Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and some advice please ...

Hi all

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask the forum for some advice.

I moved from Melbourne to Perth earlier this year and (finally) have a house with a garage which puts me in a position to purchase a classic Porsche. My initial thoughts were a 1965-1969 original (matching numbers, colour and COA if possible) RHD Australian delivered 911 however with my budget of $30K this isn’t going to happen. I then turned my search to 912’s and I think the budget is right though have only seen one car this year that fits this criteria.

So, the options as I see it are to wait, or to look elsewhere. The elsewhere option, from what I can see, means the US which means LHD and the more I think this through the less an issue this is as my preference is originality.

Does the forum have experience importing from the US? Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of in buying or importing back in to Oz? As I would basically be buying blind are there buying agents that can be used? Any recommendations for companies that you have used?

I would also really appreciate meeting any Perth members.

Thanks all
    Adam

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
    My initial thoughts were a 1965-1969 original (matching numbers, colour and COA if possible) RHD Australian delivered 911 ... budget of $30K

Come on Phil!!!

but seriously, I think you would struggle to find a car in decent condition for $30k (after costs and shipping to WA) unless it was either a 912 or it was LHD... if it was me, I'd easily take a LHD original car over a RHD bastard (not sure what it means that I am driving round in a bastard, but hey).

I'm assuming you want decent condition? shouldn't be hard to find a 'project' for that sort of money...

you're definitely in the right place... it just might take a while to find the right car.

others can comment on importing... my feeling is it's harder than it looks (and with a lot more risk).

Cheers

Rich
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

oh, and welcome to the club Adam!!
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately, you are a few years too late with a $30K budget.

The current problem in finding a "good original" early 911 or 912 is that the stock has been picked over many times by the european buyers, especially in Southern California where there are more Porsches per sq mile than anywhere else you care to look.

You could figure on needing to spend around A$7000 to $8000+ for shipping, port charges, GST, customes/quarantine, etc, etc, so that doesnt leave a lot to actually buy the car.

You need to start haunting the Forums like pelican and Early 911S Registry and join up on them to start searching for what cars are out there. Anything good will likely get snatched up before you get a chance to even ask for pics of it.

You can almost forget about 65 and 66 models which are fast becoming rarer and collectable, let alone trying to find one in original condition.

The pics below are of a '65 911 coupe in L.A. that sold for US$27,500, mainly because its a '65 model. It certainly wasnt the paintwork that clinched the sale.

Being over in Perth, you may find a Japanese car as there are several importers located in the west that seem to bring in cars, although I hear Japan is also drying up.

As happens with many news guys on this Forum, they eventually lower their sights once the grim reality of the situation sinks in as to what they can get for the budget they have. I hate to sound harsh but them's the facts at present on early 911's.

Keep searching, and as many members have said here, have your cash ready and be prepared to pounce.

Or just start saving a little harder and build up the war chest.....
        Attached Files
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi Andrew and welcome.

This board arguably will provide you with access to the majority of early 911s that come available for sale... Also keep your eye on the Aussie forum on Early S.

However even I am beginning to agree with the sentiment that the pool is getting shallow. I was exceptionally lucky recently when I picked up two '68 911s as a package deal - it would be crass of me to gloat, but the price was extremely reasonable and the cars yielded some terrific bits. But both were far from complete or drivable - the sum of parts will make a whole car though What I'm getting to is that if you keep your ear to the ground and cash ready to go, you may still have some luck.

If you take the import route - do your homework! Personally I'd stone up the coin for a cheap flight to the US (hard from Perth I know) and hunt for a car in person. You could engage someone over there to do the legwork and line up a selection of cars prior to your arrival.

In all honesty though, if you're not mechanically minded (or have time and space), stretch yourself a bit further and try to get into the $45-50k bracket. You should be able to get something in that range, and it should be nice enough that you'll move it easily if you need to quit it.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Also welcome Andrew. That budget will need to increase I also believe. My car is a SoCal import in LHD about 6 years ago. The PO did the importing from a private seller and certification locally. I have all the paperwork and it wasn't fast or easy, but he was thorough. Mine is an early 68. I had no problem buying a LHD in very good condition as I can see that there is a growing global market in both LHD and RHD cars.

Comment

Not endorsing this car in any way, but it does give a price point to compare to:

Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

And a bit less to spend on it than Phil's example!!
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Good pick Richard. Thats a typically good example and Adelaide is a lot closer to Perth than LA.

Has been for sale for a while so perhaps seller is negotiable.
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Welcome to the forum Adam
                    You will get plenty of advice from many fine men here...
                    Cheers and all the best, Luke
                    Ps - if you see a potential purchase here in Melb I'd be happy to assist with an initial viewing.

Comment

Hi all

Thank you all so much for all your responses and your offers of help – I really appreciate it.

Just to confirm I am looking for a decent condition car (not a project) . Phil mentioned Pelican and Early 911S registry forums are there any other places I should be looking?

Am happy to wait however it may be time for a trip to the US! Am there in June 2014 though not too sure I can wait that long!

Thanks again and as mentioned I would be happy to meet any WA members.

Thanks
                      Adam

Comment

The yellow 912 LHD on carsales last week sold pretty quickly @ $32K. Looked to be a bargain.

Comment

Hi Adam,
                          Welcome, if your heading downsouth sometime send me a pm and see if we can catch up.
                          Sean.
                          Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
                            Hi all

Thank you all so much for all your responses and your offers of help – I really appreciate it.

Just to confirm I am looking for a decent condition car (not a project) . Phil mentioned Pelican and Early 911S registry forums are there any other places I should be looking?

Am happy to wait however it may be time for a trip to the US! Am there in June 2014 though not too sure I can wait that long!

Thanks again and as mentioned I would be happy to meet any WA members.

Thanks
                            Adam
                            Hi Adam,

I bought my 1986 WTL on Ebay.com through Rennlist.com.

There is a service on there called the Rennfax where a forum member asks for assistance from other members that are close to the car for an initial inspection.

My car was located in Honolulu /Hawaii and 12h after I posted my request a fellow Rennlister checked the car out for me and took it for a spin.

He confirmed it to be in good condition and gave me the address of his mechanic to do a PPI in downtown Honolulu (best $150-$200 you can spend).

After that checked out ok, as well I paid a holding deposit via PayPal and booked a flight.

I would never ever buy a car sight unseen unless I have someone who I trust 100% has seen it in the flesh (or it was dirt cheap and you know in a worst case scenario you can recoup you investment by wrecking it).

Shipping and paperwork isn't that hard, and I am from Germany and don't even speak or read the language that well.

Just make sure you have all the facts, paperwork and cost sorted before you put any money down.

Customs won't release the car out of the bonded warehouse if you haven't organized an import approval before the vehicle goes on the ship.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/veh..._overview.aspx

I know a bloke who imports cars and parts probably twice a year so I could pass on your information to see if he has something for sale or in his Long Beach Warehouse in the USA or knows of any nice ones going over there.

Left hand drive is awesome, after all - thats how Porsche designed the cars in the first place
                            Last edited by KDF; 12-09-13, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KDF View Post
                              Left hand drive is awesome, after all - thats how Porsche designed the cars in the first place
                              Ka-Ching !
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Working...
                              X