2.2T FS - not mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.2T FS - not mine

This car has been for sale for a while... anyone looked at it? Thoughts on why it hasn't moved?

that car either still does, or used to belong to a club member. Has been fr sale for a while and not sure whats wrong with it causing it to sit unsold for so long. maybe other know ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

This car is/was indeed owned by a fellow club member. He purchased the car from a private seller in Melbourne a couple of years ago (roughly). We did the PPI for him. This was his first Porsche purchase and as such this car provided a great entry level to the early 911 experience.

He has a lot of history to accompany the car. George Cairns maintained this vehicle for the previous owner for many years. George rebuilt/refurbished/repaired this engine several years ago (confirm this with the owner please) using parts supplied by his customer. These parts included a s/h set of barrels and pistons which according to George were in good nic at the time. Since the engine rebuild/repair/refurbish it has always suffered piston slap from cold. The buyer knew this as it was fully disclosed to him. From memory the car has a 2.0L engine; can't remember the specs but I do remember that when we did the PPI it pulled well. Piston slap is an annoyance - it is not a terminal problem.

Unfortunately, the car has been given a poor bill of health by one repairer in Sydney. From what I understand from a conversation a few months ago, another Sydney repairer does not agree either. Bear in mind that we have not seen the car since it left here, but according to the owner it has not developed any new "noises". The Sydney repairer has diagnosed a possible bottom end noise. If this is the same noise that we heard from cold then I'm afraid I disagree with the diagnosis. If this car is in the same condition (or better) than when we last saw it then we would consider it is suffering an unfair reputation. The rumour mill has been turning wildly about this car. I think that is unfair.

This car is not a perfect example. It has the wrong engine for the model and several other flaws. It is however tidy and well presented for what it is. It is also under $30,000. The one PPI that was done on this car several months ago has been circulated among several people, thus scaring buyers away unjustly. It's a nice driver - nothing less, nothing more and is priced accordingly.

First time buyers on a budget should have this car inspected by another source. Repairers are not infallible; we're human like the rest of you and therefore can make mistakes. If this car has been cared for by its present owner as I have been led to believe then I would have no hesitation suggesting that prospective purchasers take a serious look at it. And no, I will not disclose anything further about the Sydney repairer in question, so please do not ask. Any questions should be directed to the owner through the seller as listed.

Lisa Gregory

Comment

I had a look at the car about 9 or 12 months ago.

I didn't have it inspected but was pretty impressed by its overall condition.

The reason I didn't buy it was that it didn't have the original engine and it was a 2.0 rather than a 2.2. Other than that it seemed to go pretty hard, I think it was running 'S' cams with Webers.

He was asking about $34 or $36K at that point and I was keen to get a matching numbers car that possibly had some track modifications. It was garaged and the owner seemed to be quite meticulous with the car. He explained that when he bought it he had looked around for quite a while before he bought that one.

I doubt it would have gone backwards in condition under his ownership He had plenty of receipts to show me. I think its a good entry level car and well worth an inspection. Don't believe everything you hear.
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
        X