier and securely packed.

regds,
                      Phil

IMG_5441.JPG IMG_5442.JPG IMG_5443.JPG IMG_5444.JPG IMG_5446.JPG IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5438.JPG IMG_5437.JPG
                      they looks awesome, Phil. I’ll definitely take them.

Comment

Now for the controversial questions:

(1) is it more “period” to run the cibies with the chrome ring or a colour matched ring?; and

(2) is it too “hipster” / “magnus walker” to add the yellow lens protectors? I really like that look, but it might be a bit too far for my viper green 72T…

keen for anyone’s thoughts. You guys (and girls) know are the experts!

Comment

Jono, the usual configuration is to use the chrome rings as this is how the lights came "out of the box". I have plenty of images of Porsche rally cars mainly using the chrome rings but the body of the lamp is painted same as car body colour OR matt black to avoid any reflections back into drivers eyes.

The lens covers are mainly there to avoid smashing the "very hard to replace" original lenses. You can use the Ciie branded covers in yellow or I have seen Martini covers in red/blue/white stripes. They use a rubber starp to hold them on but are also easily removeable to leaving them on when the car is parked might not be wise as they are not cheap.

Couple more pics of different cars. I have plenty more of cars from Technoclassica shows I can trawl thru. STfunrun41102607308.jpg ST-white.jpg
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

These are pics of factory mounted Cibie lights mounted to the front guards just below the headlights. With careful placement, there is clearance to open the hood because hood mounting adds extra weight to the hood which some dont like.

Of course you can mount 2 sets as per this factory rally car below.

911E factory mount.jpg 911E factory mount 02.jpg lens covers 05.jpg
                            Massive shout out to Phil! Bloody legend! Lights arrived today and they are awesome. Good man! And thanks for the offline support too. A true gentleman and a scholar.

Comment

No worries Jono, glad they arrived safely and that you are happy with them..My research into finding any drawings about mounting dimentions didnt unearth anything more that you already found wiht the pic you posted. The early S thread also discussed at length various placement options so its up to you to decide what looks best. Bea rin mind the weight of the lights now means your hood struts wont hold the hood open now and you will need an extra prop which can be a cut down broom handle !
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Working...
                              X