Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

project 911?

located in NZ but is an affordable (UK delivered) RHD E

I think John Gausden in NZ had a look and thought it needed a fair bit of work.
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
      but a very rare car in original RHD
      Craig
      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
      1972 2.4E Targa project
      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

How come "rare" is that because it is an E or because its a Targa E?

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
          How come "rare" is that because it is an E or because its a Targa E?
          901 series Targas were only made in RHD for MY 72/3... the fact that it's an E is probably a bonus.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
            901 series Targas were only made in RHD for 72/3
            john,

i think '901' targa are '73 only in RHD?
            Craig
            1972 2.4E Targa project

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
              john,

i think '901' targa are '73 only in RHD?
              nope, should have checked the book first '72/73...
              Craig
              1972 2.4E Targa project

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
                nope, should have checked the book first '72/73...
                Craig

not sure which book you looked at but my understanding was that RHD targas were only done in the F series - ie 73 model year but of course some of those were made in the 72 calendar year. My understanding is that the first announcement that a RHD targa was going to be produced was at the 1972 London motor show

I don't believe there are any RHD E series targas - (ie with oil door)

my information is that 77 RHD E targas were delivered to the UK and 20 to Australia (8 manual and 12 sporto) Of course there would have also been a few other RHD ones (HK, South africa and maybe a couple of other places) but the total would not be much over 100 cars

for the RHD S targa in F series Australia got 6 - 4 manual and 2 sporto and the UK got 47.
                for the T Targa Australia got 11: 2 4sp manual, 4 5 sp manual and 5 sporto. I don't have records of the UK deliveries
                Hugh Hodges
                1973 E
                Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks guys, I did a bit of subsequent research, before coming back to check replies and the sources I saw mentioned being able to order targas during 1972 for 1973 delivery which Hugh suggests was the case. The car in question looks like it could be a backdate to me just going on guards and some trim
                  Last edited by 9er; 10-11-11, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post

Perhaps not a backdate just some later door panels and steel RS rear flares if the comments below appply to this car. Price was being suggested as 14K NZD then

..."its really not to bad,a few scabs here and there a few poor repairs on the floor,but they would go through a warrent ok, rs steel rear flares fitted,16x8,16x6 rims,car was running a few years back,had it turning over,but need to rebuild carbs,brake pedal drops to the floor,suspected master cylinder,i should spend the time on it and make it into a good hack around,but i suspect i just wont get the time,especially with the other new project,see how it goes if someone is interested as is,or i will brake,might try tm first though

dont think we will brake this car,its just to good,spent half a day on it and it fired right up sounds real strong and no funny noises,will keep doing work on it until it either sells or gets a warrent and put on tm,going to do brakes next"...

Comment

Nobody has mentioned its running carbs, and Zeniths to boot. it has the green engine shroud but no MFI. So is it really an "E" and what happened to the MFI ?
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I like this car a face value - if it was here and <$30k then it would be more attractive.

A side from the relative 'rarety' of a RHD targa, providing it is basically sound, it can all be recovered over time, and you'd have a genuine RHD 901. I guess living here in Brisbane/QLD makes me view the targa body an attractive Sunday driver option...

As Phil will attest, the "money" in any of these cars has to be investing in a solid chassis (minor rust repairs are par for course though). To my mind you can collect the MFI parts to make it right and keep in running happily on webers/zeniths. Incorrect body components can be collected/made/found over time and pretty much everything else is cosmetic.
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

According to the Red Book, this car has a non numbers matching engine. While it is an "E" engine, it is originally from a coupe.

Strange then that, as stated by the vendor, the Porsche CoA would confirm it as a numbers matching car. Someone has made a mistake here...

Comment

This car has more than just minor rust repairs to be undertaken. Engine also smokes rather badly and there is little original about the interior. To restore this properly with MFI and sports seats I would have thought you'd be over capitalizing pretty quickly.
                            Paul Wischer
                            1969 911T
                            1979 Californian Moke
                            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Hugh is correct as always only 73 model year for RHD Targas
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X