1970 911T ignition lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 911T ignition lock

The lock mechanism on my 911T ignition jammed recently. I have taken it out and am now using a screwdriver on the switch to start the car. Local locksmiths (Sunshine Coast ) say they cant repair it. Internet options are very expensive. Does anyone have one for sale or any other ideas?

You could wire up an ignition toggle switch and a starter button (a la race car). Otherwise just keep scouting for s/h cars getting broken up on the US websites - postage to Oz on a small item like that will be pretty cheap.

There was a change over during the 69-70 years. My 69 does not have a steering lock so to change the ignition tumbler is easy. The later cars (70?) have the ignition switch integrated with the steering lock, but I think the actual switch/electrics is the same.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

You need to make sure that what you are buying has the correct connector.

I think the change was somewhere around '69/70

Does anyone know someone that can re-key these as I have the push button setup described above and have an s/h ignition and loom ready to go...

Comment

Ed, and locksmith should be able to re-key for you. The "101" book by Dempsey covers it also I think.
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks Guy,s.My 91T is a road/race car but I would very much like to keep it as original as possible.The ignition had a steering lock but it has been ground off.From Ed,s photo the whole lock mechanism including the connector appears to be the same. Ed are you prepared to sell the lgnition lock without the door handles and wiring loom? It seems I might be able to re-key it.

Comment

If Ed's one is not available then go to the early S site and post a WTB in the for sale section. I'm sure you'll get one. Even post that it doesn't matter if the steering lock has been broken, you might just grab a bargain.

Otherwise try Zags

Good luck

Comment

Sorry Porscheaus mine isn't for sale and the pic above is one just scavenged from the early S site in the US

As Andrew said post a WTB thread over there. Thats where mine was from. Just make sure it is compatible.

Comment

Working...
              X