WTB - 912......I need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB - 912......I need your help!

Hi all - I've been a recent lurker on your site and realized this is where the experts are! - so I've become a member.

I've been searching for a while for a 912 with no luck - I must have been looking in the wrong places . Demand seems to be going a little crazy so it's only getting harder.

I'm after an excellent condition or recently restored original 912 (ideally early). I'm somewhat mechanically challenged so I would prefer an example where most of the hard work is already done. Ideally matching numbers (nice but not essential) and original RHD (the car will be registered in SA and I understand RHD can be a challenge to get registration through?).

I'm equally interested in an late 60's 911 if the right example comes along.

As for budget I'm happy to pay above market rate for a great 912 $35K+ and for the 911 $80-$100K seems to be around the range.

I notice that nobody really mentions buying UK RHD cars, instead the focus seems to be on US examples - are these something I should stay away from due to rust?

Any guidance would be much appreciated on where to direct my search - or for those who have something nice in their garage that they might want to sell let me know what you have available!.

Cheers

Welcome

Rust is your enemy.

There are a few UK delivered cars here, but the truth is they copped a harsh life Old Blighty and those that survived are jealously guarded by their owners in the UK US cars, particularly those from the west experienced good climatic conditions and suffered little rust - combine that and the differences in the AU dollar over the years and they have been a good buy. The RHD vs LHD issue is moot now, and you shouldn't have any issues registering a car anywhere.

Anything Aussie delivered (912 or 911) traditionally gets a bit more $$, but condition should be your primary goal.

Good luck. You are right, here is where you're likely to score the better cars before they get put on the open market.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

You might be in luck depending on what Justin is planning to do with his recent double purchase.
      Failing that send me a PM and I can put you in touch with someone selling a 1966 LHD 912.

Comment

Thanks guys - I appreciate your help and advice. I hope Justin can part with one.....

I suspected that was the concern with UK cars - I've seen a few RHD options come up but have steered clear so far. Yes - rust is my enemy and I want to avoid it as much as possible so UK might be off the list!.

Sorry for the Typo - I obviously meant LHD is harder to gain registration in SA

Comment

Singapore or South Australia?

Comment

It's South Australia - I'm from Adelaide but living in Singapore at the moment.....confusing I know!

Comment

Hi TMK,
              I'm Julian, who has ended up in a short space of time with a 912 and a 911....

I thought the search for a 911 that made sense to me could literally take a year...so bought the fun rocket 912 in the short term. I was lucky enough to find a 911 only a month later.

My son has taken a shine to the 912, and has been told its his when he comes of age - but the treasurer says I'm a little long in cars and I have to sell some. I'll talk to the little fella tomorrow, and let you know where it stands.

I'll also put up some pics - it's a little "So-cal" which I like, but adjusting ride height is fairly simple, the colour (Bahamaish yellow) whilst period correct is not original, and the interior could be made a little me somber colour wise. But it appears to me that it's really solid, and has had a lot of work done to make it reliable. I haven't done a COA but the engine number is date correct for the car, and would think it unlikely not to be original but could get this done if you wanted.

I'd be happy to pass it on at cost if the little fella gets it, (gives me some breathing room and can source another over time) but would suggest that you have a third party from the forum etc look it over beforehand - what shortcomings someone will put up with in a car, and what's value to one person isn't necessairliy to another!

Regards

Comment

TMK,

Here are some pics, please note the plates didn't come with the car, and it is now registered 901-912, which I'll keep.

Regards
                Attached Files

Comment

TMK - this is at the Healy Factory in Ringwood/Melbourne - its a LHD conversion, but they ascertain its bee done well - maybe someone on the forum can recommend someone to do a PPI for you - its in your price range, and as I understand it the E is considered a very good drivers car.

Regards

Comment

TMK, Hi.

Apologies but the look on my little fellas face (and mine now I think about it!) means I can't part with the car, I'm sorry.

For what its worth I looked, apart from sites here in Australia, at Haggle Me (rollers that usually have been prepped etc) Hemmings (better stuff) and Ebay US (everything).

Regards

Comment

if I was 7 and offered a classic porsche when i turned 18... i'd be gutted at the suggestion of selling it too!!!

come to think of it, i'm still annoyed my father sold his e-type (not that i would have been the only sibling seeking ownership)...
                      Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

No problem Julian - I appreciated the offer. I totally understand why you want to keep it. Part of the reason I'm after a few cars is so I can work on them with my son's also!.

Thanks also for the tips on what sites to look at- I wasn't familiar with Haggle Me so I'll check it out.

Good luck with the sale of the Aston and Jag!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
                          TMK - this is at the Healy Factory in Ringwood/Melbourne - its a LHD conversion, but they ascertain its bee done well - maybe someone on the forum can recommend someone to do a PPI for you - its in your price range, and as I understand it the E is considered a very good drivers car.

Regards

This actual car was my first entry into the 901 world many moons ago! It certainly did have a substantial history- even the original number plates from France if memory serves me correctly!

The original colour for the car was Fraise which is certainly a colour from the 70s that you must love! And I know that Fishcop loves it from previous discussions on the colour!

Cheers
                          Craig Sedgman
                          914/6 GT Clone Project
                          996 C2.1

Comment

Who doesn't love strawberry
                            John Forcier
                            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                            Restoration Saga
                            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                            X