Hi - introduction and looking for rhd narrow bodied shell/upwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi - introduction and looking for rhd narrow bodied shell/upwards

Hi, I'm new to this but have been lurking here for a while now. It's a good forum equal parts educational, informative and humourous! And there seems to be a tolerance for those who like to inject their own personalities into their cars!

I purchased the yellow 912 mentioned in a couple of posts, by accident really while looking for a rhd narrowed bodied car or shell or in between (aren't we all!). It's a good introduction to the early cars and is something that in time I'll work on with my son (only 7) in time, and will be his when 18.

It's not my first Porsche - I had a 993 for 18 months but whilst it was a great car, was too "clinical" for me. The mechanical grip meant that anything you could sensibly do on a road it just ate up. And as my Dad said "don't trust anything that doesn't rust or leak oil......

I can't believe I've left so long to experience the pleasures of these early cars! I've driven almost exclusively British cars since I was 18 - from Hillmans to Astons (prior to the price spirals!) to Jaguars to MG's and have occasionally jumped the pond with a BMW 2002 and a Fiat 850 Sports. But the driving experience of these cars is so rewarding, it' brought back that enjoyment of discovery from all those years ago!

I would appreciate a head start, confirmation etc of a few things if possible:

Who are the best interior guys? Is Blackmans good for these cars? Others?
    I used to use a guy by the name of Hearn (I think) in Eltham for the 993 and liked his attitude and enthusiasm - is he still around and are there any other recommendations?
    Reference books - I presume the Bayview book is good, and I have a copy of the Porsche 912 handbook - any others worth getting?
    Parts - Pelican and SierraM and EBay have Been on my viewing list - any others worth looking at?

Last of all as I note above I'm still looking for a narrow bodied rhd 912 or 911 (preferably) - from shell to driver, and anything in between. Any contacts or help outside the usual sites would be appreciated.

I look forward to meeting members here.

Julian

Hi Julian,

welcome aboard.

Your guy in Eltham is Phil Hearn of Auto Coupe. Phil is currently recovering form a hip replacement but Darren and Jye will look after you whilst he recovers.

Phil is definitely an early 911 and 356 guy with tone of knowledge and experience. He is an excellent engine and gearbox rebuilder plus anything else mechanical.

Blackmans are good for interiors, again, heaps of experience. Not cheap but you get it done right. There are others around and I am sure some members will chime in with recommendations.

Bring your car and son on a run sometime. We'll make sure he gets the bug too.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi, I was also wondering if anybody knows the weight of an early 912 and 911 body in white? Thanks Julian

Comment

Same as in red LOL

I assume you mean factory shell with nothing added??
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

No he meant white because white is lighter.

red is faster, everyone knows that.

(I know Julian appreciates some humour on the Forum every now and then).
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
            No he meant white because white is lighter.

red is faster, everyone knows that.

(I know Julian appreciates some humour on the Forum every now and then).
            Haha! Yes, I meant factory shell thanks.

I'll come to the next run, and bring the little fella.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X