Intro/WTB a 901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro/WTB a 901

Hey guys just a quick intro, I'm Niel, your newest member.

Ive been an observer for a while and have been through a large chunk of the threads. Seems like an great little community you have here!

I'm also in the market for my first Porsche. After restoring a car about 10 years ago I can appreciate the value of starting on a solid platform.
    I know in the current market you cant be too picky, but I am ideally after a SWB 911 or 912 with matching numbers. In a perfect world, an early 901 in slate grey

If anything comes up, im all ears.

Welcome aboard Niel.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

Welcome Niel, this is a great place to find a car. Cars come up here from time to time that don't even make the traditional internet sites such as carsales, and from typ 901 members, that really know this breed. Good luck with the search.
      Kane Kennedy
      Typ 901 Register #204
      71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Niel,

A big welcome from the 901'ers. We come from all walks of life & parts of the globe but have one thing in common.....an almost unreasonable love for all things early Porsche !! You will find lots of valuable advice, contacts & pre-market cars from within the group....

Good luck....
        Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
        1994 993 (road car)
        1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
        1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
        PCV #528

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Read View Post
          Niel,

A big welcome from the 901'ers. We come from all walks of life & parts of the globe but have one thing in common.....an almost unreasonable love for all things early Porsche !! You will find lots of valuable advice, contacts & pre-market cars from within the group....

Good luck....
          I know what you mean, I have become somewhat obsessed with early porsches of late.

Matt, I think you pulled the pin just before me on your last purchase. I must say, I am slightly jealous but I've convinced myself that there is something out there even more suited to my needs haha

Comment

Welcome Niel.

Comment

What's your budget Niel ?
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Be careful Niel, these very bad men will spend all your money.

Comment

Welcome Niel.

Do you have a broad brief on what you're chasing? The anoraks here love to discuss colour, numbers, what side you drive it from, and who bolted on or removed stuff
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                      Welcome Niel.

Do you have a broad brief on what you're chasing? The anoraks here love to discuss colour, numbers, what side you drive it from, and who bolted on or removed stuff
                      So I'm relatively open to what's out there but I have a few ideals.
                      Roughly in order of preference.
                      - no major rust issues (I've read your thread John, enough to scare me haha)
                      - matching engine and chassis numbers
                      - SWB
                      - Slate Grey, any other non bright colour i.e. Burgundy (not too fussed if its the original colour or not but needs to be a period correct porsche colour)
                      - largely original
                      - RHD but would definitely take a LHD over a bad conversion
                      - doesn't have to be an Aussie delivered car

Given my limited skills and being my first porsche, I don't want something that I have to work on too much. I'm sure a project type car will come down the track.

Budget is up to 75K, given the right car

Comment

not sure if it's still for sale, but for that money this is what i'd be buying:
                        The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.

(that said, it isn't slate grey or SWB!!!)
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Sensible ideals list, however, very small pool, the SWB for sale.
                          I know it shouldn't be the case but there is plenty of restamping going on as the price of these cars increases, a "matching numbers" car without history should always be viewed with suspicion. Hard to verify what the correct engine number should be, in a particular chassis, particularly if you have to make a decision quickly and its not a locally delivered car.
                          Personally I am more concerned that the stamped production number corresponds the chassis number (not necessarily sequential) and probably less about the engine, as long as the engine is the correct type, many more engines than chassis were produced and these were swapped out legitimately for various reasons over the years.
                          Working my way through an Australian delivered SWB as we speak, rust will be an issue and its likely that if it has been repaired correctly price will reflect.
                          If you cast you net wider (LWB) I know Phil has a couple of cars for sale that would fit your ideals list.

Comment

P.S. I forgot about Johns car which is very close to your top dollar but clearly an amazing car in a rare colour http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4308

Comment

Has to be a coupe, or are you okay with targas?

The truth is that cars change hands regularly, you just need a finger on the pulse and be ready to jump decisively. I ask you your thoughts as when I first got into an old 911 they were plentyful and they were cheap. Now things have changed dramatically and you kinda need a 'purchase plan', a stash of cash, and be ready to act

Hugh H can probably tell you if there were any slate grey RHD/Aussie SWB cars delivered... my gut says there won't be many at all!
                              John Forcier
                              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                              Restoration Saga
                              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                              X