65 SOLEX reinstallation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

65 SOLEX reinstallation

I'm deep into trying to return my '65 build 911 back to SOLEX carburetors but as usual it isn't as simple as it might seem.
    First problem is that it looks like the engine cover has been changed at some stage. It fits OK with the Weber carbies but fowls on the Solex float bowl on the RH bank. My research tells me the original hasn't got the extra duct that feeds air down to the font of the RH cylinder bank.
    Does anyone have a mould off an original cover or know where I can get one, short of importing one from Tuthill's or the like in the UK?
    Next problem is the short plastic ended linkages which go from the throttle linkage to the butterfly of each individual carbie. Six in total with a thumb wheel adjustment. I have searched evrywhere without any luck.
    The other problem is these linkages are abit special as they fit a 6mm ball end and have an M5 adjusting rod. Standard linkages of this type that fit an M5 rod, have an 8mm dia ball end.
    All and any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Yours in desperation
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Not sure who is a Solex expert in Australia - or who has parts.

Maybe the O'Keefes in Melbourne ( who recently stopped trading) may have some? Bob Whyms in Sydney (BWA), or Autohaus Hamilton may have some languishing on a shelf?

Failing that - any of the UK tuners who run cars in the 2.0L Cup ( which mandates the use of Solexes). Tuthills were the first place that came to mind.

Justin Reed
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Thanks Justin, I have sent an email off to Tuthill’s in the UK and I know they’ll be able to help but I was hoping to shop locally.
      Hadn’t thought about Denis O’Keefe, I though he closed up years ago?
      I use Don Munro at DHM automotive for most of my work and I know he gets a lot of his parts from Bob Whyms, but Don didn’t think they would be able to help, but might be worth a call. I’ve already spoken with Autohaus Hamilton.
      This probably something that a keen type 901 restorer has under his shelf somewhere?

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted ….

Since 2.0L Cup started Solex demand and prices have soared. Do you have any historic racing friends from visits to Europe or the US with your 956?

Rod Emory also springs to mind . He purchased all of the inventory of San Francisco parts business Easy.

I wish you luck
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1961 356B #114700

Comment

65 parts are hens teeth try the Early S Registry and the Early 911 Registry where all the old boys with parts and knowledge hand out
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Damon@series900.com for your engine shroud
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Historika in the UK as well as Maxted Page also build plenty of 2 litre motors for FIA.
              I have a 65 on Solex's on an engine stand and I believe it is all correct. Let me know if you need pictures of anything.
              Alex Webster
              A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Hi Russ,
                I have two sets of the later ribbed solexs (I think makes them 66onwards) and the higher profile Mann air filter box- that at some point has been chrome plated?
                unfortunately one set is missing the fuel bowl & float that is mounted onto the magnesium manifold, and some other small pieces. If you happen to find someone parting out a set or with a stash of bits I’d be very interested to get in touch.

Cheers
                Brendan

Comment

Alex coul you please sned me a photo of the Fan Shroud, taken from the gearbox end. My email is russ@kempnich.com, Thanks.

I have contacted Damon at Series900 and he advised that one of his fibreglass reproduction Fan Shrouds would be approximately AUD $860, landed in Brisbnae !
                  Before I spend that sort of money I'd like to do a bit more research.
                  The search goes on.

Cheers
                  Russ

Comment

Engine cover problem solved!!!!
                    Decided to dig a little deaper and found my existing cover is the original one. Someone in it's history had decided to butcher it and add the oil cooler duct.
                    Removed the offending part and will repair the butchered hole and I'm back to original.
                    Good outcome really

Now if only I could find a solution to my Solex Caburetor linkage problem. IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?

Cheers
                    Russ
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Russ, Partsklassik used to be a go to supplier for linkage parts.

Comment

I used Partsklassik to put together the missing pieces for early mfi setup.
                        Email their sales team and ask the question regardless of what parts are shown on the site. They were good to deal with and even suggested another supplier for part they didn't stock.
                        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks guys, I have sent Partsklassik an email. Fingers crossed they can help.

Comment

Might also be worth contacting eb motorsport in the UK.

They run a 65 race car and fabricate a lot of parts, brackets etc. I listened to podcast on 9 werks radio last week and their in house fabrication abilities seem to be extensive.

Justin
                            Last edited by reedminor; 18-07-22, 08:56 PM.
                            Justin Reed
                            aka Reedminor
                            1961 356B #114700

Comment

Justin is spot on just had a look at en motorsport website and they have set of 6 replacement linkages for solex carbs 264 pounds.

Worth a call.

Comment

Working...
                              X