No announcement yet.

Sporto anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Familiar scenario Pete. I bought mine in 2001 sight unseen (apart from photos) from very reputable seller in Adelaide....a bloke called Chris. Luckily for me it was by referral and was never advertised in public domain.
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Originally posted by PD Targa View Post
      Agree with you Nick. Car was definitely Aus delivered as confirmed by Hugh. Although I estimated just from the photos that it needed at least $25k of body work. Full respray, panel damage rear quarter, door and front. Also not knowing what the mechanicals are like.
      Peter don't feel too bad unless you were prepared to throw plenty at it you are better off missing the deal, it needs plenty by the looks of it to me and from what I have heard, seen and read

Its coming to Vic won't be saying any more than that.
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

It's all good Clyde. Next one.
        Peter D

TYP901# 233
        911T Coupe 68
        911E Targa 73
        911E Coupe 72 (sold)
        1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Its the quick and the dead in the early 911 market and you have to be prepared to move fast and possibly take a risk. Maybe you should have locked in a contract with a cash deposit and the balance "subject to inspection".

I thought it sounded like a good deal at the price but I have enough cars already.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
            Its coming to Vic won't be saying any more than that.
            Cleared some space in the attic then Clyde?

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
              Its the quick and the dead in the early 911 market and you have to be prepared to move fast and possibly take a risk. Maybe you should have locked in a contract with a cash deposit and the balance "subject to inspection".

I thought it sounded like a good deal at the price but I have enough cars already.
              That's what annoyed me Phil about the seller. I offered a deposit and the response was 'no need, happy to hold it until Sundays inspection'. I guess when he received the call on Saturday and an unconditional offer was made by the new owner, he took it.
              Peter D

TYP901# 233
              911T Coupe 68
              911E Targa 73
              911E Coupe 72 (sold)
              1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Who knows how many calls he got on it and he obviously was after a quick sale; which he got.

A lesson learnt I am sure. Were you after a new "project" car ? Sounds like it did need some work on it. Will be interesting to see where it surfaces and what actually needs to get done to it.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by PD Targa View Post
                  That's what annoyed me Phil about the seller. I offered a deposit and the response was 'no need, happy to hold it until Sundays inspection'. I guess when he received the call on Saturday and an unconditional offer was made by the new owner, he took it.
                  Yeah maybe a call back to you was in order saying I have had an offer at full price right now do you want to match and its yours.

You wouldn't have believed him anyway if he had said that.

Cheers
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Originally posted by DJ911 View Post
                    Cleared some space in the attic then Clyde?
                    Definately not me, I missed all the posts until after the sale when I saw the pics I wasn't sad I had not seen the first posts and I don't like sportos
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Mmmm, the thread is making me a little nervous.....for several reasons.....the 69T I bought....sight unseen......and the price of an engine rebuild discussed in another post. It arrives at Spencer Harris's on Thursday.

Whilst I've seen many discussions around the pricing of engine rebuilds, and aren't completely surprised by the prices mentioned here and in other threads, I'm still finding it difficult to understand the total......would somebody be able to breakdown where the cost lies, ie in parts, labour(surely this couldn't be for more than 20-30 (tops) hours), machining etc?
                      Thanks
                      Julian

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
                        Mmmm, the thread is making me a little nervous.....for several reasons.....the 69T I bought....sight unseen......and the price of an engine rebuild discussed in another post. It arrives at Spencer Harris's on Thursday.

Whilst I've seen many discussions around the pricing of engine rebuilds, and aren't completely surprised by the prices mentioned here and in other threads, I'm still finding it difficult to understand the total......would somebody be able to breakdown where the cost lies, ie in parts, labour(surely this couldn't be for more than 20-30 (tops) hours), machining etc?
                        Thanks
                        Julian
                        Julian, as a recent benefactor of a full rebuild for my '69T, I can say that it really depends on what needs doing as to what the bottom line will be. In my case, my car required a fairly extensive rebuild, and as it stands the labour costs were just a quarter of the total bill. Because I wanted to fit nickie barrels, heads & pistons, I needed to source a secondhand crankshaft rather than regrind the one I had, so already we're at about $6k (incl. nickies, heads, pistons etc), add gasket set @ $500, rebuild clutch, starter motor & an array of other stuff that is worth doing once you have a motor out of the car & i doesn't take long to run up a decent bill. Countless sundries like valve guides, bearings, sealants, nuts, bolts, clamps etc all add up quickly, too!

The bottom line is that as long as you get the right person to rebuild the motor to start with - same as with body work, (and you are using one of the BEST in the business in Spencer) you will never look back! Happy to chat with you more about this via PM if you like, as I'm not sure its such good form discussing specifics on the forum.
                        Mark Munro
                        '69 911T (sold)
                        '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
                        '69 MG Midget Group S car
                        TYP901 Register #196

Comment

I reckon the last set of exhaust valves I bought were $800.
                          As Mark says, if you need new camshafts, timing chains and sprockets and rockers needed machining etc. etc. it can get ugly very quickly.

Comment

My experience with the 2.2S rebuild is that the price can swing up fairly dramatically if you discover important parts that cannot be reused. That is, the machine shop can't just resurface them or rebalance them . . . they must be replaced. Examples where you could get bad news:

-Crank shaft
                            -Cam shaft
                            -Rods
                            -Pistons
                            -Cylinder heads and valves
                            -Barrels
                            -Oil pump
                            Last edited by npvpositive; 16-10-13, 10:36 AM.

Comment

This is why so many engines and chassis have been separated over the years - it was easier and cheaper to find a running motor and just replace. Now we're at a cross road where the value of the car is kept by ensuring engine stays with the chassis, and that can mean pretty expensive rebuilds... This is another reason why values of good cars are climbing steeply! Even the lowly "Tee"

FWIW, you can still use a replacement engine and have many happy years of driving whilst you quietly rebuild the original case at your own pace and as budget allows (this is what is happening on my 69). There are also lots of components that have been reproduced very well and that are pretty much invisible which can keep costs down such as pistons, camshafts, fastening hardware and hardlines. As the other guys have mentioned, a great mechanic/engineer is key to the process.

Before you fall into a great depression and suffer remorse; wait for Spencer to assess it properly and offer you unbiased advice. Other than catastrophic failures, the great thing about these old cars is that they can be nursed and you can limp on for a long time
                              John Forcier
                              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                              Restoration Saga
                              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I was at Auto Coupe today collecting some parts from Darren.

I casually asked what a full rebuild using new pistons and barrells was typically going for these days $30k plus was the answer.

If a car needs engine AND gearbox as the $30k is engine only, plus paint ($20k - $40k depending on rust issues) and interior/wheels external trim and so on and so on not going to be much change of out of $100k if you do it all correctly and without personnel input like John was able to do.
                                Clyde Boyer
                                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X