WTB: 911 distributor for 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: 911 distributor for 2.2

Anyone have one these sitting around or know where I could find one.
    Thanks.
    Kris.

Do you know the model number. I have a spare but am not sure which engine it is for?

Comment

Not sure of part number for the correct distributor but my
      engine number is 6100769
      typ no. 911/03.
      What type of distributor is it. bosch, marelli. Do you know the serial number.
      Thanks.
      Kris.

Comment

Just did some research, I think the type of distributor I need is a,
        Bosch : 231 159 008
        or : 231 159 006

Comment

I think I heard that marelli caps and rotors (previously NLA) are now being reproduced. So that should open your options up.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Here's what I have. Let me know if any of this is of interest and I will take some more detailed shots.

Cheers

Comment

How much do you want for them.
              I think the Bosch 231 184 001 is from a 2.7
              and the Marelli S112AX is from a 69' or 70't which should be better suited now that parts are avalible for them.
              Anyone please chime in if you think this is the way to go.
              Thanks.
              Kris.

Comment

If you can confirm that the Marelli cap and rotor are available then that one will need the least work. It will bolt right on and probably not need graphing. Though I recommend getting your original distributors re-graphed regardless as fuel has changed since the early 70's. The result is that most distributors are about 10º off optimum. Performance Ignitions in Melbourne know what they are doing.

The Bosch shown above will not fit your 2.2 engine case (too large a diameter) without turning it down on a lathe (which at the same time you'd mill off the later model's lug/ear to look more like the original Bosch.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Just out of curiosity, would you say most early 70's distributors are 10 degrees to advanced or 10 degrees to retarded.

Comment

Generally retarded, but the 10º is a variable throughout the distributor and engine profile. You still strive for about 35º at WOT (wide open throttle), but it's the advance curve that needs to be adjusted to optimise the engine spark throughout the rev range. You should always get a distributor re-graphed when you build an engine that varies from its factory spec (compression ratio/cams/fuel delivery).

Your engine does not run retard, only centrifugal advance (weights in the distributor). Later engines had vacuum retard for emissions compliance.
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Kris,

I will take some more detailed shots of the Marelli, cap & rotor tomorrow and also try and find some sales history online to find a fair price point.

Cheers
                      Dirk

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks.

Comment

Here are some more detailed picks.. If you shot me a PM with your email I can send you high res images. Struggling with a price as my online search yielded huge variances. Give me a little time to try and work out the reasons behind the difference in asking price.

Comment

Comment

yeah, if seen some big price differences. from 100 bucks to $550. but I don't mind if you be a friend and give it to me for cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X