Gear box WTB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear box WTB

I have a gearbox issue on my 72 911T. First gear is jamming. I want to either purchase a replacement box and/or parts to fix. Does anyone have parts they want to sell?

Thanks michel 0414236393

should have said 71T

Comment

Michel

Are you sure it's not a shifter, shift fork or linkage issue?
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

being further looked at next week at present seems 1st gear etc is knackered. I was offered a refreshed 901 box from a 914 new bearings, synchros and new first and reverse for 2100.00 Do you think this is good value? or ratios if std not a good mix?

Comment

Mate I'd keep your '71 box, they're are a bit stronger and the clutch actuation is different between the two.

I have a spare 1st gear but am hanging on to it! I'd put a WTB ad on Early S or Pelican, shouldn't cost you more than a couple of hundred bucks to get a good used 1st gear set. Actually if the box is coming apart I'd go for AFMSX gears or AMSXY for a taller 5th. Makes the car pull a lot better and feels like more horses!

Cheers

Cam
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Michael,

The best g/box guy in the country is Michael Newton Automotive in Windsor NSW. Give him a call. A great guy to deal with. Built all my g/boxes in my GT3's and my 901. He built Ryan's engine and does an enormous amount of work for Porsche!

Comment

yep, what tim said.

Comment

spoken with Michael thanks for the tip...once I get the oil thermostat to work reliably (sits on 250 or just above, with ambient at 32 deg), I will drive it from Canberra for him to look at.

Gearbox not too bad at present after some tentative experimentation 1st gear can be engaged with relative confidence. Have played with the linkages and it helped. New bushes would further the process, but it should be split open and fettled all the same.

So the car is a driver albeit with a few little boxes to tick off

Comment

Great news to hear it's a driver Michel, no wonder there's a smiley face at the end of your post!!

Comment

I was under the impression that first gear was an easy fix as you do not need to pull apart the box (located at the front of the box)... Its featured in the "101 jobs for your porsche" book. Good article.

Comment

Working...
                    X