Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wtb Swb 911

Hi all,

I have been researching, searching and test driving for over 12 months now and thought it was time I joined this forum (rather than just watching from the shadows).

I am on the hunt for a SWB 911. Looking for a sorted car for use as a driver, no rust, not after a project. Will consider original and restored cars. My budget is limited (as I guess all budgets are), in my case up to 50k for a local vehicle (I am also looking in the USA and will need to factor in transport, tax, etc.)

If vehicle is LHD then it needs to be period correct. Registration rules for LHD vehicles in South Australia appear to be very strict. My understanding is that basically everything on the car needs to be correct for the year and model of manufacture or available as an option for that year and model. This includes body work, trim and of course the engine (displacement, induction, exhaust, etc.). Would love to hear any experience/advise in this regard.

If the vehicle is RHD then I think it is fair to say that my budget limits possibilities. I will consider conversions & non-stock alternatives providing the condition is good.

Oh and of course I have a bias when it comes to colour - preference is for gray, white, black, beige, champagne yellow, silver, most anything except the brighter colours (yellow, red tangerine, etc.).

Please let me know if you have a car looking for a new home or can give me a lead.

All assistance greatly appreciated.

Dirk
    Last edited by DJ911; 28-12-10, 11:06 PM.

Welcome to the club Dirk! You're in the right place for advice.

i'll let the experts chime in with any cars they know of...
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Welcome Dirk.

Are you ruling out the 912? I don't have any leads, but the odd nice 912 has surfaced in the past and may be a good option.
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Dirk, hope you had a good Christmas. How did your trip go to the US go? Give me a call if you like
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
          Welcome Dirk.

Are you ruling out the 912? I don't have any leads, but the odd nice 912 has surfaced in the past and may be a good option.
          John,

Really want to hear that flat 6. Preference is definitely for a 911, however having said that if there is a good example of a matching number RHD 912 out there that ticks all the other boxes and leaves me room in my budget to drop in a flat 6 for a while then I might consider it.

Could have my own 911B

Comment

How about this one?

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
            Dirk, hope you had a good Christmas. How did your trip go to the US go? Give me a call if you like
            Alex,

Tried to call... will ring again later.

Christmas was good thanks - too much food and drink - amazing how I repeat this offense every year and never learn.

Trip to the US was good for work , only got to see one interesting Porsche

All,

I would love opinions about this one:

1967 911 Sunroof, Slate Gray with red interior. This is the original colour combination according to Porsche. Looks very straight and no obvious repairs or rust (from what I could see - could not get the car on a lift). Obviously would arrange a PPI if I was going to proceed further.

And now the catch… engine not matching (2.7 from a 76), under 10,000 miles since a rebuild. Spoke to the shop who serviced the car for many years and replaced the original engine in 1996. According to him car was well looked after and highly prized by the owner.

Car is now in the hands of someone looking to make some money on a cosmetic makeover. Vehicle has been (cheaply?) resprayed, panels were removed, and door trim and seats have been reupholstered (as the previous owner dyed them black).

I am currently getting a price for having the current engine swapped with a freshly rebuilt (from a reputable shop) period correct 2.0 so the car could be registered in SA.

So looking for some feedback:

What would this car (straight, non numbers matching, 67 sunroof, rust free) be worth in Australia? Not looking to make money, just don't want to end up over invested.

And can any of you learned folks spot any issues from the attached photos (e.g. should I be concerned about the bubbling on the door - circled in the photo) and also any non original items (engine aside of course)?

Thanks in advance.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dirk

Welcome aboard. I don't know about the value here but bubbles under newish paint always worries me. Hard to tell if they are rust or humidity bubbles. It is an area prone to rust so what else is the shiny paint hiding? I generally prefer a car that has years on the paint so you don't get any nasty surprises. If the bubbles are humidity they will get worse whenever the air gets moist. Normally happens when painters don't use a booth or a good water trap on the compressor.

re: engine, it looks close enough to be period correct. How are the authorities going to tell what size it is? Start the paper trail from the US stating that it is a 2.0 litre and no-one here would question it.
              Jeff Eelkema
              TYP 901 #132
              S-Reg #1431
              69E (project)
              various bevel Ducatis
              60s Vespa

Comment

Thanks Jeff,

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                Hard to tell if they are rust or humidity bubbles. It is an area prone to rust so what else is the shiny paint hiding? I generally prefer a car that has years on the paint so you don't get any nasty surprises. If the bubbles are humidity they will get worse whenever the air gets moist. Normally happens when painters don't use a booth or a good water trap on the compressor.
                Yeah.... that was my concern too.

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                re: engine, it looks close enough to be period correct. How are the authorities going to tell what size it is? Start the paper trail from the US stating that it is a 2.0 litre and no-one here would question it.
                If anyone has some experience with this in South Australia I would love to hear. What kind of checks will they do? Will they rely on paper work or will they cross reference the engine number?

Comment

Where are you Mr Ex President, on the water in the bloody big boat I suspect he has an Aussie delivered 1968S that you may want to talk to him about as I am sure its for sale
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President
                  Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                    Where are you Mr Ex President, on the water in the bloody big boat I suspect he has an Aussie delivered 1968S that you may want to talk to him about as I am sure its for sale
                    Clyde,

I assume your ex president remark is in reference to Phil.

I spoke with him last week and as much as I would love to own an Aussie delivered 68S, my budget somewhat precludes me from that exclusive club.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Dirk,

You should touch base with Mark Poole if you are in SA

He has plenty of experience registering converted and LHD cars in SA.

He may have some leads on a SWB car too...

Regards,

Ed

Comment

Hi Ed,

Have tried to make contact with Mark... currently overseas on Holiday.

Thanks for the lead.

Regards,

Dirk

Comment

Really... no opinions on value (or otherwise) of this non matching # (slightly bastardised) 67 911? http://www.typ901.org/showpost.php?p=29120&postcount=6

Let loose I am not easily offended (and besides I am only considering the car - I don't own it)

Comment

ok, i'll bite.

non-matching
                            body (maybe paint not rust) needs some attention
                            harder to find swb
                            cool colour combo

let's say $40k-$45k assuming it's aussie delivered?

plus whatever you spend on the 2.0L engine...

better buying in the USA... ask clyde!!
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

something like this maybe (although now not for sale...)?

1966 SWB coupe in beautiful Polo Red. Mod list is very extensive, please PM me for more information. Asking 35k http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7034/img0976lp.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5041/img0978w.jpg
                              Richard Griffiths
                              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                              X