My old '72 911T for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old '72 911T for sale

Have just heard form the guy that bought my 72 911 T/E (2.4 MFI motor) that its now for sale.

he spent plenty on this car having Chequered Flag (Jason) do the conversion to RHD using a proper front clip, george cairns did all teh suspension, brakes and gearbox. Car is still in its original silver paint, has 2 x leather Monte Carlos fitted.

I think he is after around $60K for the car having spent at least $20K more than that on it.

Its not yet advertised anywhere but thought I would run it past the board first for any interest.

Car is located in Geelong, VIC. Here;s a pic when it was still in California a few years back.
    Attached Files
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Car is now sold - to a forum member.

Will let him post details once he is ready but let me say that he has scored an excellent car for the money with only a few oils leaks to fix.

This is a classic example of finding a car where a lot of the hard work has been done (and paid for by PO) leaving not much work to make an excellent, clean and straight early 911 to enjoy.

Sure its been converted from LHD to RHD but done very well using a '73 front clip from a RHD car. if you didnt look up the VIN records, you wouldnt know it was converted.

There will be a few envious members who are looking for cars and see this one on a future run and wish they had responded to this post. (I dont believe I had anyone ask about this car and it was never advertised for sale anywhere.)

Looking at it now makes me wish I had never sold it, or at least bought it back at not much more than I sold it for !

On top of all this, it was a factory Tourist delivery which I now find out makes it far easier to import back into germany (no sales tax) and get it registered again over there.
    Last edited by e72phil; 13-02-11, 07:22 PM.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
      Car is now sold - to a forum member.
      geez, i wonder who that could be!??
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I did have a long chat with the owner when you posted it up but had a hard time nailing him down to a price anywhere near 60K and he let me to believe engine would need attention sooner rather than later.

Comment

Apparently the oil leaks look a lot worse than they actually are.

Previous owner was a little hard to deal with but persistence paid off.
          Last edited by e72phil; 13-02-11, 09:26 PM.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Previous owner was a little hard to deal with but persistence paid off.
            I'm glad you added that, I remember thinking at the time maybe it was just me
            Last edited by e72phil; 13-02-11, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Except for the fact its now RHD
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Don't worry Clyde, maybe we can set up a sub-branch of the forum for us lefties.
                Jeff Eelkema
                TYP 901 #132
                S-Reg #1431
                69E (project)
                various bevel Ducatis
                60s Vespa

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                  Don't worry Clyde, maybe we can set up a sub-branch of the forum for us lefties.
                  I was trying to contact a supplier in Europe last week and they have the dashes we talked about for $699 now. Hope to see the dash in the flesh and the reproduction sunvisors, recaro sports seats etc etc etc at Essen in late March.

I'll see if I can sneak one back for you
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

No surprise to some but I am that forum member.

I had a plan in mind but it became clear that the 69S was not the platform for executing what I had in mind.

So I started asking, looking for a 72/73 shell in great shape, didn't care if LHD or RHD had a PPI done on a car in LA but passed.

The current owner of this car had lost interest I believe and as I had driven the car from North of San Francisco to South of LA back in 2006 I sort of knew it was a pretty good car and when Phil mentioned it after I was looking at his 73T, I followed up with the owner.

The hardest part was convincing the owner, who had spent upwards of $35k on the car converting to RHD (great job Jason) and doing mechanical and suspension work since buying it from Phil that it wasn't worth anymore than he paid for it!!!!!

The conversion took the whole front of a RHD UK car and used all the bits to transplant into this car so smugglers is correct for RHD, be hard to tell it was ever LHD when I am finished tidying up a few loose ends (changing knobs to Euro style etc etc. As the RHD dash was used the heater controls even sit up higher, not in the middle as in LHD cars a sure telltale sign of a conversion.

Luckily for me he eventually saw my point of view.

So where to with this car.

Its very, very good even better than I remembered, paint is a bit mixed but its straight, Phil paid to get all the rust out way back in 2006 (new front pan) and some major oil leaks fixed before he imported. It has a few minor issues but having just paid $250 US for a wiper motor, ignition lock glovebox lock and 2 door handles and locks with 2 sets of correct keys (bargain) most of the issues will be resolved cheaply.

Has one minor oil leak easily fixed but looks like the O ring at the front of the crankshaft is leaking so it will stay that way as that requires tearing the motor down. It drives fine so I'll put up with it. It has 4 new Konis, new brake discs and lots of suspension bushes replaced, came new with most of the S trim, front and rear sway bars, S front bar, has refurbed 6 x 15 fuchs date matching and MFI.

I had a few bits and pieces in the roof that were missing, front carpet set, couple of tools from the tool kit nothing too major and I may even install my new RHD dash as that would resolve one of the things I don't like looking at. Has a set of Phils seats not the recaro copies but still look period correct and in full leather, momo protipo wheel all orginal carpets, seats etc in back half has new carpets up front due to LHD to RHD conversion.

Door pockets all OK, original radio there, all original books, correct jack, toolkit, I need Andrew Vidler pedal boards however, want to do one for the other side as well Andrew???

So will I keep it as it is or proceed with my plan....hmmm haven't decided yet didn't plan to own a 72T/E (MFI injection) but there you go.

Here are some pics of the front area as I give it the Clyde Boyer treatment, fuel tank is next in line for a fix up a bit of matt black on the right strut tower and it will be all good, pity the guys didn't paint the new front pan silver instead of black but thats an easy fix also.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Terminator; 16-02-11, 09:18 PM.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

more pics
                      Attached Files
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

bought that engine yet??
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
                          bought that engine yet??
                          Still negotiating

Might be a shame to do it, was going to sell the T/E motor to help fund, guess its not original now anyway (RHD) so doesn't matter.

Have a couple of other local leads on new engines.
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President

Comment

As usual, Clyde has worked his toothbrush magic on this car and revealed it to be a surpriiisingly good example underneath with plenty of original features and patina.

It really is an excellent example of an unmolested car and as Clyde says, it might be a shame to separate the original engine to hotrod it.

With the additional of only a few items that Clyde had in his garage "stash", this car has come back to being an extremely clean example and I beleive would easily sell for above what he has acquired it for.

Another good example of the value of being a Forum member and getting the scoop on a car for sale that was not yet advertised to the general public.
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Clyde I managed to install the 3.2 in my car with no more modification than drilling 2, 3mm holes (to mount a PMO fuel regulator), so I wouldn't stress about dropping a new 'fun' engine into this, particularly if you are willing to keep the existing engine.
                              Paul Wischer
                              1969 911T
                              1979 Californian Moke
                              TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Working...
                              X