Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front lenses and grills

Hi,
    Does anyone have silver edged front lenses and chrome / silver grills for sale?
    If not where is the best place to source please?
    Ideally wanting to buy and fit before Thursdays run to Rennsport.
    Cheers, Luke

Luke, there is a set of chrome grills advertised on the PCNSW site in"parts for sale" $50

Cheers

Paul M

Comment

I bought 2 sets of chrome grills from the us recently. I haven't opened the box to see there condition.

I can open it up if you like

Comment

I'll be interested to hear you opinion Tim. I've read that the repros aren't as perfect a fit as originals.

I've got originals that I was going to get restored, but research indicates I'll be either out of pocket or disappointed. A tip I have had is that the later and cheap black plastic versions (which fit perfectly) can be chromed using later technology and come up looking really good.
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

The two I bought a second hand and I have black plastic ones. Kind of covred all bases!

Comment

Hi, I purchased some silver lenses and then after fitting them I decided I prefer the look of black grills and black lenses on my white car.
            So now I've ordered some new ones in black just to freshen the look
            Thanks though - Luke

Comment

My car came with a box of spares to bring it back to original. It included new chrome grills to replace the black painted originals on the car. When I went to fit the repos they were really bad. The bottom dimension was over 5mm longer. In the end I paint stripped the existing and polished up the chrome a little. Not concurs but so much better than repo. I'm not sure where they were from, but all the rest of the box had Stoddard packaging.

Comment

Yep. That's what I'd heard about the repros.

The problem with grills is that they are pot metal and not brass like the earliest cars. Die cast stuff is notoriously porous and subject to pitting.

There is a bloke called "the die cast wizard" up here, but when you add up the hours of really fiddly work it's big $$ with no guarantee of longevity.

Plastic grills can now be treated to take a current and be electroplated. You'd all have seen "plastic chrome" in your travels? It can be made to look very good. Pretty robust and not subject to corrosion.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Purchased a set of chrome grills from Eric Linden last year and fitted perfectly. He also supplies the rubber seal as part of the deal.

Comment

Eric's are perfect for the SWB cars... The 69> grills are different.
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

thought so.

but for SWB a perfect fit

Comment

Working...
                      X