Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: rear chassis rails and shock towers

Hi,

new poster here. I recently acquired a 1971 911T. I have just finished a full strip down in prep for a complete restore up to S/T spec. I have found some crash damage in the rear which wasn't found before the car was imported. there is a depression in the RH inner guard in the shape of a wheel rim just opposite the shock tower cross member into the chassis rail. This impact has caused everything rear of the shock tower cross member to move slightly to the right, there is a kink on the inner LH chassis rail where the cross member has depressed into it and a seem has been popped on the RH side just next to the cross member. The damage sounds significant but has only moved about 15-20mm but it is enough to compromise the structure and alignment at the back of the car, I do believe its fixable.

As a result of this I am now chasing a rear clip from the shock tower cross member rearwards. i only need the two chassis rails and the cross member.
    Is there anybody out there that could help me, even if someone could provide the chassis rails in sections for me to cut up and I can get the cross member else where this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dylan

Welcome Dylan,

An undertaking. Have you contacted John Gausden ,st classic? John is selling off his s/t project. Located in nz.

Cheers michel

new poster here. I recently acquired a 1971 911T. I have just finished a full strip down in prep for a complete restore up to S/T spec. I have found some crash damage in the rear which wasn't found before the car was imported. there is a depression in the RH inner guard in the shape of a wheel rim just opposite the shock tower cross member into the chassis rail. This impact has caused everything rear of the shock tower cross member to move slightly to the right, there is a kink on the inner LH chassis rail where the cross member has depressed into it and a seem has been popped on the RH side just next to the cross member. The damage sounds significant but has only moved about 15-20mm but it is enough to compromise the structure and alignment at the back of the car, I do believe its fixable.

As a result of this I am now chasing a rear clip from the shock tower cross member rearwards. i only need the two chassis rails and the cross member.
    Is there anybody out there that could help me, even if someone could provide the chassis rails in sections for me to cut up and I can get the cross member else where this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dylan[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hello Dylan,
      Have you had someone in the automotive repair industry with a decent car bench/measuring system make an assessment on the damage? In some cases they can actually repair the damage with no or minimal replacement of parts.
      Sean.
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post
        Hello Dylan,
        Have you had someone in the automotive repair industry with a decent car bench/measuring system make an assessment on the damage? In some cases they can actually repair the damage with no or minimal replacement of parts.
        Sean.
        That was my next step. I'm in sydney and not too far from some well known porsche repair and restorers. I intend to take some good high res photos down to them so they can get an idea of what is required and even get a rough quote before i commit to the exercise of moving the shell.
        i would also like to fix it myself in the interests of cost as well as i think it would be fun.

Comment

i'm no expert, but sounds like your car needs to be put on a jig to get it straight?

maybe a phonecall/email to one of our sponsors might be in order (Chequered Flag and Road & Track in Melbourne or Exclusive Body Werks in Sydney)?
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Hi Dylan

I've still got the cross member stashed for you if you still need it. "Timp" on the board here is heading down to Sydney in a few weeks doing 'porsche stuff' and I can possibly get him to throw it in his ute.
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
              Hi Dylan

I've still got the cross member stashed for you if you still need it. "Timp" on the board here is heading down to Sydney in a few weeks doing 'porsche stuff' and I can possibly get him to throw it in his ute.
              I'd appreciate that. If you could ask him for me that would be great and I'll send him a pm to find out when he's coming down.

Your right griffiths, i would like to get it on a jig. i just want to get everything I need and do as much as i can first before i take it some where. The car has also needs a new suspension pan so i want to get that checked by a jig once replaced.

Comment

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow for everyone to see.

Comment

Dylan,

I have to be in Sydney around 7 December. I will be driving a ute down. I'm happy to bring what you need down. I will be in Dural working on my race cars. You will probably need to come to me as I wont have much time while I'm there.

I would contact Ron Goodman at exclusive Bodywerks. He is the best in Sydney. If you want to do it on more of a budget, lots of guys use Zags and are all very happy with their work.

Comment

Best to fit the suspension pan while on the jig if you go down that path.Cant get it wrong then.
                    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Here are the pics. All looks straight to the eye until I looked closer and found the following. A few measurement showed it was slightly out as well.
                      I think the car has suffered from the 911's most common fault of trying to throw itself backwards into the scenery.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dylan

Can you please give myself or Tim P a shout. Your rear x-member was dropped off in Sydney.

Cheers
                        John
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                        X