TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS- 1966 SWB 912 452251 Karmann coupe. Engine 741176, 901 5 speed, 5 gauge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS- 1966 SWB 912 452251 Karmann coupe. Engine 741176, 901 5 speed, 5 gauge.

Excellent complete SWB 912 project car, late 1965 built 1966 year, 452251 Karmann coupe. Engine is type 616 no.741176, 901 5 speed, 5 gauge.

I've been in possession of this car for over 20 years, majority of that time was when I was living in Melbourne, it even attended a couple of 356 parades at Como park. Please contact me for more details through private message on this board and I can supply my email address and mobile phone number.

Mechanically sorted car, the 616 engine was rebuilt in 2009 guided by Harry Pellow's awesome "Secrets of the Inner Circle" assembly "novel" and well documented with images which I can supply. Full rebuild, case align bored, a full set of case and rod bearings installed back when you could find them in the correct sizes, 1720 iron cylinders and JE forged pistons shimmed to run sensible modern 98 fuel 9.3:1 compression. Heads CC'd, new guides, springs and valves, cam specs are John Benton stump puller which is nice and torquey. Engine hardware plated or purchased new from Pelican or Will at CSP when he was around who also supplied the Burch 4 into 1 exhaust.

Cast iron 022 spins and sparks, Solex split shaft balanced rebuilt carbs supply the unleaded. All engine tin powder coated except the oil filter housing and oil can which were normal spray painted. New clutch fitted, flywheel and rotating assembly were balanced, new clutch installed. Engine is very strong and has kept a tune for the approx 4,000km since.

The 901 dogleg 5 speed box had 1st syncro replaced and shifts great. Early SWB suspension intact and has had the ball joints and turbo tie rods replaced, new wheel bearings up front, new large swing arm bearings at rear axles, brake pads all around, original steel M calipers from memory, Koni red adjustable shocks at rear, Koni red adjustable inserts in black Boge struts up front that all sit on genuine Fuchs, 265/60r15 low K rubber. Steel S spoiler and chrome/rubber bumper over-riders fitted.

Clock has stopped, no surprise there.

Interior was replaced in the 90's when it was imported and converted to RH using a RH dash when it was a requirement and is very sound, all chrome and glass is complete, floors are solid, suspension members have already been taken care off. Obviously the car needs body prep and paint but could easily be driven for a number of years yet, currently registered on NSW historic plates and driven monthly.

I'd be numb if it didn't bother me letting this car go but a different project awaits, offering this to the 901 community first if anyone's keen, before I list it on Carsales. Handful of images attached, many more on request.

$69,000

Cheers Damon Harris.

​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    ​​
    1966 Golf Blue 912

What a great early example Damon, a credit to you.

Comment

Nice car. It feels cheap in the current market, unless my 912 bias is showing.

Comment

Hi Damon
        message sent. Please can you forward your contact number.
        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by SteveS1 View Post
          Nice car. It feels cheap in the current market, unless my 912 bias is showing.
          As someone who has just rebuilt a 901 box and is doing a very similar motor, I'd agree this is priced for a quick sale...

Looks a great start for someone Damon, all the best with your sale
          Tom Laube
          Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
          VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Sale is on hold. A holding deposit is down and pending.
            1966 Golf Blue 912

Comment

Terrific.

Hopefully all goes smoothly.

Comment

Nice work Damon, so fast you can't get sellers remorse
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President
                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...