Looking For A Gen. Drivers Manual For A 1972 911t

Welcome John,

try this list:

oops, this is meant for your "options code" thread, sorry
    Last edited by John S; 11-09-08, 02:00 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by advtracing View Post
      Looking For A Gen. Drivers Manual For A 1972 911t
      John, I was able to get a new Driver's handbook (45 pounds) and new Technical Handbook (20 pounds)for my 1970 911T from Gmund Collection in the UK.Bought them over the net with no problems and quick delivery by post. See www.gmundcollection.com

Good Luck
      Paul Miniken

Comment

They are still available new from Porsche but with the plastic spiral spine binding instead of wire. Hard to find an original one in reasonable condition. Usually very dog eared and yellowing if original.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi Phil, are you saying the original Porsche handbooks have a wire spiral bind instead of plastic? If so, do you (or anyone else) know when they stopped making the wire ones and started making the plastic ones?

I have a 1972 911T Driver's Manual which has a clear plastic spiral bind. I have had it for around 10 years. The person who gave it to me 'dug it out' of his old collection, so I assumed it was an original edition (It's in perfect condition, never been used, but does have a 'hint' of yellowing on the edges - suggesting it's pretty old). For what it is worth the numbers on the inside cover read as follows:

500 111/72

Edition 72

(Printed in Germany)

Paul - Are the ones from GMUND Collection, original issue/editions? Did the one you purchase have a wire spine?

Damian Royce

TYP 901 Foundation Member # 12
          1971 911E
          Damian Royce
          TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Clyde is the guru on these manuals so lets await his response.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by damianroyce View Post
              Hi Phil, are you saying the original Porsche handbooks have a wire spiral bind instead of plastic? If so, do you (or anyone else) know when they stopped making the wire ones and started making the plastic ones?

I have a 1972 911T Driver's Manual which has a clear plastic spiral bind. I have had it for around 10 years. The person who gave it to me 'dug it out' of his old collection, so I assumed it was an original edition (It's in perfect condition, never been used, but does have a 'hint' of yellowing on the edges - suggesting it's pretty old). For what it is worth the numbers on the inside cover read as follows:

500 111/72

Edition 72

(Printed in Germany)

Paul - Are the ones from GMUND Collection, original issue/editions? Did the one you purchase have a wire spine?

Damian Royce

1971 911E
              Damian, mine has a clear plastic spiral same as yours First page says
              TYPE 911T
              4617.20 1M 111/70 EditionVIII/69
              Printed in Germany
              The Technical Specifications Manual purchased at the same time for 69,70,71 Models for 911T, 911E,911S 1st English Edition Current as of March31, 1971(Porsche copyright quite clear)
              As far as I am aware both are Porsche originals.
              Just looked at their site Handbooks described as Porsche and in single digit numbers, T Manual now out of stock.
              Cheers
              Paul

Comment

John,
                Go to your local friendly Porsche dealer and get them to order you one for your '72 T.
                This way you will get a correct manual in RHD for your NZ market.(I am assuming here you have a NZ RHD car. )
                If you buy from overseas you will probably get a US manual.
                When I bought my '71 five years ago it had a US manual - I went to Scuds here in Sydney and they ordered a RHD manual - not expensive but correct.
                I now have 2 US and 1 AUS '71 S manuals which have subtle differences not necessarily related to the two markets.Interesting reading !
                Last week I collected two more manuals - a '68 912 and a '69 911 T - both RHD - now not cheap !

HTH
                Dennis.

Comment

Thanks for the response, Phil, Paul.

Damian Royce

1971 911E
                  Damian Royce

Comment

Dennis, Paul, (going by what Dennis is saying) I wonder if the driver's manuals GMUND are selling are the same as the ones that came with Australian delivered cars or whether they are US issue books?
                    Damian Royce

Comment

Paul,
                      Does your Gmund manual have both a LHD and a RHD dash shown on separate pages near the front ?
                      The reprints I have are clear plastic spiral binding - the earliest of which is a 356 C manual bought in June '92 (thanks Justin) and the originals have an off white metal binding.
                      HTH,

Cheers,
                      Dennis.
                      Last edited by gulf908; 16-09-08, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by damianroyce View Post
                        Dennis, Paul, (going by what Dennis is saying) I wonder if the driver's manuals GMUND are selling are the same as the ones that came with Australian delivered cars or whether they are US issue books?
                        Not likely to be Australian Delivered. They seem to be universal having illustrations for both left and right hand drive. Specs are both US and metric.

Comment

911t origin

Originally posted by gulf908 View Post
                          John,
                          Go to your local friendly Porsche dealer and get them to order you one for your '72 T.
                          This way you will get a correct manual in RHD for your NZ market.(I am assuming here you have a NZ RHD car. )
                          If you buy from overseas you will probably get a US manual.
                          When I bought my '71 five years ago it had a US manual - I went to Scuds here in Sydney and they ordered a RHD manual - not expensive but correct.
                          I now have 2 US and 1 AUS '71 S manuals which have subtle differences not necessarily related to the two markets.Interesting reading !
                          Last week I collected two more manuals - a '68 912 and a '69 911 T - both RHD - now not cheap !

HTH
                          Dennis.
                          the car is a germany delivered lhd , but i will get a standard manuel for starters and hunt in europe for a geniune one

Comment

Originally posted by advtracing View Post
                            the car is a germany delivered lhd , but i will get a standard manuel for starters and hunt in europe for a geniune one
                            John if you want a genuine one, it would have to be in German ??
                            By the way, would you like to buy some vowels, think I've got some spare a's so you can but a manual( sorry couldn't help a NZ joke)!

Comment

Here's a pic of the binding on my genuine 1973 911T manual as well as the cover page. This came from a US delivered car and I beleive US/Canadian manuals were different than ROW (English versions).

The repro manuals, of which I have purchased about 5 directly from Porsche in Germany, have the clear plastic spiral binding. I believe you can still buy them from Porsche Cars Australia - but maybe only on order.

When I visited the Essen show in 2006, Porsche Classic had a substantial amount of new, reprinted literature available plus some older original stuff (like original 356 colour sample leaflets) and some old 356 workshop manuals.

I also bought a compelte set of 911 workshop manuals for '65 - 73 cars. Of particular interest were the small workshop Tech Specs booklets which they had available for just about all Porsche models.

Some of this stuff may only be available ex Porsche Germany as often it shows up as NLA on the local Porsche agents computers.

Another good reason to visit the Essen show in April.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by e72phil; 17-09-08, 10:43 PM.
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Working...
                              X