Selling my 912

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling my 912

With a heavy heart I've decided to sell the 912. I'm now living across three countries & just don't have time for it......
    • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3">The car spent it's early life in Hollywood & arrived in Sydney in 1989. It's a four owner car, being two owners in USA from 1967-1989, one owner in Sydney 1989-2008 & then me since early 2008 <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3">The body was done in the early 90's by "Sheens" in Lane Cove. It had rust repairs & paint in 2-pack black. Everyone who's looked at this car comments that the body is sound <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3">The engine was rebuilt in 1989 & it's done approx 10,000km since. It's currently with Spencer Harrison who says the engine & box are in good condition & he believes it already has a big bore kit on it <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3">In Sydney it's been serviced annually by Scuderia Veloce Motors & since buying the car I've had it serviced at nineplus in Richmond & also spent approx $2,000 getting the RHD conversion updated, eg new pedal box etc
    • I have multiple sets of original fuchs / steels that I'll sell with the car depending on the price (it currently has repo fuchs)
    I did targa last year & got all excited about using the 912 but have since decided it's not a great idea & I need another project like a hole in the head !!! It's a great car for someone who has the time & inclination to invest in it. In terms of price I'm happy with somewhere between 25-28k (NEG) depending on requirements for registration (it currently has 12 month vic reg), RWC & choice of wheels.......oh & I have an inch thick of history.

I can be contacted via the forum or 0011 65 9644 0577 or matthew.read@ge.com (email is better)

Will list on carsales in a few weeks if no interest......

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
    1994 993 (road car)
    1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
    1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
    PCV #528

hey matt

sorry to see you're selling - you should give up a country or two instead!!

good luck with the sale.

Rich
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

ha ha, I'll make sure I keep a couple of sets of wheels for future projects....could be in my retirement but they're just too hard to find !!! Was harder to find the wheels than the car Cheers mate....
      Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
      1994 993 (road car)

901 #160
      PCV #528

Comment

Hey Matt - I have seen that thing at Spencers and it is damn nice - based on the info you provide i would think it is well worth your asking price.

Good Luck with it.

Chris Jensen

Comment

Just thought I'd update you guys on the 912 sale. If there is any doubt about the market for inexpensive pre 73's there shouldn't be !!! I sold the car within 12 hours of it hitting the internet for the full advertised price....I could have sold it 10 times over. I even had two people offering more than the asking price.....one guy was prepared to pay full price PLUS the deposit from the original buyer PLUS another $2000.

I'm very pleased, however, that I held firm & sold it to the first guy who put his hand up......a young guy (Reginald) who's buying his first Porsche, had to scratch together every cent he had & is over the moon with his new car. It makes selling the car a delight & I'm hoping to see him on the forum soon. He's even named the car "Steve".....ha ha

Given some of the calls I got I wish we had more enthusiasts like him !!! While I'm sad to see the car go I'm happy to see it go to him.....

Cheers
          Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
          1994 993 (road car)

901 #160
          PCV #528

Comment

Sounds good matt - 912s seem to suffer the poor brother syndrome but yours was nice - i know you mentioned an asking price - are you disclosing a selling price? - no worries if you are keeping it to yourself....

Chris

Comment

well done matt - make sure you sign him up!
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

sounds like the buyer got a 'bargain' swb car, hope it stays a 912..

Comment

Sorry Chris, I assumed people would have seen it advertised. The ask & sale price was $26,500 with RWC & 12 mth reg which I think was a fair deal for both sides. I had one guy offer $30,000 but I'd already committed to sell it....the most I've heard a 912 selling for in the past 12-18 months is $42,000 for a mint original RHD car.

My completely non statistical analysis is poor condition RHD & LHD 912's up to 20k, average RHD & excellent ex US cars mid 20's, mint RHD's 30k+, flatnose turbo look conversions......mmmm.....about $3500

Hope that helps.....
                  Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
                  1994 993 (road car)

901 #160
                  PCV #528

Comment

Yeah it helps Mat - thanks.

Data points are always good.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

This car is now on carsales and perhaps a bit cheeky hes using your photos and wants a $6500 premium,http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=126B86FF70BB

Comment

now that is cheek!!!
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

He might have easily spent that on registering road worthy and a few bits and pieces besides it appears the scraping of the funds might have got the better of him.
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Car is in Victoria still or in Canberra?

Comment

Cheeky indeed! Car is in Canberra. Still registered in Matt's name. According to current owner "he is great friends with Matt and he doesn't mind."

No additional work to the car to justify price increase excepting it is a nice car.

Comment

Working...
                              X