WTB Swb 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB Swb 911

Still lamenting missing out on the carsales ’68, I thought I may as well try my luck with a ‘wanted’ ad here to see what’s out there. I am looking for a SWB 911. Preference is for a sorted car with no rust, however I will entertain project cars as long as they are largely complete. Looking for the car to be as original as possible (tombstone seats, flares and whale tails just don’t do it for me on a SWB for some strange reason….). My budget is somewhat limited at $40k to $45k for a sorted, largely original car. Will consider both LHD and RHD, but obviously LHD condition would need to be reflected in the price relative to a RHD equivalent.

My preference is for a 1967 911, but will consider ’66 or ‘68. Not after a targa. In my wish list, I might as well include colour preference. I have a bias for gray, black, ivory, silver, but I acknowledge that, with my budget, I can’t be too fussy.

I know I could source something from the US, but thought I’d see what’s on offer locally as in all honesty, my preference is for a RHD model (good RHD conversions considered).

Please let me know via PM or email if you have a car looking for a new home or can give me a lead.

Cheers
    Cam

Gotta be a 911, or would you look at a 912?

I don't have any leads, but it's nice to know should I spot something
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Yes, a 911. My compromise on a SWB 911 would be a '69-'71 911 before I went for a 912....but I am not ready to make that compromise yet.

Comment

Cam,

we had this discussion before with Dirk from S.A. I believe he had a similar budget and realised that finding a good SWB 911 in the condition you suggested, is not possible. We now know he ended up with a 71T with the 3.0 engine. I believe the recent car you missed out on was indeed a rarity but I would love to know what they are finding out about teh car now that they own it. If it was undriven for such a long time, there will be plenty of "issues".

There is another thread here that links to a 67S for sale on the early S registry forum and he is asking high $90's and sticking to it. I also noted another thread in the for Sale section of a correct SWB tool kit for US$ 3250 or thereabouts. This should give you some indication of the rarity of SWB stuff.

Good luck in the hunt. Many say this is one of the best experiences of owning an early 911.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

if this had its original engine/gearbox and wasn't too messed around with, could be an interesting base to get the body back to original...?

another option anyway...
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich I believe there is something funny with the VIN on the car in your link. I believe it now sports the VIN of one of the factory '73 RSR's.......I talked to the guy about 6 months ago

I imagine the dash stamp would reveal all.
            Cam Arnott
            Looking for engine #6208151
            1970 911E (Sold)
            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
            2 x Split Screen Kombis
            TYP 901 Register # 78
            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Nevada Cam, now that I am in the final throws of restoring my '69, I have become a total zealot for corrosion free 911 motoring... What I mean is that these cars are now well and truly vintage cars and finding the most rust free car you can is the name of the game for long term and enjoyable motoring.

In my honest and humble opinion, a sound 'T' is a better long term buy than a rusty 'S' if you just want to drive and enjoy an icon. No disrespect to the guys here working hard on their "esses".

For your budget and if you're adamant on a SWB, I would not hesitate to look to the US where such sound chassis still exsist and at a reasonable price. The 911 is a small car and driving it from the left is not a huge challenge. I believe your budget could cover a trip to the States and shipping back here and still leave enough change for a Sunday latte.

There's no reason you may not stumble across another gem here in Oz; but you'd be relying on too much luck before you're behind the wheel
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...eot=1&__N=1216 1282 4294963765&silo=1011

no affiliaiton does this fit the bill? Who if anyone on the forum has viewed this car

Comment

Thanks guys, I followed Dirk's thread and my eyes are wide open on expectations. I've been looking more on the US sites for a car as I know my budget is somewhat restrictive from an Aussie market perspective. I have owned a LHD 356 so I'm not new to the LHD thing and I therefore agree that, while not ideal, driving from the left is not a huge challenge.

Rich, I had seen that black one, but it would need to be priced in the teens to be a viable option in my view, but I wasn't aware of the VIN issue.

The 68 on carsales was a bargain in my view (yes, it would definitely have had mechanical issues, however I now understand that wouldn't have necessarily entailed an engine rebuild), and Dirk was offered a RHD SWB in his thread within his budget, so they're out there. There's been very few SWB's - within my budget or otherwise - hit the public market in the last 12 months or so. Where are they all??

I have a good lead on a 67S in the US for "high 20's". Solid body-wise, mechanically sound (S engine out of a '69), missing 4.5 inch Fuchs (as most seem to be, but that's about the only S-spec thing missing), very old respray in non-original colour and a tired interior with seats out of what appears to be a 68 or 69. Doing the sums on it, I'd have around $45k in it, landed with a mostly new interior and minor mechanical issues sorted, but no Fuchs and an ordinary paint job. Food for thought I guess.

Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,

I agree with the others that you will be very lucky to find a RHD SWB in the condition you are after, for the budget you have. Having said that, there are those finds out there!

I consider myself lucky to have found my SWB for a not dissimilar initial budgetary outlay, but the interior and exterior were in what would be classed as very 'tired' condition. Subsequently it has undergone a bare metal respray with essentially a new interior (which as all will vouch is not cheap and somewhat of a slippery slope!) I hope to have mine finished by the end of this month, and will post a full catalogue of photos from start to finish then.

As Phil and others have mentioned before in other Threads, sometimes it is better to save and have a bigger budget and thus buy a sorted and completed car, than buy one not sorted and have to undertake expected and unexpected costs along the way. An imported LHD may be a different proposition for you though...

I, too, believe half the fun is in the hunt!

Cheers
                    Craig Sedgman
                    914/6 GT Clone Project
                    996 C2.1

Comment

Cam

are you after matching numbers? or not such an issue for you? cost will follow accordlingly of course...

Rich
                      Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich, matching numbers is definitely not even a consideration with my budget. I know I am asking a lot for my $ without including that in the equation.

Comment

Hi
                          I've been on the look out for around 12 months. Luckily I do enjoy the hunt as well . My pref is a 2.2 in original spec (don't really want to pay for mods I'm not looking for) but getting less fussy as time goes on !

On another note saw a nice white 73 E while riding around kooyong yesterday. Rego 911073. Anyone on the forum ? Had early s registery sticker

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickjames View Post
                            Hi
                            I've been on the look out for around 12 months. Luckily I do enjoy the hunt as well . My pref is a 2.2 in original spec (don't really want to pay for mods I'm not looking for) but getting less fussy as time goes on !

On another note saw a nice white 73 E while riding around kooyong yesterday. Rego 911073. Anyone on the forum ? Had early s registery sticker

Nick
                            Nick you in the LWB category it seems that car belongs to Hugh Hodges, undergone lots of work to maintain and improve, as its his daily driver. Its a lovely car.
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President
                            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Seems to be a distinct lack of SWB's for sale. Still looking. I am leaning towards RHD original or otherwise, so that probably puts me in 912 conversion and, dare I say it, LWB territory. An original RHD 912 with a 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4 (and 5sp) in it would be ok. However a LHD-RHD conversion 912 with a 6 cyl still seems like too large a compromise for my liking.

As a matter of interest, does anyone have any stats on the numbers of SWB's originally delivered to Australia, and those that still survive?

Cam

Comment

Working...
                              X