No announcement yet.

73rs fs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be interested to read Clydes comments on this car and its resto work.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

it is a bit of a surprise that a "perfect" car has the wrong rear cross member/ slam panel (SC) wrong horns (black) from a very quick look - and asking $2M+ for that ?????
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Here you go Phil.

Having owned 2 first series RS cars, one much more original than the other, I am reasonably placed to make comment on what is right and wrong for these cars.

My list of things wrong was at 16 thanks for those 2 adds Hugh now at 18

Not only does it have black horns Hugh but they are the wrong horns and mounted incorrectly too!!!

Here is what else I see.....

Wrong protection plate for the fuel tank.
        Shell sticker on the wrong side of the air filter housing total rookie error as described by another board member
        A first series RS had a very light coat of body deadner on the floor, I don't see any, it may be there but not visible in pics(I am advised it is there).
        Plating is wrong on the engine latch receiver.
        Gearbox mount bushes should not be plated but painted
        Sway bar mounts should be painted black not gold plated
        Missing a clip on top of the engine shroud that holds wiring in place.
        Side script Blue was always darker than the wheel blue not the same as on this car
        Wheels anodising finish is all wrong.
        Whoever put the dash pieces back on needs a spirit level.
        Engine mounts should be painted black not plated.
        Engine bay fuse cover would most likely have had knurled screws to not wingnuts
        Body deadener under the guards looks like the apprentice had a crack.
        Beading on the rear overiders curls around over the top edge...incorrectly of course.
        Missing it's factory rear 1/4 window decal readily available everywhere these days.
        Non original ducktail.

The lack of attention to detail is mind boggling.

You would think they would go to the bother of getting some correct keys cut too.

It all smacks of sloppiness, lack of knowledge or racing to finish something to me. Sure looks good in the pics though.
        Last edited by Terminator; 09-11-22, 11:30 PM.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

they can't even get the script right in the advert, 8mm steel for body panels?
          Jeff Eelkema
          TYP 901 #132
          S-Reg #1431
          69E (project)
          various bevel Ducatis
          60s Vespa

Comment

Yes Clyde, these were the sort of comments I expected to see from you with only a cursory inspection of the online pics. I am surprised your knowledge of the 911 RS was not sort out by the people who did the resto work (noted in their ad) but whom I dont beleive have the depth of knowledge and experience required to properly restore this RS. Any collector looking to spend the $2M+ they hope to get for this car will certainly be employing the sort of world-reknown RS experts to inspect and validate the car whom you know quite well, Clyde and also whom I have had the pleasure to meet.

Seeing the obvious issues that both you and Hugh immediately spotted would certianly lead you to question how well this resto was done and the knowledge of those who did the work.

Are you planning to visit the showroom to inspect the car in the metal ? Sounds like a lot of marketing hype around this car to justify the asking price and we will soon see what the market's reaction is to it is, if it actually sells and the final selling price.

Keen to hear from other members here who have actually seen it too.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I would be surprised if it achieved anything like the asking price - and if it did it would be an anomaly in the current offerings
              for example RHD M472 9113600746 (a car well known here as it was originally Joseph Wong's car in Hong Kong and Sydney) which really is an immaculate, correct, and original car with only 13,000 genuine miles on it and can genuinely be said to be one of the best in existence is currently for sale for GBP 875,000. $2M AUD is currently worth a bit over 1.1M GBP
              I cannot believe what I believe to be a significantly inferior car to 0746 (both being UK spec cars) being worth anything like 25% over 0746 - indeed I would probably suggest it is more likely worth a 25% DISCOUNT rather than a premium
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                Yes Clyde, these were the sort of comments I expected to see from you with only a cursory inspection of the online pics. I am surprised your knowledge of the 911 RS was not sort out by the people who did the resto work (noted in their ad) but whom I dont beleive have the depth of knowledge and experience required to properly restore this RS. Any collector looking to spend the $2M+ they hope to get for this car will certainly be employing the sort of world-reknown RS experts to inspect and validate the car whom you know quite well, Clyde and also whom I have had the pleasure to meet.

Seeing the obvious issues that both you and Hugh immediately spotted would certianly lead you to question how well this resto was done and the knowledge of those who did the work.

Are you planning to visit the showroom to inspect the car in the metal ? Sounds like a lot of marketing hype around this car to justify the asking price and we will soon see what the market's reaction is to it is, if it actually sells and the final selling price.

Keen to hear from other members here who have actually seen it too.
                No Phil not planning to go and see it as I don't see that as achieving anything. I am not a buyer for this car nor acting as a buyers advocate will leave looking for others. Much of the work may well be well done but the devil is always in the detail.
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                  I would be surprised if it achieved anything like the asking price - and if it did it would be an anomaly in the current offerings
                  for example RHD M472 9113600746 (a car well known here as it was originally Joseph Wong's car in Hong Kong and Sydney) which really is an immaculate, correct, and original car with only 13,000 genuine miles on it and can genuinely be said to be one of the best in existence is currently for sale for GBP 875,000. $2M AUD is currently worth a bit over 1.1M GBP
                  I cannot believe what I believe to be a significantly inferior car to 0746 (both being UK spec cars) being worth anything like 25% over 0746 - indeed I would probably suggest it is more likely worth a 25% DISCOUNT rather than a premium
                  Found this clip.
                  cracker!

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                  Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                    Remember this car when it was Sydney…. Just lovely

JR
                    Justin Reed
                    aka Reedminor
                    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                    1961 356B #114700
                    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Doubts being cast by others from overseas with more knowledge than me, on the ducktail and it's incorrect shape. Not surprising though really.
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Yes interesting to read this being discussed internationally by some obvious knowledgable RS experts. Havent checked if its made it to the DDK forum in the UK but surprised if it doesnt.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Joseph Wong 1973 RS Touring recently sold for 625000 GBP.Failed to sell at Auction.
                          Magnificent looking car.

Comment

Working...
                          X