WTB. DS door for 1970 911T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB. DS door for 1970 911T

I am new to this forum and its been a great source of information. Thanks...

I am chasing a drivers door for my 1970T restoration, mine is badly rusted in the botom half of the door and has been repaired at least twice before by the look of it.. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to source a good door without rust? Can it be sourced locally or is overseas the only option?

I have been able to source a later model door locally which I understand will fit but I believe apart from being Galvanised wich is a plus (although the rest of the car isn't) the dimple for the interior light and the mirror holes are wrong... which I could change but I would rather source an original door if it is still posiable as I am trying to keep the restoration as close to original as possible?

thanks.

Old doors have probably sufferd the same fate. I have used newer G series doors on older 901's and you really need to be a "Clyde" to pick the difference. Wouldnt a galvanised door make more sense for the long run ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I'm with Phil. My resto included a later driver side door - I totally respect your preference for original, but for me the cost of trying to source a rust free one just wasn't worth it. There is very little difference in real terms.
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Rob
        as they say above, it is much better to go with the later door. they are almost indistinguishable from the early ones up until the 964 doors.
        apart from being galvanized one advantage of the later doors is that they have the side intrusion bar as well - not original, and a bit heavier, but nice to have if you are unlucky enough to get hit in the side
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks for your replies I am learning as I go with this restoration and I wasn't sure which way to go... sounds like the late model door might be the best option.

Does $1200 sound right for a late model door?

Comment

Should be able to get one cheaper than that. Where have you been looking ?

I remember paying abut $700 ea a few years back, but havent bought one lately.

Aporchapart are one of our Forum sponsors, have you tried them ?
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

it was Aporchapart that qouted me that...

Comment

Ahh to live in California... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...911-doors.html

Comment

Evilbay has had a few locally (AU), $250-500.

No disrespect to our sponsors...
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                  X